So.... Bunny hopping

Goreshade

I understand ping issues. I understand that ani-canceling is a part of the game.

But is bunny hopping intended? It makes melee targeting unnecessarily messy at times, and messes with stuns (stunned targets continue to move, sometimes moving them out of melee range). Out of curiosity, is this grouped with Ani-canceling (unintended but accepted side effect of game programming) or is it frowned upon? Or is it not recognized at all?

7 minutes ago, Kutsuu said:

I personally don't do it b/c it's just a little cheesy, but it's accepted. You can see a lot of it in KR tourney vids. 

That's unfortunate to hear. Of all the unintended side effects that affect the game, this one (Imo) strikes me as the most cheesy and actually unintended. Would it be so bad if they disabled jump in arena? They're all open with absolutely 0 obstacles to jump over.

4 minutes ago, Flareon said:

what's bunny hopping? just using your jump, seems fine IMO

Jumping messes with targeting in melee, and allows players to continue "moving" after being CC'd in some instances. If it didn't do either of those things, then I'd be fine with jumping too.

4 minutes ago, Goreshade said:

Jumping messes with targeting in melee, and allows players to continue "moving" after being CC'd in some instances. If it didn't do either of those things, then I'd be fine with jumping too.

I see, I haven't noticed much of an issue with it, but, maybe I just come to expect stuff like that from jumping, it seems like it'd only really be a problem with FM or Summ. 

3 minutes ago, dmoe33 said:

Wait so jumping sometimes breaks u out of cc? or stop it either way that kinda seems like a bug although it MAY be intended 

No they're saying it moves you slightly after being CC'd cause of your momentum. 

3 minutes ago, Flareon said:

No they're saying it moves you slightly after being CC'd cause of your momentum. 

oh ok if its only slightly i dont see how its a HUGE deal i mean yea it can make a difference but like as long as it dosent do anything significant t

6 minutes ago, dmoe33 said:

oh ok if its only slightly i dont see how its a HUGE deal i mean yea it can make a difference but like as long as it dosent do anything significant t

It's a question of consistency. It shouldn't be a crapshoot whether or not my target is in range, I overshot it, or I undershot it. 1s 3 times in a fight can make or break a close match.

1 minute ago, Goreshade said:

It's a question of consistency. It shouldn't be a crapshoot whether or not my target is in range, I overshot it, or I undershot it. 1s 3 times in a fight can make or break a close match.

yes i realized everything matters in pvp im just saying if its only slightly then i dont see it being an issue overall just in those neck and neck situations but even then a slight movement wont have a DRASTIC change 

2 hours ago, dmoe33 said:

yes i realized everything matters in pvp im just saying if its only slightly then i dont see it being an issue overall just in those neck and neck situations but even then a slight movement wont have a DRASTIC change 

It's not necessarily "only slightly". If you charge stun at the start of a jump, they will often be just out of melee range when they land. It can screw up your combos - which is a big deal. However, it's just another thing to overcome with situational awareness and skill. If my opponent is bunny hopping, I try to be ready to move with their jump if that situation happens. 

1 minute ago, Kutsuu said:

It's not necessarily "only slightly". If you charge stun at the start of a jump, they will often be just out of melee range when they land. It can screw up your combos - which is a big deal. However, it's just another thing to overcome with situational awareness and skill. If my opponent is bunny hopping, I try to be ready to move with their jump if that situation happens. 

Hm ok so exactly how much is the distance traveled? and yea it seems like melee attacks have more range then they seem so im assuming (not a melee class so im kinda ignorant) ull be able to hit them most of the time but i can see how it would be anoying

1 minute ago, dmoe33 said:

Hm ok so exactly how much is the distance traveled? and yea it seems like melee attacks have more range then they seem so im assuming (not a melee class so im kinda ignorant) ull be able to hit them most of the time but i can see how it would be anoying

It depends on how early in the jump you hit them... like I said. Early in the jump, they will sometimes be out of melee range when they land. If you aren't prepared for it, you can waste a cooldown or a combo that could have won the game. I hope you do understand that an after-tab combo can decide the outcome of a match. 

It's a FAR better situation than it was in Archeage. When you charged at someone mid jump in that game, you would fly UP TO THEM, while they continued on their arc, and you'd have to wait for the animation of you falling to the ground before you could move. They would be out of the CC and running away before you could capitalize on the CC. 

Just now, Kutsuu said:

It depends on how early in the jump you hit them... like I said. Early in the jump, they will sometimes be out of melee range when they land. If you aren't prepared for it, you can waste a cooldown or a combo that could have won the game. I hope you do understand that an after-tab combo can decide the outcome of a match. 

It's a FAR better situation than it was in Archeage. When you charged at someone mid jump in that game, you would fly UP TO THEM, while they continued on their arc, and you'd have to wait for the animation of you falling to the ground before you could move. They would be out of the CC and running away before you could capitalize on the CC. 

Oh yes i do realize trust me ive even said it before. I never played archage but it does seem like something to be aware of in pvp i tend to even do it in pve :3

I "bunny hop" all the time. I think it's fun to do. Disabling jumping in PvP would be the worst thing ever to do. Thank god it won't happen. I just wish I could jump higher and dash while in combat. Oh well. Neither of us happy.

42 minutes ago, Peps said:

I "bunny hop" all the time. I think it's fun to do. Disabling jumping in PvP would be the worst thing ever to do. Thank god it won't happen. I just wish I could jump higher and dash while in combat. Oh well. Neither of us happy.

I do too and dashing in combat would be AWESOME although it would make for some very..... interesting matches

Archived