Is animation cancelling intended and accepted?

Zythian

I've seen NCSoft state that it was "emergent", therefore an unforeseen feature. They didn't sit down with their developers and say, lets make it so people with low pings can cancel animations (which we paid animators a lot to do) and increase their damage.

The fact that it is accepted and not being fixed is what makes it "intended", in other words they are intent on leaving it as it is...

Animation cancelling is nothing more than a bug that NOBODY has bothered to fix in a way that doesn't aggravate players.  As a result, we get CMs saying "It's intended". I already have a hard enough time seeing these animations to begin with, I certainly would have extreme troubles with excessive animation cancelling. ESO did it, it's bull, and even worse wastes all the time and effort that went into the animations that are there.

Allowing to cancel the animation is the door for cheats. Nothing more to say.

The same story already exists in Aion. Considering they can't fix/change it, they simply state it is intended. If that is really true from the beginning, only god will know...

15 minutes ago, Sidamel said:

The same story already exists in Aion. Considering they can't fix/change it, they simply state it is intended. If that is really true from the beginning, only god will know...

#Funfact: every fighting game has animation cancels. it's not easy to fix it, and thus it becomes the norm for fighting games.  amount of effort to fix it: Ain't gonna waste 100k USD for that shit

I would have thought the easiest thing to do would be to develop a game where animation cancels weren't possible to do. The fact that it was unforeseen and that the devs have decided to claim it's intended because they don't want to fix it doesn't mean that it should be an acceptable game element :)

An extreme example of that logic would be bots continuing to spam, we should just accept it because the devs are too lazy to ban them?

6 hours ago, Sidamel said:

SSBM hoards a bunch of cheaters.

6 hours ago, Sweeney47 said:

I would have thought the easiest thing to do would be to develop a game where animation cancels weren't possible to do. The fact that it was unforeseen and that the devs have decided to claim it's intended because they don't want to fix it doesn't mean that it should be an acceptable game element :)

An extreme example of that logic would be bots continuing to spam, we should just accept it because the devs are too lazy to ban them?

Some games did manage to do this. Back when I played Everquest 2 and Age of Conan (Before it went Free-to-Derp), animations were rock solid and were tied in with casting and action times. (Get a buff to increase casting speed? Animation goes faster.) Granted this caused some issues with physics objects, most notably with Everquest 2, but it was good as it means that the animations looked fluid and you didn't have to just stare at a log afterwards when someone else manages to animation cancel his way to victory.

Why bother making animations for half of these abilities if you can't let them play out?

3 minutes ago, Enamour said:

Wait people are genuinely upset about animation cancelling?

Upset is a bit of a more harsh term than how I feel about it. I don't like it, but I expect most games like this to keep them anyway simply because it's a hard problem that for whatever reason people are okay with keeping around.

2 minutes ago, Rushiera said:

These things are NEVER intended of course, but it happens that is the nature of game development, shit happens, and players will always find and exploit these things. 

Sure, but there are ways to make sure it doesn't crop up to begin with. Never the less, I know it's a losing battle, just like it was in ESO, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

1 minute ago, StoneBone said:

so essentially since you can't manage, as opposed to LEARNING how to become higher tier, you wine & ask for it to be removed.

*snipped those extra spaces only a jerk would put in there*

stay silver.

Naw, sorry.. I've got more respect for the artwork and visual feedback. There's very little for some situations, and it's only compounded by animation cancelling. You've got what you want, so what does it matter?

6 minutes ago, Freyar said:

Upset is a bit of a more harsh term than how I feel about it. I don't like it, but I expect most games like this to keep them anyway simply because it's a hard problem that for whatever reason people are okay with keeping around.

Honestly this doesn't bother me for 2 reasons. PVE wise, things just go a bit faster. No complaints there. PVP wise, if I lost and gave them a chance to even ani cancel, then I would've lost regardless because I didn't have the skill to deny the set up prior to it. Not that I'm attacking you or anyone it's just that I really don't find it as a reason to complain or become bothered over.

1 minute ago, Freyar said:

Naw, sorry.. I've got more respect for the artwork and visual feedback. There's very little for some situations, and it's only compounded by animation cancelling. You've got what you want, so what does it matter?

we're in the PVP section of the BnS forums here, new friend. People here are looking for ANY COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE one can gain to aid in increasing MMR & climbing the ranks, breh. you want art and beauty, hit the GD.

3 minutes ago, Enamour said:

Honestly this doesn't bother me for 2 reasons. PVE wise, things just go a bit faster. No complaints there. PVP wise, if I lost and gave them a chance to even ani cancel, then I would've lost regardless because I didn't have the skill to deny the set up prior to it. Not that I'm attacking you or anyone it's just that I really don't find it as a reason to complain or become bothered over.

I'm not sure we're arguing on the same points. While I do have trouble reading animations (and removing them outright via canceling makes that more difficult), it still bothers me that all the effort went in to making those animations and so on, only to have them skipped over in combat. Sure animation-based cooldowns can be slower for combat, but there's something to be said about games that truly show the whole thing.

Just now, Freyar said:

I'm not sure we're arguing on the same points. While I do have trouble reading animations (and removing them outright via canceling makes that more difficult), it still bothers me that all the effort went in to making those animations and so on, only to have them skipped over in combat. Sure animation-based cooldowns can be slower for combat, but there's something to be said about games that truly show the whole thing.

I guess I see your point. If I had to guess, I think it'd would be to add a higher skill cap and damage variation between classes and players. I personally cannot think of a single game I've played that didn't have any AC now that I think about it.

3 minutes ago, StoneBone said:

we're in the PVP section of the BnS forums here, new friend. People here are looking for ANY COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE one can gain to aid in increasing MMR & climbing the ranks, breh. you want art and beauty, hit the GD.

I can enjoy both. Competition doesn't have to trump what was made for the game.

Archived