Deciding on a Class

AniGa

Hiya.

Getting straight to the (simple) point.

I wanna decide what class to play, but the introductory videos are kinda more flashy than informative.

I have a few really simple needs:

- Blades (Because kewl.)

- Fast

- Aggressive

- Even more blades (Because even kewler.)

- Even faster

- Even more aggressive

So to summarize, I'd like to play a sword- or dagger-wielding class that's very fast and aggressive - fast referring to both offense as well as movement in combat.

What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

AG

Hmm, do I understand you right in that your question is not so much about the skill mechanics but more about how the playstyle feels?

Not sure exactly if this will answer your question, but here some comments on possible class choices:

Blademaster:

Lots of blades, but doing a lot of tanking in PvE and in PvP the feeling is more one of:
Wait...wait...a gap!--> STRIKE!> dead.

Bladedancer:

Swords alright. No tanking needed. Very aggressive, but you must not mind to be 4 feet tall.
Also the aggression feels a bit like you are making fun of your enemy: whipping him with lots of slashes, knocking him back down just when he tries to stand up, force grabbing him and pierce him with lots of flying swords...

Destroyer:

Not a sword, but a huge axe. Feels very aggressive, but slow. You have a lot of physical dominance: you can be 9 feet tall, have a lot of ragdoll moves. Hell, you can even lift up 20 ton bosses and piledrive them. But, well, slow. They do have skills like Fury, though, if you like to go ham.

Assassin:

Dagger as blade. Fast, but in a complicated way. Stealth, but you are actually faster during stealth, so no creeping around trying to backstab people, but rather ninja move behind people and burst them to death. Definite thumbs up if you like to make people feel helpless.

All the other classes have no blades so I did not mention them. Well you could add KFM if you use some gauntlet weapon skin with lots of blades on it if you are into that.

KFM is a lot about dodging and stunning your opponent though. It's when they are out of escapes is when you go real aggro on them, but half of those moves are kicks, not punches...

5 minutes ago, Shuchin said:

Hmm, do I understand you right in that your question is not so much about the skill mechanics but more about how the playstyle feels?

Not sure exactly if this will answer your question, but here some comments on possible class choices:

Blademaster:

Lots of blades, but doing a lot of tanking in PvE and in PvP the feeling is more one of:
Wait...wait...a gap!--> STRIKE!> dead.

Bladedancer:

Swords alright. No tanking needed. Very aggressive, but you must not mind to be 4 feet tall.
Also the aggression feels a bit like you are making fun of your enemy: whipping him with lots of slashes, knocking him back down just when he tries to stand up, force grabbing him and pierce him with lots of flying swords...

Destroyer:

Not a sword, but a huge axe. Feels very aggressive, but slow. You have a lot of physical dominance: you can be 9 feet tall, have a lot of ragdoll moves. Hell, you can even lift up 20 ton bosses and piledrive them. But, well, slow. They do have skills like Fury, though, if you like to go ham.

Assassin:

Dagger as blade. Fast, but in a complicated way. Stealth, but you are actually faster during stealth, so no creeping around trying to backstab people, but rather ninja move behind people and burst them to death. Definite thumbs up if you like to make people feel helpless.

All the other classes have no blades so I did not mention them. Well you could add KFM if you use some gauntlet weapon skin with lots of blades on it if you are into that.

KFM is a lot about dodging and stunning your opponent though. It's when they are out of escapes is when you go real aggro on them, but half of those moves are kicks, not punches...

From what you said, definitely Blade Dancer or Assassin. Especially Blade Dancer just sounds damn vicious.

Which would you say is more suited for party PvE and solo PvE (in that order of priority)?

Or is it merely a thing of preference between the two?

Cheers,

AG

In BnS, all classes bring value to parties and there are usually plenty of roles required where you can fit in.

