Name clean out

DirectorTseng

I know that this has been posted before but NC, it is time to look at possibly going through and cleaning up old and inactive accounts and making names available once more. With the system of a single name allowed per region names are extremely difficult to come by and many are resorting to using alt codes in order to achieve even a semblance of the name they want. If you look in f2 to see if a name is available you see it taken.. by a level 1 that has never gone anywhere and the account is long dead. 

It wouldn't be hard to see what accounts are inactive for over 5-6 months change the name to simply have numbers in them and offer a free name change voucher is the account becomes active again. 

Lineage 2 did something similar when they did a mass server merge just like was done here. Since they allowed the same name to exist on every server and could be owned by multiple people the person with the highest level kept the original name and those under had a number added to their name and a free name change voucher in their mail box. 

Something needs to be done before gunner. 

I have been inactive for 5-6 months and come back, I would be pissed if my names suddenly were taken, and what about my chars would they been reset?

also, names can have a bad reputation to them, if a jerk/troll lost their name, and I took it after I would hate to have that stigmata on me

All names are gone because unscrupulous people use countless email accounts to register every name they can think of and then sell the names later on.

there is a website that sells you almost any name you want.

They can do that because they already own every name you can imagine.

They are the same A-holes using stolen accounts to whisper you every sixty seconds to log on to their server with your username and password for free gold.

I'd love to seize the name Sephiroth from the lvl 8 blade master that's been sitting there for a year and give it to my lvl 50 active blademaster who was actually made to look like Sephiroth >.>;

Though even if this happened, I bet the people that sell names would hop on as soon as they could and snatch them all up again =.=;

The problem with a name clean out, is that reserving a name or two was one of the big perks of the founder packs.

Some of those people could argue they bought the pack just to reserve a name to come back to later on.

There'd be issues with a name clean out, since there's money involved in a lot of the names.

As Iholly mentioned though, the issues would be easily avoided if they simply did a name clean out on all of the non founders only.

But in that case, a lot of the good names people want might still not be freed up.

That's why i said that there needs to be a set time of the account being inactive for that to classify under the name clean up. It would not be such a big issue if they did not lock the name to a region instead of to the server. While there was money invovled, if a founder has not logged in in over 8 months there is an extremely high chance that they aren't coming back. For those that were founders the name can be 'locked' say for 30 days after the initial clean up so they can log in and keep the name. If they don't log in the name becomes free again. 

9 hours ago, Inugami said:

I'd love to seize the name Sephiroth from the lvl 8 blade master that's been sitting there for a year and give it to my lvl 50 active blademaster who was actually made to look like Sephiroth >.>;

Though even if this happened, I bet the people that sell names would hop on as soon as they could and snatch them all up again =.=;

No shit right.. I would have loved to have taken Tseng but it' some low level that hasn't been touched in a year. 

Archived