Is this game ever going to be optimized ?

Deviancer

4 minutes ago, Deviancer said:

Title speaks for itself, is this game going to EVER be optimized ? or we are doomed to play with 1782936187236817263782163 ping spikes ? Hello ? Nc ? Optimize ? Ever ? 

The answer is no. Considering that they keep on server merging = population declining = less revenue for them, they will claim to have no resources for optimization. Also, remember what happen in the world tournament (NA/US region)? They even make a P2W event to get all the fundings from players in order to give rewards to the winners in the world tournament. How pathetic does it sound right?

It is like there is a sport competition in a company. The winners will get a prize. However, before the competition happens, they have to gather all the fundings from their employees first. What do the employees get? (maybe a small box of cheap chocolates worth $20 each, but employees have to buy them for $100 each). If they don't have enough fundings (certain targets), they would cancel the competition. 

• 2 weeks later...

They won't optimize the game anymore because game is as optimized as it can be in unreal engine with the version it was made with(most likely). This engine sucks balls for mmo games so only way to make game better and not be super performance heavy where you need super servers for it to work perfectly, would be to remake the game on another engine made for mmos.

On 12/10/2017 at 2:29 AM, Amarathiel said:

They won't optimize the game anymore because game is as optimized as it can be in unreal engine with the version it was made with(most likely). This engine sucks balls for mmo games so only way to make game better and not be super performance heavy where you need super servers for it to work perfectly, would be to remake the game on another engine made for mmos.

It is not about a game engine. The problem is on the dev team. They cannot properly parallel their game and cannot make systems that will save performance. Look at BDO, it is developed with the same engine (with small changes) and works very well with much harder conditions. 

About network: I really don't understand why NC cannot host their servers in EU. As I remember there is a tunnel from Frankfurt to the USA where servers hosts. And very funny moment: if you're from USA u must to connect to Frankfurt and then tunnel will return a connection back to USA kappa. Then no1 have proper ping. 

I have played on another localization with 10 ping, it was really like another game.

17 hours ago, Hackness said:

It is not about a game engine. The problem is on the dev team. They cannot properly parallel their game and cannot make systems that will save performance. Look at BDO, it is developed with the same engine (with small changes) and works very well with much harder conditions. 

About network: I really don't understand why NC cannot host their servers in EU. As I remember there is a tunnel from Frankfurt to the USA where servers hosts. And very funny moment: if you're from USA u must to connect to Frankfurt and then tunnel will return a connection back to USA kappa. Then no1 have proper ping. 

I have played on another localization with 10 ping, it was really like another game.

Optimizing a mmo game on unreal engine is quite difficult tho, especially if you don't want the final look to change at all but i agree they should at least try.

As for network. If that really is the case, i have no clue as to why i have a normal connection with a normal ping from Scandinavia. If i really was getting redirected to USA from Frankfurt i should be getting a 150ms ping(which would be over 200ms in game) at least but im not. Stays at around 100ms in game ping always.

3 hours ago, Amarathiel said:

Optimizing a mmo game on unreal engine is quite difficult tho, especially if you don't want the final look to change at all but i agree they should at least try.

As for network. If that really is the case, i have no clue as to why i have a normal connection with a normal ping from Scandinavia. If i really was getting redirected to USA from Frankfurt i should be getting a 150ms ping(which would be over 200ms in game) at least but im not. Stays at around 100ms in game ping always.

Game engine is just a paper for a painter. As a developer too I can say they are made a really bad architecture of their game, and it is not first their fail. They did it already in Lineage 2 and probably Aion (didn't play last one) and they didn't take any lesson.

For example look at my post here: 

About network: I conducted some experiment. 

When you start the game your pc is opening 4+ connections. And you can check where traffic is going. 

The first connection which was opening for me is 64.25.44.11:6600

Whois service is saying: Geolocation: US (United States), TX, Texas, 78731 Austin

And tracert: 64.25.44-11.ncsoft.com

Looks like it is some common connection to main NC server, maybe something like login auth. 

