Really?

Leeboi26

I agree. It just now happened to me and my whole party. It's bad enough when you're playing a ping-dependent class in the first place (FM), but when not ONE attack executes for over 5 minutes, while you run around, watching your team die off and DC, left and right, it's ridiculous.

Hey, you guys running this game: Get your act together already. You know there's a problem, and we know you've heard this all before, but this crap has gone on for way too long now.

MAtRQK1.jpg

DDoS is basically the servers getting hit by a mountain of dummy traffic slowing everything down to a screeching halt. Very hard to defend against if not impossible.

In computing, a denial-of-service attack (DoS attack) is a cyber-attack where the perpetrator seeks to make a machine or network resource unavailable to its intended users by temporarily or indefinitely disrupting services of a host connected to the Internet. Denial of service is typically accomplished by flooding the targeted machine or resource with superfluous requests in an attempt to overload systems and prevent some or all legitimate requests from being fulfilled.

In a distributed denial-of-service attack (DDoS attack), the incoming traffic flooding the victim originates from many different sources. This effectively makes it impossible to stop the attack simply by blocking a single source.

A DoS or DDoS attack is analogous to a group of people crowding the entry door or gate to a shop or business, and not letting legitimate parties enter into the shop or business, disrupting normal operations.

Criminal perpetrators of DoS attacks often target sites or services hosted on high-profile web servers such as banks or credit card payment gateways. Revenge, blackmail and activism can motivate these attacks.

The first things to do in DDoS mitigation is to identify normal conditions for network traffic by defining “traffic patterns”, which is necessary for threat detection and alerting. DDoS mitigation also requires identifying incoming traffic to separate human traffic from human-like bots and hijacked web browsers. The process is done by comparing signatures and examining different attributes of the traffic, including IP addresses, cookie variations, HTTP headers, and Javascript footprints.

One technique is to pass network traffic addressed to a potential target network through high-capacity networks with "traffic scrubbing" filters

The server faults every day around the US peak hours, immediately following the launch of a new heavily hyped game. I'm sure it must be a DDoS attack orchestrated by the Chinese out to get NCSoft and not matter of the server being over utilized. . .

The problem is annoying for sure but I can tell from the info given it's no easy fix. I waited years to get better internet so I could play games online but most of all this one. I just got it installed last week and I can honestly say I heavily enjoy it and look forward to playing more. This DDoS attack is making things a little difficult and frustrating for me but I trust NCSOFT to get it fixed so if it takes a few days more to make sure we have a playable game then go for it. I waited a long time to play this game, I can wait a little more no problem. ?

• Ooneka locked this topic

Archived