How to escape SF death combo? (BM)

Asura777

Sooo there's not too many soul fighters like this but I've definitely met at least 5 so far that as soon as they get me in any kind of cc, I'm dead. Dead. No ifs or buts. 

I have basically all escapes specced including Flock of Blades but I never even get the option to escape... Any advice?

A noob BM doesn't know why he lost, but a pro BM knows why he can't win:

• Their counter has no visible animation that you can see at all (even if you are playing an SF you can hardly notice your own animation, lol) so you have to predict it. Most SF will use the autostun version on BM so this is like really OP version of parry because it's not limited to the 0.5 second window for stun. If you think the SF will use this the only way you can approach them is you have to SS and immediately 5 point strike so that the iframe resists the stun and you continue through with the daze > aerial.
  • In the event that they do mess up really badly, they can run away either with 4 dash iframes or chi level 5 speed buff whenever things look bad for them.
  • The 4 dash iframes also means that SF should always win the opener. 
  • They have so many ways to disable block.
  • They can do double aerial for nearly 50% of your HP off a single CC, by range stunning you before you land on the ground and then relaunching. When you land again they guard disable you which leaves you with only F roll or tab escape. You can't tab unless you are really low HP because the daze will not land, and F roll will just get tech chased.
  • They have essentially 2 of KFM's HM Z's. They are actually even more powerful than the KFM's because SF has the dash iframes to use together with it which means they can just teleport in front of you while being immune and then stun/daze you through block. The only thing you can do vs this is to SS immediately, but if you get caught by the AoE freeze + block disable afterwards, it's over.
  • It is not safe to block vs SF. They will just hold down their F daze/gap closing guard break as soon as you block. Destroyers have a very similar thing, and this opens you up to the possibility of getting hit by their other ranged stuns if you don't block. However it is far worse that SF has this skill because in a matchup where a single stun means you lose 50% HP from aerials without any good chance to tab escape, you really can't afford to get CC'ed. You need your block + HM block to deal with this safely, however, they can just use their 5 seconds iframe vs your iframe so you're left gambling on the block bait. 

22 hours ago, Avalyn said:

Not a BM here, but as a KFM, some of my most brutal losses were against SF. I have the feeling that a lot of the PvP SF players are former KFMs, and the SF toolkit seems to make up for a lot of the weaknesses of KFM. I need to learn how to better deal with that double aerial because it's quite a pain.

On 10/17/2016 at 11:21 PM, Avalyn said:

• Their counter has no visible animation that you can see at all (even if you are playing an SF you can hardly notice your own animation, lol) so you have to predict it. Most SF will use the autostun version on BM so this is like really OP version of parry because it's not limited to the 0.5 second window for stun. If you think the SF will use this the only way you can approach them is you have to SS and immediately 5 point strike so that the iframe resists the stun and you continue through with the daze > aerial.
  • In the event that they do mess up really badly, they can run away either with 4 dash iframes or chi level 5 speed buff whenever things look bad for them.
  • The 4 dash iframes also means that SF should always win the opener. 
  • They have so many ways to disable block.
  • They can do double aerial for nearly 50% of your HP off a single CC, by range stunning you before you land on the ground and then relaunching. When you land again they guard disable you which leaves you with only F roll or tab escape. You can't tab unless you are really low HP because the daze will not land, and F roll will just get tech chased.
  • They have essentially 2 of KFM's HM Z's. They are actually even more powerful than the KFM's because SF has the dash iframes to use together with it which means they can just teleport in front of you while being immune and then stun/daze you through block. The only thing you can do vs this is to SS immediately, but if you get caught by the AoE freeze + block disable afterwards, it's over.
  • It is not safe to block vs SF. They will just hold down their F daze/gap closing guard break as soon as you block. Destroyers have a very similar thing, and this opens you up to the possibility of getting hit by their other ranged stuns if you don't block. However it is far worse that SF has this skill because in a matchup where a single stun means you lose 50% HP from aerials without any good chance to tab escape, you really can't afford to get CC'ed. You need your block + HM block to deal with this safely, however, they can just use their 5 seconds iframe vs your iframe so you're left gambling on the block bait. 

A few things.

1. A SF will never get 5-stacks of Chi on a BM without using Focus Chi....which is retarded. No SF ever would Focus Chi only to get away from you, and if they did, they'd be a pretty stupid one. 

2. The opener thing isn't *necessarily* true. BM has about as good opening skills as SF does, but it is indeed more likely that a SF will win the opener. 

3. You can't double aerial off of one CC. It will always take at the very least two. 

4. What? We don't have anything that vaccums our opponents into us. We certainly don't have two of them. What are you talking about? 

5. You can avoid the block disable thing by cancelling block if you think a SF is going to hit you. If you are going to stand there and block, a SF will most likely switch to Daze Howling Blast, but for the most part, most Soul Fighters run KD Howling Blast, which you have to hit into our i-frames for. 

Archived