GTX 960 OC 4GB vs R9 280 4GB

Hi. I plan to buy a new GPU.  I will choose between this 2 models

GIGABYTE N960OC-4GD and  GIGABYTE R938XG1-GAMING-4GD

My hardware

Intel® Core™ i5-6500 Processor /3.2G/6M/BOX/LGA1151

2X8G DDR3 2133 KINGST PREDATOR

GIGABYTE GA-H170-D3H

Samsung 850 EVO Series, 250 GB SSD

As I see the Radeon is better technically speaking...

But as I know some games are optimized for Nvidia, so what will be the best choice for me.

BTW I test the Nvidia for couple of days and I am not very fascinated... with all effects on. On bosses like Poharan and Мistery man its lagging a lot. but solo and normal partys is around 60-100fps.

I've been an AMD fan for long time but I honestly would still go with NVIDIA GTX 960 OC.

On this game, GPU is not a huge problem. A GTX 960 is more than enough. It's the CPU that does all the computing when there's a lot of players around you. 

When will people stop believing the 'Optimised for NVidia thing' :)

its a promotion they pay the games companies etc to entice people into buying their products

and they have been accused many times in the past years of fudging their specs and tests

AMD is always my choice since you get what it says on the tin

I have an r9 290 4gb and its pretty beast the only problem is i think it doesn't support blade and soul as much an nvidia would because i sometimes get a few crashes with an error announcement saying ''Grphic card has stopped working''

1 hour ago, DRGoodfellow said:

its a promotion they pay the games companies etc to entice people into buying their products

and they have been accused many times in the past years of fudging their specs and tests

This are no bullshits. I saw with my eyes weaker GPU on Nvidia to make 15-20fps more from Ati GPU. On Nvidia optimized 3D shooter.

38 minutes ago, DRGoodfellow said:

This^

I recently set up a rig for someone with the main show being a Gtx Titan Z.

What Nvidia doesnt tell you, after you spend about 2000$, is that the card runs hot and loud as f...meaning you have to put them under liquid to even have a chance of maxing it out.

So that brings up the question of hidden costs of the card, the person, after spending roughly 2k on a card, had to fork out extra money for liquid cooling setup and cooling backplate despite the card coming with an air cooler set up thats mediocre for a card such as this, running it on air cooling is not optional, nvidia doesn't tell you this. 

Then there's the full accessing of the actual graphics memory, 12gb graphics? Forget it, frame buffer is 12gb and for a system running windows to be able to access all of this should be rocking  a *cricket* solid 24gb+ in ram, owner had to fork out more money to move from their planned 16gb ram and had to change their OS because with the 16gb ram the card locks to about 8GB graphics and. Again, more hidden costs.

They had to fork out more money for a psut, their original plan was a 600W, they had to bump up to 850w. Again, with the hidden costs?

NVIDIA always does this shit, they tell you one thing and you have to figure out the rest on your own...even if it means spending 2 grand to learn a lesson. They know they can charge whatever price on high end latest graphics behemoths and get away with it because majority of consumers see a price tag and assume everything is ready and running at optimum out of the box.

Had this been an AMD product you'd get exactly what you pay for and nothing less, bang for buck.

40 minutes ago, KaLnoX said:

This^

I recently set up a rig for someone with the main show being a Gtx Titan Z.

What Nvidia doesnt tell you, after you spend about 2000$, is that the card runs hot and loud as f...meaning you have to put them under liquid to even have a chance of maxing it out.

So that brings up the question of hidden costs of the card, the person, after spending roughly 2k on a card, had to fork out extra money for liquid cooling setup and cooling backplate despite the card coming with an air cooler set up thats mediocre for a card such as this, running it on air cooling is not optional, nvidia doesn't tell you this. 

Then there's the full accessing of the actual graphics memory, 12gb graphics? Forget it, frame buffer is 12gb and for a system running windows to be able to access all of this should be rocking  a *cricket* solid 24gb+ in ram, owner had to fork out more money to move from their planned 16gb ram and had to change their OS because with the 16gb ram the card locks to about 8GB graphics and. Again, more hidden costs.

They had to fork out more money for a psut, their original plan was a 600W, they had to bump up to 850w. Again, with the hidden costs?

NVIDIA always does this shit, they tell you one thing and you have to figure out the rest on your own...even if it means spending 2 grand to learn a lesson. They know they can charge whatever price on high end latest graphics behemoths and get away with it because majority of consumers see a price tag and assume everything is ready and running at optimum out of the box.

Had this been an AMD product you'd get exactly what you pay for and nothing less, bang for buck.

It should be common sense to do a little research and learn about the product a bit more before buying it. Information is everywhere on the internet about the requirements of a certain product like for example, the GTX Titan Z, requires a minimum of 700W power supply stated on their website alone. 

The same for AMD products. They have a reputation of being able to fry an egg while using it cuz they're hot as heck, lol.

Best thing to do before buying a product is to research on YouTube for benchmarks, comparisons, and opinions. There's a billions of them on the internet.

8 minutes ago, PenguinsFly said:

It should common sense to do a little research and learn about the product a bit more before buying it. Information is everywhere on the internet about the requirements of a certain product like for example, the GTX Titan Z, requires a minimum of 700W power supply stated on their website alone. 

The same for AMD products. They have a reputation of being able to fry an egg while using it cuz they're hot as heck, lol.

Best thing to do before buying a product is to research on YouTube for benchmarks, comparisons, and opinions. There's a billions of them on the internet.

I agree, you're suggesting those not technical or knowledgeable in the field should stay away from high tier nvida products. 

There are, believe it or not, gaming and pc enthusiasts that only have the money and willingness to buy the latest and best but aren't technical enough to know when they're getting suckered. Not everyone who's well off financially would be technical, those sheikhs that own 4 and 5 bugattis and haven't a clue how an engine works is just one of many examples.

And a side note; AMDs running into high temps is very common knowledge, by now even by high schoolers. Not everyone knows what system and config maxes out a graphics card and worse, not everyone knows what to look for...because a good way to start off is always knowing what questions to ask.

It should be common knowledge regardless of manufacturer if you're going to overclock a top tier GPU, you automatically jerk air cooler off and have a custom liquid cooler built for the card.  Spend 600+ bucks for a card with air cooler, that cooler is designed for base specs. Most things in life are this way, CPUs are the same way. So many people who spend a ton of money on mobo/cpu/gpu/ram seem to always fall short on the cooling/PSU and OS. The extra costs are not hidden but are SOFT costs that knowledgeable and experienced people are accustomed to doing or having done.  Rigs that are well done always have an additional fan to cool the RAM installed as well. 

Best advice ever given to me is; IF you are unsure/inexperienced with a product tag team with a friend who is experienced during the build. Example being : I have a friend in Iowa she will jump on yahoo and watch via webcam as a 2nd pair of eyes and she has a fk ton more experience in upgrading/building and we work as a team to make something happen. My hands doing the work in Mississippi, her experience and careful eye in Iowa and the magic can happen the first time with everything done right and with speed and quality. 

I am AMD fan all the way >:) 

Archived