AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution

kadius

So Black Desert Online just implemented this:

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/radeon-software-fidelityfx-super-resolution

It tested it in BDO at 1080p and while there is a noticeable dip in graphics (I believe it's designed for 4K) there's also a huge FPS boost (it doesn't require AMD hardware btw).

Seems like a feature Blade&Soul could greatly benefit from.

(EDIT)
here's a nice video explaining it:
Black Desert Gets AMD FSR; Testing 4K and 2K Performance; The Best Update of 2021!

Damn it would be awesome if BnS got this too!

Edited by kadius
  • Like 1

I asked about this before it was released.

AMD FSR would probably require an UE4 version update and, according to https://gpuopen.com/unreal-engine/ probably is an easy change to apply to the game.

But, this is an AMD feature, and NCSoft usually only implements Nvidia features, like PhysX (yes, it wasn't made by Nvidia, but Nvidia bought the company that made the physics accelerators, made everything closed-source and implemented this only in their GPUs).

I read somewhere that there are talks to implement Nvidia RTX's Ray Tracing in the game.
(I DOUBT THIS IS TRUE, because the game is running DirectX 11, and this requires DirectX 12, from what I read. WHY THE ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ IS IT RUNNING IN DIRECTX 11? DirectX 12 seems to give more performance.)

While it is a nice feature that would benefict AMD and Nvidia GPUs, I don't think NCsoft will take the time to do the user-friendly thing and will just do the Nvidia thing.

But in the end, it doesn't matter. It takes more than 0 seconds to implement, and it doesn't make them money, like recoloring outfits does.

I think the choice is pretty clear, with this point in mind: not implementing AMD FSR.

Yes, this is heavily opinionated and towards the negative.

I do want to be proven wrong.

2 hours ago, Cupidstar said:

I asked about this before it was released.

AMD FSR would probably require an UE4 version update and, according to https://gpuopen.com/unreal-engine/ probably is an easy change to apply to the game.

But, this is an AMD feature, and NCSoft usually only implements Nvidia features, like PhysX (yes, it wasn't made by Nvidia, but Nvidia bought the company that made the physics accelerators, made everything closed-source and implemented this only in their GPUs).

I read somewhere that there are talks to implement Nvidia RTX's Ray Tracing in the game.
(I DOUBT THIS IS TRUE, because the game is running DirectX 11, and this requires DirectX 12, from what I read. WHY THE ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ IS IT RUNNING IN DIRECTX 11? DirectX 12 seems to give more performance.)

While it is a nice feature that would benefict AMD and Nvidia GPUs, I don't think NCsoft will take the time to do the user-friendly thing and will just do the Nvidia thing.

But in the end, it doesn't matter. It takes more than 0 seconds to implement, and it doesn't make them money, like recoloring outfits does.

I think the choice is pretty clear, with this point in mind: not implementing AMD FSR.

Yes, this is heavily opinionated and towards the negative.

I do want to be proven wrong.

1. AMD Fidelity and Nvidia DLSS work in completely different ways, hence implementation is different. AMD Fidelity can run on any GPU, while nvidias DLSS only on Nvidia cards.

2. The game runs in DX11 because not all video cards are compatible with dx12, also the conversion project was very likely started before dx12 was fully "released" so to say. Doesnt mean they wont upgrade to dx12 in the future tho.

3. Worth noting, at least so far, both give a good boost to single player games. Dont expect them to give a similar boost in mmos, because it will not give the same benefits.

3 hours ago, Grimoir said:

1. AMD Fidelity and Nvidia DLSS work in completely different ways, hence implementation is different. AMD Fidelity can run on any GPU, while nvidias DLSS only on Nvidia cards.

2. The game runs in DX11 because not all video cards are compatible with dx12, also the conversion project was very likely started before dx12 was fully "released" so to say. Doesnt mean they wont upgrade to dx12 in the future tho.

3. Worth noting, at least so far, both give a good boost to single player games. Dont expect them to give a similar boost in mmos, because it will not give the same benefits.

1. AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) only works on select AMD or Nvidia GPUs.
    You can read it in https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/radeon-software-fidelityfx-super-resolution#Details
    But in short, it's for AMD RX460 and newer, and Nvidia 10 series and newer (Nvidia 1030 or newer).

2. Well, according to this: https://www.bladeandsoul.com/en-us/news/article/5237/minimum-computer-specifications-for-unreal-engine-4
    The minimum hardware required supports DirectX 12 (feature level 11_0 or higher).
    You are probably right about the DirectX 12 support being added after the project started.

3. I'm pretty sure it will give mostly the same beneficts. I expect AMD FSR to behave badly on BNS UE4, with lower quality presets.
    Contrarily to Nvidia DLSS 2.0+, AMD FSR doesn't use any temporal data, therefore it can't try to predict the character movement.
    But on the other hand, this can be an advantage because it won't generate ghosting around areas that move.
    But still, I expect close to the gains that other games have with AMD FSR and Nvidia DLSS.

See how the engine update goes first. The internal resolution scaler and AA filter might be just as good.

Right now allot of tech journalists are craving for games that support it. So an early adoption would probably generate some publicity in the game.

1 hour ago, Cupidstar said:

AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) only works on select AMD or Nvidia GPUs.
You can read it in https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/radeon-software-fidelityfx-super-resolution#Details
But in short, it's for AMD RX460 and newer, and Nvidia 10 series and newer (Nvidia 1030 or newer).

It can run on any GPU its just Nvidia and AMD have chosen to only officially support it on those series cards. *understandable really, why would they want to dedicate resources to hardware over 6 years old. A quick search in google showed me a few cards from pre-2014 using it.

7 minutes ago, matthew said:

Right now allot of tech journalists are craving for games that support it. So an early adoption would probably generate some publicity in the game.

This is actually a very interesting point. But, it takes time to implement and brings 0 profit, from a point of view.

7 minutes ago, matthew said:

It can run on any GPU its just Nvidia and AMD have chosen to only officially support it on those series cards. *understandable really, why would they want to dedicate resources to hardware over 6 years old. A quick search in google showed me a few cards from pre-2014 using it.

Interesting... I mean, those old GPUs are the ones that need help the most, like the GT 730 that BnS claims to be the minimum we need...

That one is worse than many AMD Ryzen APUs!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cupidstar said:

This is actually a very interesting point. But, it takes time to implement and brings 0 profit, from a point of view.

You never know. I always thought if you optimise your game better it means people can put off the next hardware upgrade which means they'll have more money to spend on NcCoin. But its just a unproven theory.

6 minutes ago, Cupidstar said:

Interesting... I mean, those old GPUs are the ones that need help the most, like the GT 730 that BnS claims to be the minimum we need...

That one is worse than many AMD Ryzen APUs!

You get it! Looking at the current hardware market prices and availability are pretty scary right now with not much sign of an improvement. DLSS and FSR Im excited for both technologies.

I do think the UE4 update would come with an internal resolution scaler and im pretty certain Nvidia and older AMD cards have a driver side sharpening filter. So if the AA implementation on UE4 is good we could probably get near enough results without FSR. It's just no where near as simple to tune for a user as it would be to have a FSR/DLSS quality/performance toggle in the menu.

7 hours ago, matthew said:

See how the engine update goes first. The internal resolution scaler and AA filter might be just as good.

GPU's dont need to support it. Thats the difference between AMD and Nvidia. DLSS uses lets say a super computer to analaze and boost performance while AMD's just uses an algorithm in the game design. So any GPU will support it old or new.