Let's Thank NC for Removing GG

kasha

So it would appear that after yesterday's debacle with gameguard breaking the client for a large number of people, NC quietly disabled it again.  At least, it's not showing up on my system tray, or putting itself into my registry again.  So I'm assuming it's disabled.

If it is, we should take a moment to thank NCSoft for listening to their community on this issue and understanding that gameguard is not a good solution to the botting problem.  We threw a lot of shade at them for it, but they listened and fixed the problem quickly and that shows that they respect their community and are willing to work with us to improve our experience.  

Thank you NC for a great game and a willingness to adapt! Keep up the good fight guys!

Just now, Enamour said:

First we hate GG, then we cry about it letting bots through (not you or I but I've seen a few threads) so they implement it again, then we don't want it again. But yea it is nice that they listen to us even with the flip-flop.

Let's not act like GG did a damn thing to thwart the bots. The program is a cancer infecting a dwindling number games as their developers learn of its malicious incompetence.

Just now, Lurkios said:

Let's not act like GG did a damn thing to thwart the bots. The program is a cancer infecting a dwindling number games as their developers learn of its malicious incompetence.

Oh I'm not acting like anything because honestly, I was indifferent either way (from lack of knowledge). Just what I've seen on the forums though.

1 minute ago, Enamour said:

Oh I'm not acting like anything because honestly, I was indifferent either way (from lack of knowledge). Just what I've seen on the forums though.

Well, I can tell you of my own experience just last night.

GG starts up, B&S launches... I immediately head in for a series of arena fights, facing more destroyer bots than players when suddenly overtemp alarms start going off on my system and I see that GG has blocked my fan control software. IE then fails to launch, again, due to GG and B&S crashes.

GJ; GG

12 minutes ago, Lurkios said:

Well, I can tell you of my own experience just last night.

GG starts up, B&S launches... I immediately head in for a series of arena fights, facing more destroyer bots than players when suddenly overtemp alarms start going off on my system and I see that GG has blocked my fan control software. IE then fails to launch, again, due to GG and B&S crashes.

GJ; GG

Illegal fan, make sure it have a green card

With a fresh install (recently factory reset) and GameGuard being disabled, it wont install GameGuard rootkit/drivers onto the System, right? Just making sure because GameGuard is very time consuming to remove because it involves locating the files and then messing with the registry. I never had problems with GameGuard myself, it just puts me at a peace of mind knowing that it isn't running doing who knows what in the background.

Edit: Honestly, NcSoft should scrap GameGuard all together instead of simply disabling it. The thing does more harm than it does good.

The problem is that botting software these days is just too sophisticated, just look at blizzard, they push an update to their warden and it catches the people online at the time, then the botmakers turn it off to update and 2days later their warden isn't detecting jack anymore and itl be another 6-12months again just to once again only catch people that were online at the time of the update, blizzard probably spends more per year on the warden alone than NCSoft as a company makes, and even they cannot stay ahead, they resort to spending millions taking the bot makers to court because it is easier to try and get them shutdown than to detect the program, in a world like this a crappy program like gameguard doesn't stand a chance.

Archived