Windstorm underwhelming?

Yashuoa

So I recently became lvl 44 and now I have the Windstorm spell.

I really looked forward to it, but I guess I didnt look much at the dmg and focus cost tooltip.

It can cost quite some focus (1 or 2 dependable on talents) and I dont find the dmg all that big.

Besides this it has a crit modifier.

So why should I use Windstorm in for example a 1 on 1 pvp fight, when I can use a different spell that,

does more dmg for the same or less cost,

a different spell which chills

or a spell which does bit less single target dmg but also cost less (like blazing palm), which makes me have more focus left afterwards?

Or can you weave blazing palms/frost palms in your Windstorm?

If so how to time this?

Maybe I am overlooking something but it looks to me that Windstorm could really use a boost.

I dont see why I would press Windstorm over something else,

unless I have way to much focus and unless I dont need chill in that time window more than Windstorm dmg.

Now, I'm not sure about PvP, but PvE it is useful for boosting crit. More crit mean more damage from everything you use while the buff is active. At lower levels, I kept it trained, but now I don't any longer because using it build threat. Been working with a few other's in my clan to get a good build for high dps but low threat so we will steal agg less from the melee we group with in general. 

In pve is useless,in pvp you don't have much choice anyway when you do the double air combo.2 will be socketed on dragonchar and this doesn't hit people in the air.For obvious reason LB and RB are slow and not that viable for the short period of time you have to do some dmg.F is good.

In pve my windsorm 0 SP crit for 3k...my LB alone crit for 8-9k...you figure if it's worth it.

On ‎20‎-‎5‎-‎2016 at 10:30 PM, Iaosise said:

Now, I'm not sure about PvP, but PvE it is useful for boosting crit. More crit mean more damage from everything you use while the buff is active. At lower levels, I kept it trained, but now I don't any longer because using it build threat. Been working with a few other's in my clan to get a good build for high dps but low threat so we will steal agg less from the melee we group with in general. 

20 hours ago, Teffy said:

In pve is useless,in pvp you don't have much choice anyway when you do the double air combo.2 will be socketed on dragonchar and this doesn't hit people in the air.For obvious reason LB and RB are slow and not that viable for the short period of time you have to do some dmg.F is good.

In pve my windsorm 0 SP crit for 3k...my LB alone crit for 8-9k...you figure if it's worth it.

No build exists where it would be useful to spec blazing beam to shoot on airborne?

So what I understand Windstorm could use quite a boost right?

Like more dmg, less focus cost, longer duration buff, something like that or some other benifit.

One of these or a combination of these.

Giving it a boost wouldnt buff FM to much in pve, nor in pvp (if the boost aint too big obviously),

yet would be helpful and make the windstorm spell more useful? It could give the spell a better purpose,

rather than an ''meh I  better press something else'' spell?

Yes?

Blazing beams is not that great for PVP except for summoners - them we pve like mobs :P

Rest classes are more complicated and as we have limited stuns/dazes It's good to spec 2 into dragonchar mid branch for daze.Most use it that way anyway.And air combo doesn't really work well vs summoners unless you kill ther pet which I barely do - I don't give the summoner chance to breathe and usually 99% of the time they die as summoners after using 2 and X protection are pretty much hopeless.However the damn cat can cc you while you`re performing the double air combo so I don't bother.

On ‎21‎-‎5‎-‎2016 at 1:07 AM, Teffy said:

Blazing beams is not that great for PVP except for summoners - them we pve like mobs :P

Rest classes are more complicated and as we have limited stuns/dazes It's good to spec 2 into dragonchar mid branch for daze.Most use it that way anyway.And air combo doesn't really work well vs summoners unless you kill ther pet which I barely do - I don't give the summoner chance to breathe and usually 99% of the time they die as summoners after using 2 and X protection are pretty much hopeless.However the damn cat can cc you while you`re performing the double air combo so I don't bother.

What is your view regarding the mentioned windstorm boost part, in my post above your last post?

• 3 weeks later...

Windstorm is fine as it is. You just have to know when to use it properly. You need to at least spec into T2F1 and only use it when the target is grappled, grabbed or phantom gripped and the target is burning. It's best to toss a short fuse if you have it off CD to give yourself that 10 second window of burning. It also helps to have the fire buff up. You will need LMB HM skill for it to almost compete with windstorm under the right conditions and even then it doesn't do as much damage. I don't know what kind of AP that poster had where he said his wind storm does 3k and his LMB does 7 to 8k but my LMB does 7k and my wind storm does 6k x2 each cast, and it casts faster than a LMB + RMB combo. I can only assume he either didn't spec into the additional damage of wind storm, which you need to if you want to use it, or he didn't use it at the proper time.

So, you still haven't figured out that it casts 2 times on each press for 2 Chi, and not 1..........Sad. As an ex-Spellsinger I know that 2x10K > 1x15K, and considering the crit rate increase, it's not bad at all. To all of that add that on tier 3 it doesn't increase thread, and that's really important....For PvP you may want it on Move 2, because when you cast it on airborn, it'll regen 1 Chi, so it'll cost 1 Chi, casts way faster than anything else, deals the dmg 2 times not one (and that's very important). For me, as main FM, I haven't found useless skills so far, the skill may be useless w/o giving it some SP, but can be VERY useful if you do (ex. Sin/KFM buff doesn't exist w/o enchant, Frost Sheath doesn't exist w/o enchant either).

• 4 weeks later...

The only thing that is really wrong with WS is that parties tend to knock down enemies too much, meaning that Soulburns get completely wasted because I can't spam Dual Dragons but this severely less powerful spell instead.

Archived