gold sellers are getting smarter (AND BUYING PREMIUM!)

Ominas

Now that Im way past the Viridian Coast area, I never encounter any gold selling spam in region chat. But occasionally there will be someone spamming the faction chat with their gold selling. Two days ago there was a gold seller in the crimson faction chat, I remember them specifically because they didn't have a name like the other bots/spammers. Their name was like that of any legit character (but kinda of awkward sounding) and I remember at first thinking that it was someone "joking" around until it got to the point where they just spammed so much that I blocked/reported.

Today I went back to Bamboo Village to see a friend that has just started playing the game. And guess who I see? The bot I reported two days ago! It's definitely that person because I remember their name, plus it says that I got them blocked. But what surprised me the most is that they got an actual premium membership icon next to their name.......... :/ So they're just standing there, in their crimson uniform, with their hongmoon weapon, normal sounding name, and premium membership... looking just like any other legit player.

5 minutes ago, 846806_1452550169 said:

Now that Im way past the Viridian Coast area, I never encounter any gold selling spam in region chat. But occasionally there will be someone spamming the faction chat with their gold selling. Two days ago there was a gold seller in the crimson faction chat, I remember them specifically because they didn't have a name like the other bots/spammers. Their name was like that of any legit character (but kinda of awkward sounding) and I remember at first thinking that it was someone "joking" around until it got to the point where they just spammed so much that I blocked/reported.

Today I went back to Bamboo Village to see a friend that has just started playing the game. And guess who I see? The bot I reported two days ago! It's definitely that person because I remember their name, plus it says that I got them blocked. But what surprised me the most is that they got an actual premium membership icon next to their name.......... :/ So they're just standing there, in their crimson uniform, with their hongmoon weapon, normal sounding name, and premium membership... looking just like any other legit player.

OR, they're using a hacked account of another player that may have quit due to queues/issues with the game.

We get maybe 1 every hour in Cerulean chat, and boy is that guy determined to get his message across before he is blocked.... Yes just BLOCKED because reporting them seems pointless. They are till there if you unblock them, meaning all those i have reported..... nothing has happened to them.

We keep getting lip service from the mods here that they are working on it, but there is zero evidence this is actually happening.

Test this yerselves  and unblock some of those bots you blocked a few days ago... they are still there if it is there "Shift" to spam.

5 minutes ago, Barnivere said:

OR, they're using a hacked account of another player that may have quit due to queues/issues with the game.

dont think it was a hacked account, if it is then they hacked two people with "matching" names, because around the time this person was spamming another with an equally awkward sounding name was spamming as well. I won't name call because idk if it's against forum rules but it was basically like: [Common English Name]of[random word that doesnt make any sense]

example: Jamesofbottle

2 minutes ago, 846806_1452550169 said:

dont think it was a hacked account, if it is then they hacked two people with "matching" names, because around the time this person was spamming another with an equally awkward sounding name was spamming as well. I won't name call because idk if it's against forum rules but it was basically like: [Common English Name]of[random word that doesnt make any sense]

example: Jamesofbottle

Or they hacked two people and created similar sounding characters on unused slots. A great many people are lax enough on protecting their accounts that gold sellers don't have to lay down any money to purchase accounts to spam with - they can just access the accounts of the unwary.

20 minutes ago, Dradiinmmo said:

We get maybe 1 every hour in Cerulean chat, and boy is that guy determined to get his message across before he is blocked.... Yes just BLOCKED because reporting them seems pointless.

Reporting them should be useless.  Just like banning would be useless.  I'd much rather have my existing blocks work than have to recreate 50 more blocks every time I log in because all the old ones were all banned and thus they created new accounts with new names.

Banning spammers only hurts the players.  It in no way diminishes the spam.  Hopefully when they say they're working on it, they mean they're working on mechanisms that simply prevent the ability to spam, or affects the gold buyers.

Archived