These cinematics man

animekitty

I just stand around think ohh what pretty fire and everyone runs around me like there is a void around me. The only time my character has reacted was to put my fists up and I was screaming dude wtf are you doing you are't no kung fu master pull out your dam sword.

I still enjoy the cutscenes even if what you say is pretty true. Sadly this counts for almost all narrative mmos where your character is included in the cutscenes. Since most of the character interactions at least for the main characters are unique animations to those cutscenes. It would be really a lot of work to give the player character any meaningful interaction in those, because this would mean having to choreograph fight scenes for each individual class.

Here also comes a disconnect between two narratives: First the gameplay narrative and second the story narrative. During gameplay you slay thousands of enemies and are generally referred to as the hero of the story (in this game not from the start at least :P) but inside those story cutscenes you character always seems kinda disconnected of what is happening and making him/her more look like someone who just stumbled into this without the prior experience he/she has gained during the gameplay elements.

SWTOR had best story elements for an MMO, it was like playing Mass Effect or Dragon Age with other people. But that was about all it had, the combat was meh, and didn't keep me interested because I play for story then PvP and I'm not much of a shooter fan. :/

Just a little update. My character has started to be more alive! Now he can collide with people in mid air, I've probably switched bodies by now. Also got to an epic scene where another guy was going to fight the big baddies "well you know what happened next" *cricket* you cinematic!

Archived