Is animation cancelling intended and accepted?

Zythian

7 hours ago, Kanosaki said:

#Funfact: every fighting game has animation cancels. it's not easy to fix it, and thus it becomes the norm for fighting games.  amount of effort to fix it: Ain't gonna waste 100k USD for that shit

And developers can easily change whether a normal is special-cancellable or not, I don't see your point.

I'm in favour of anomation cancelling, but I'm just saying.

Developer can, but does the project manager allows it based on the cost-profit margin?? will it bring in game breaking bugs? will it change the whole fighting mechanic which might cause more imbalance? 

"Easy" is not the right term at this stage, maybe during early development.

I guess the real question is - if the damage that is being done using animation cancelling is the appropriate amount of damage they want to have in the game - why would they simply take out animation cancelling and have the abilities do that damage regardless?

First : They already balanced the skills accordingly to take ani-cancelling into account.

Secondly (This is a long one, take it however you like other than personal) : 

The game is created and first released in korea, you know where they stands in terms of internet connection overall in the world?
NUMBER 1.
They all have low ping.
They can ALL ani-cancel, depending on their own skill level and willingness to learn.
It's been released and active  there for 3 years, and has never been removed since, only balanced to tone things down.
Think they'll change their mind now, just because a few people in a new market are complaining? Nope!

Stating it's unfair to you is equally stating that you're unwilling to learn a new skill appropriate to the newly released game.

Go try playing competitive SC2 and getting above bronze or silver, without getting some sort of higher APM (Actions per minute). I know from personal experience that you you won't get far at all. And that's a strategy game.

Also since you're pulling out the artwork argument.
You think the creators of street fighter, tekken, Dead Or Alive or Marvel vs Capcom were bothered by the fact that people were clipping animation they worked ow so hard on by strategicly hitting the right buttons at the right time?
NOPE! I think they're more impressed by the kind of combos people pull off within the game they worked so hard on.

So I suggest you either adapt or don't.

I don't care frankly since it doesn't affect me.

It only affects you wether you make the choice to change.

On 25/1/2016 at 2:34 PM, Freyar said:

Animation cancelling is nothing more than a bug that NOBODY has bothered to fix in a way that doesn't aggravate players.

Sorry mate but it is not a bug it is how the game works and not a bug, you can do it with 200 ping if you wanted to i just did it as the Eu server is <3 up right now xD so right now i am not online as i crash the game everytime it hits 15-20 fps hahaha :/

On 1/25/2016 at 3:49 AM, Shauneh said:

Yes, most classes will benefit from ani-cancels. B&S pvp is all about baiting out stuns, and landing your own, so you can ani-cancel freely for a couple seconds.

you really have no idea what combo canceling is do you ?

On 1/25/2016 at 0:41 AM, Zythian said:

On 1/25/2016 at 0:41 AM, Zythian said:

The higher rating I get the more I see KFM's and Destroyers animation cancelling for absolutely absurd levels of damage.  Is this type of play actually intended and accepted in high levels and tournaments?

Yes it's intended and yes it's accepted.  All fighting games have ac because there is no global cooldown.  The animation is the CD and different ones have different animation times.  Just like in wow if you stack haste and reduce your gcd you'll start cancelling previous animations.

Archived