BD and SIN have more dps than tanking classes but less than gunner. Just generally being melee you often have to live with less than optimal dps for many boss fights. Sin was pretty high with dps though, higher than BD, but that info might be outdated (I play more 6v6 than PvE).

As for value of the class for dungeon play: BD has Grab/restraint mechanic (like Des) and a party iframe (like BM). Sin has party crit buff (bb = blue buff) like KFM and party stealth (like Sum). Solo PvE has a very minor role in BnS and any class will feel OP there. Hardest solo challenge is maybe Tower of Infinity but even that gets easy with gear and mastery of your own CC skills.

IMO, both classes are equally good in all aspects of the game. However, Sin is harder to learn for PvP.

Oh, I forgot to mention that BDs like to spin around a lot in PvP. That's a defensive move and also very annoying to the opponent since it makes you immune to stuns and dazes but stuns the opponent if they hit into it.

Another idea, to maybe help you decide, is to watch some tournament matches of the classes. It definitely made me very excited about my class (KFM) back in the day. Have a look at the BnS youtube website videos for tournaments, and scroll around looking for pjeb or Brotherbill (for BD) and Ryuki or Virus (for Sin).

16 minutes ago, Shuchin said:

[ . . . ]

As for value of the class for dungeon play: BD has Grab/restraint mechanic (like Des) and a party iframe (like BM). Sin has party crit buff (bb = blue buff) like KFM and party stealth (like Sum). Solo PvE has a very minor role in BnS and any class will feel OP there. Hardest solo challenge is maybe Tower of Infinity but even that gets easy with gear and mastery of your own CC skills.

[ . . . ]

Another idea, to maybe help you decide, is to watch some tournament matches of the classes. It definitely made me very excited about my class (KFM) back in the day. Have a look at the BnS youtube website videos for tournaments, and scroll around looking for pjeb or Brotherbill (for BD) and Ryuki or Virus (for Sin).

So between the two, Blade Dancer grabbing and restraining foes, and Assassin giving buffs to the party, Blade Dancer does seem like the more aggressively proactive one with more direct enemy interaction even in the moves you could call more utility-oriented.

So I think I'll go with that one! Though I'll also heed your latter advice and look at some of the mentioned videos.

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,

AG

• 2 weeks later...

If you want speed and a somewhat aggressive combat style, Blade Dancer is probably right up your alley.

BDs are almost primarily a DPS class. They have little in the way of support and really just attack or CC the boss. They are one of the only two classes with a restraint skill, however, giving you the ability to pick up an enemy while the rest of the party beat on it like it owes them money.

As for speed, Blade Dancers rely on movement for their defense. Most melee classes, when using side-step dodging move 90 degrees to the left or right of their target. Blade Dancers go a complete 180 degrees, appearing behind their opponent. They do have a spinning attack that can parry an incoming attack, which can also extend into a small party shield, but that's the extend of their defensive abilities. You primary defensive strategy is to keep moving while just going ham on your enemies.

When it comes to "blades", well... I mean, they are called "Blade Dancers". They use a sword, have a buff that has an effect that looks like two swords spinning around them, they can pick up an enemy and jam a sword into their body and, oh... ever seen a BD's ultimate skill? They make their sword 10x bigger and do a giant spinning overhead slash. So ya... they got blades.

If you prefer PVE, I guess BM is a better choice, only BM and BD has tons of blades, but I prefer BM in your favor. As a lightning BM I like the sound my blades make when blade call+whirling scourge+blade storm+sundering sword+lightning draw+lmb+rmb rotation, when all of these spells stack together, all you hear is tickticktick slashslashslash buzzbuzzbuzzbuzz :hmph: .

On the point of very fast, hmmm since BM is a tanking class, you really need to react fast on blocks, dashes, blinks etc. that feeling when you are BSing a boss by blocking all their yellow attacks with tingling sound, and resisting the red attacks with the pongpongpong sound while blinking back and force, dancing with blades in air but taking 0 damage, another :hmph:.

#WeAreSwordsMen

Archived