Need Official Response on WTFast

Eternalx

Hello,

I'm currently playing from Australia and getting 280-300 ping. It's horrible but bearable if I reduce graphics down. I see people in aus using WTFast and getting 30 ping. However, I'm also aware that some got banned. I haven't used it and would like an official answer on this so I don't randomly get perm banned.

Thanks! 

40 minutes ago, Eternalx said:

May I ask where that was posted? Thanks! 

She answered it here.

I call bullshit on WTFast lowering their ping to 30ms. I'm in Australia also and I get around 200-220 with WTFast and/or BattlePing

Im gonna say this. Dont use it if you dont want to get in problems because they havent said anything about allowing it or not. But heres reply from ncsoft support.

Using a VPN is a useful service, it is not supported by NCSOFT in anyway. Furthermore, please be aware that if you access the account from or attempt to add these proxies to your authorized IP list, the account may be blocked and subject to review especially if the proxy you use has a history of suspicious activity. Lastly, customers are advised to use them at their own risk.

So its clearly plausible that they will ban you if you're using WTfast or VPN and worst case scenario it might be permanent. This standpoint is really stupid. Players should be allowed to improve their own gaming expierence if it doesnt harm any other players in any way.

MuadDib  while you edited your comment I just wanted to point out something about that statement with using  VPN services.

The statement does not say its against the ToS but that since your using a IP that is also generated from the proxy you may end up with IP addresses where multiple account were banned on from possibly multiple infractions. This in turn could put your account under review and blocked, and worst case false banned.

While this might seem messed up you have to also think networks at times come under attack or attemped hi jacks and its stuff that premeasures like this help avoid it, but it comes with sometimes innocent players being in the cross hairs and  putting your at taking the time to get it resolved. Thats why the posting  mentions the risk of it as well as they are telling you its not against the ToS but it is hinting at one of their premeasures with network security might revolve in a list of commonly seen IP addresses that have attemped hostile actions.

Anyhow this is why the warning is there plus without measures like this networks are more open to your critical data and information being taken.

Edit:  Also just so were clear too proxies can not fix distance lag it might sorta drop the number but in the end the distance from your pc to the server can not be changed with proxies, so programs like WTFast might beable to drop your ping by maybe some points but if your getting 200+ ping  it will not make it 30.  Plus  in theory since the fastest way for data to travel is just being packed and sent proxies taking that extra step is added process to sending it and distance  plus  over seas ( having to jump and bounce from one tower to satalite to another tower ) then running the distance from that tower to server and repeating the process on sending in reverse. The most WTFast will do for you is help optimize your sending and receving to work optimal but it can not change distance. I could go on forever about this as well as hops and reroutes and such but that is very long winded.

@Eternalx I would really suggest you make a research on what proxy such as WTFast actually does. Your ping is directly affected to how good your connection from your PC to BNS server is. It can be the difference between Wireless VS cable , Network card, If your town is using Fibers, the quality of your internet provider's connection, interference etc. A proxy like WTFast, Noping, Pingzapper etc offers more direct routes to the location you're trying to connect to. They are personal server/routes they buy and allow their users to use to directly connect to a server closer to the game's server. Its just like if you're taking a plane and doing a direct flight vs a cheaper one and stopping at different places.

You will NOT be banned for using such programs. The only way for you to be banned by such is if you're using a pirated version of those programs and they detect it. NCsoft does not own those program and does not have an official proxy. They cannot say they support it because they would have to provide techs and support for it which they don't want to. They are also NOT responsible if the owner of the program you're using install a virus on your PC which causes you to be banned or hacked.

Hope it clears your mind better.

EDIT : If you're having disconnect issue caused by the proxy, its simply because the server you're connecting with isn't stable enough to hold your connection at your location. All you have to do is select a different server and test the stability.

@Mariester @Eternalx

WTFast is essentially what @Mariester said. The idea is that it forces your connection into a direct, 'straight' path instead of bouncing back and forth.

However, the reason people usually get banned for using these is because a game might detect the player using an ip that others use. Now, if one of these other people happen to be another player that is breaking the rules, you might get included due to using the same ip. Especially if you both use the same ip several times.

In other words, it isn't using a VPN in and of itself that will get you banned, but because someone who might be using the same VPN ip might be doing something worth banning. (Depends entirely on how they detect).

Also,

On 1/29/2016 at 6:53 AM, Yaviey said:

Also using a VPN will not necessarily get you banned and even if it does, we've already said we'd look at overturning those bans. The only reason sometimes players get caught up in bans for using a VPN is when it matches some known botting behavior and that can sometimes be a mistake.

Archived