How viable is "cat tanking" for content that has yet to be released?

Lorelei

Pretty much what the topic says...a group of buddies wants to start running endgame stuff together, but all of them want to main FMs/WLs (@__@) and nobody wants to play a tanking class. I've heard that for 50 content a tank is pretty much mandatory, but would a Summoner cat tank also work? My Sum is reasonably geared, and while I prefer FM I wouldn't mind sticking with Sum if it meant that my friends could play what they enjoy in future content releases.

Thanks for any responses or insight. :)

Well it.. tanks. I didnt play the other versions, so all i say is based on my expectations and understanding of the game. 

It should work, but not as good as a full-time tank would work. A bm or something alike would keep the mob pretty much in place for the full duration of the fight and also keep aggro for the full duration of the fight. At least if the boss doesnt like to jump around all the time^^

If you want to tank with the cat, you have to compensate for it. The cat only tanks 2/3 of the time if i remember right. That means that after 8 seconds you all would have to cc the boss for 4 seconds so that the cat can tank after that again. And keep in mind: not all bosses can be cc'ed and generally bosses can not be cc'ed all the time (white bars = unable to cc). 

TL;DR: Possible, but you will have to compensate and generally have a harder time. Not impossible tho i guess. But again, i didnt play level 50 content yet so people who know better might rightfully disagree. 

EDIT: Generally alternating between warlock chains and cat tank would help against most melee bosses, but i dont think you get around the cc'able problem without a tank. You could kite and iframe that time tho..

I'm used to compensating for the 4-second downtime on my Sum currently, I just wasn't sure if there were any new complications that might arise in 50 content.

my BM is already level 40, so I guess I have time to gear and learn how to play that, but frankly melee seems frustrating as hell to play and I'm not sure how people manage it on stuff like Terrors/Wyrm/Hae Mujin (stop spinning already FFS).

1 minute ago, Elynya said:

Some dungeon yes you can tank with a cat but most level 50 heroic dungeon has an aggro mechanic if you messed up your party aggro it's most likely a wipe use it as an emergency tanker is fine.

"Aggro mechanic"? Is this something similar to BW's poison puddle spam if Summoners use their Q taunt on him? If so, I might pass on the idea lol.

- boss attack  alway follow an order if they have a target to attack

if in just one second or less , the target lose their aggro , the whole order gonna reset or worser mixed ... you totally don't want it ... all of them have some range attack or AoE attack to against the ranged like Sum , if their aggro reset , they gonna instantly use those to their target => no cat in BW

Cat can't hold that much Aggro in whole the raid and when he/she messed it , you team die

- Sometime tank must lure boss to somewhere to avoid wipe out team skills (that BM can dodge easily), Sum can try it by pull their cat back , and kill themself instead 

and yeah ... cat cant dodge , iframe ...

On 05/03/2016 at 11:29 AM, Lorelei said:

Pretty much what the topic says...a group of buddies wants to start running endgame stuff together, but all of them want to main FMs/WLs (@__@) and nobody wants to play a tanking class. I've heard that for 50 content a tank is pretty much mandatory, but would a Summoner cat tank also work? My Sum is reasonably geared, and while I prefer FM I wouldn't mind sticking with Sum if it meant that my friends could play what they enjoy in future content releases.

Thanks for any responses or insight. :)

Nope, because fms and wls will outburst u and therefore u can hold the boss for ~10seconds then it's all up to cat taunt... 

Summoner do too little dmg to be primary tank for boss, they serve well as a secondary tank for boss or prim tank for mobs.

Like always the boss will go after the fms once ur cat taunt ends if the fm has same gear as u because they just do more dmg XD 

Hence you just take 2x Summoner's.

From what ive seen people say in Korea... 

Dmg tier is

Assasin/FM/Summoner-Destroyer/etc etc

So only the FM will out threat a Summoner in reality of dps uptime, as sin dumps agro.

19 hours ago, Kiaris said:

Hence you just take 2x Summoner's.

From what ive seen people say in Korea... 

Dmg tier is

Assasin/FM/Summoner-Destroyer/etc etc

So only the FM will out threat a Summoner in reality of dps uptime, as sin dumps agro.

If that is the case then the Assassin's will have to throttle back when the battle begins until the tank is high enough on the agro list to hold agro throughout.

Archived