The next connection is 52.29.102.201:12100

Whois: Geolocation: DE (Germany), 05, Hessen, 09060 Frankfurt

Tracert is interesting: after my local connections traffic is going to netnod-ix-ge-a-sth-1500.amazon.com [194.68.123.47]  (Stockholm, it's okay, I'm near), then 2 ips from Dublin (it's ok too), and then 54.239.43.24 from United fcn States, what? After 5 USA addresses, it is going back to 54.239.5.168 from Germany, Hessen D: Hope whois is broken. After this, next connections didn't answer on icmp protocol. It was last known point. 

With next 2 connections happen the same shit. 

So, I guess there are 2 variants about what is going on:

1) Dark magic.

2) Whois service is working incorrectly with this ips and all of them is located in one data center. This version is approving by ping while tracert and names like ec2-18-194-180-254.eu-central-1.compute.amazonaws.com. But if so, I must have about 40 ping to the server, instead of this I have 90-130. And I have strong statements about in-game ping checker is lying. For example, it depends on your fps. And if so, ppl actually have 2-3 times smaller ping than the game says.

18 minutes ago, Hackness said:

Game engine is just a paper for a painter. As a developer too I can say they are made a really bad architecture of their game, and it is not first their fail. They did it already in Lineage 2 and probably Aion (didn't play last one) and they didn't take any lesson.

For example look at my post here: 

About network: I conducted some experiment. 

When you start the game your pc is opening 4+ connections. And you can check where traffic is going. 

The first connection which was opening for me is 64.25.44.11:6600

Whois service is saying: Geolocation: US (United States), TX, Texas, 78731 Austin

And tracert: 64.25.44-11.ncsoft.com

Looks like it is some common connection to main NC server, maybe something like login auth. 

The next connection is 52.29.102.201:12100

Whois: Geolocation: DE (Germany), 05, Hessen, 09060 Frankfurt

Tracert is interesting: after my local connections traffic is going to netnod-ix-ge-a-sth-1500.amazon.com [194.68.123.47]  (Stockholm, it's okay, I'm near), then 2 ips from Dublin (it's ok too), and then 54.239.43.24 from United fcn States, what? After 5 USA addresses, it is going back to 54.239.5.168 from Germany, Hessen D: Hope whois is broken. After this, next connections didn't answer on icmp protocol. It was last known point. 

With next 2 connections happen the same shit. 

So, I guess there are 2 variants about what is going on:

1) Dark magic.

2) Whois service is working incorrectly with this ips and all of them is located in one data center. This version is approving by ping while tracert and names like ec2-18-194-180-254.eu-central-1.compute.amazonaws.com. But if so, I must have about 40 ping to the server, instead of this I have 90-130. And I have strong statements about in-game ping checker is lying. For example, it depends on your fps. And if so, ppl actually have 2-3 times smaller ping than the game says.

I did the same tests and after my local ISP i get more or less the same routing as you starting from Dublin. the USA addresses however cant possibly be in USA. Why? because the ping im getting is wayyyyy too low. Average ping to each location i have is 50ms and average ping to any USA server is minimum of 120ms. There's no way i would have that low ping to USA meaning there's got to be something wrong with the routing around EU countries. So my only guess is some of the routes to the servers cause problems while other routes are just fine.

The in game ping checker definetly is wrong. It shows you the ping to the server + the time it takes for the server to process your data and send them back to you.

1 hour ago, Amarathiel said:

I did the same tests and after my local ISP i get more or less the same routing as you starting from Dublin. the USA addresses however cant possibly be in USA. Why? because the ping im getting is wayyyyy too low. Average ping to each location i have is 50ms and average ping to any USA server is minimum of 120ms. There's no way i would have that low ping to USA meaning there's got to be something wrong with the routing around EU countries. So my only guess is some of the routes to the servers cause problems while other routes are just fine.

The in game ping checker definetly is wrong. It shows you the ping to the server + the time it takes for the server to process your data and send them back to you.

Your 120ms to the USA is across public DNS. Around 70-90ms can be reached through a private virtual tunnel (kind of VPN), like one that is using companies specialized on DDoS protection. And one of my suggestions is we have one of this here from Frankfurt. But more likely the second variant in my previous post.

Server processing time is very very low, usually about 5-10ms. It mostly doesn't matter in the case.

Archived