What should be changed for their next project

Viblo

To me, what the team behind Blade & Soul messed up were due to one big reason: the time spent localizing the game for the EU and NA audience. 

As many know, the game was initially released in 2012 in Korea and it took them four years to bring it here; 2016 with other words. 

If Blade & Soul would have been released a lot sooner for the Western audience, like in 2014, I think that the game would have succeded a lot more than it did now.

A big part of why a lot of people left Blade & Soul were due to the amount of rushed content we received and the poor optimization. 

Starting with the amount of rushed content:

If B&S would have been released in January 2014 instead of January 2016, all patches would have been slowed. What the team behind B&S wanted was to make the NA and EU version for this game catch up to Korea, and considering we're close to being fully caught up with them, we received content updates (if I can do math) five times quicker than people in the east, surprisingly so considering how much harder they tend to work in games. 

I understand the idea of pushing out so much content for us. If our version almost would have been as slow as the Korean, we would get these most recent dungeons in 2019.

Now, for the poor optimization:

Yes, we did receive a 64-bit client, but let me explain:

Seeing how the game was quite excellent back in 2012, the optimization was something that a lot of people would have understood. I think most people would just have been happy that a game with as good graphics and combat was released at that time. And if as many people on the forum complained about it, they would have more time to fully finish a working 64-bit client, perhaps even delaying some of the content updates just to get it out.

Finally, the last thing I want to add:

In 2016, Blade & Soul had competition by one, if not the most high quality MMORPG out there: Black Desert Online. BDO had even better graphics, more engaging combat, better sound, and a lot of amazing features like a crazy amount of player housing options.

BDO was first released back in 2014 in Korea, with the release in NA and EU in 2016. It took them two years less. A big part of the MMORPG community was because of that drawn to that game instead. 

If B&S would have been released sooner, it instead would have competed with other games such as Guild Wars 2, Elder Scrolls Online, Tera, and ArcheAge which to me is inferior to Blade & Soul. This game would have drawn even more attention, and the hype that started in 2012 wouldn't partly have died out. This way, they would also be able to have a different business model. Buy to play, at the very least. And our patches wouldn't have been lowkey incomplete and rushed as they are now.

So, that's what I think this company should do differently for their next project. Release the game sooner. Because ultimately, it all ends better.

From my experience with Blade & Soul, there is one more thing they should keep in mind:

If the next game is as ping-dependant as Blade & Soul, have another company like Riot manage the connection and servers. There's no denying that everyone doing PVP is annoyed by the poor connection, and I think that it would overall make for a much better experience.

I agree with you all the time NCS take localizing the game and the rush contente are the big problam in this game.

About NA and EU version try catch up to Korea. Im not sure if NCS try real do this. Or just try get more $$ in last time.

About optimization whell is just bad and no1 understands why NCS dont fix this.(or all understand just try have more profit) And no is not like ppl like say NCS need $$ lol NCS have lots of profit just in BS.

I stop play this game for all this and for the so bad EU serve. And for me i can not consider BS a MMO the most similar this game have is 24man raids and is a lag and Fps drop party so for me this is not a MMO.

But for me i just dont care!

NCS need to do a Fantastic Super Hyper Mega Game just for me think play a game for NCS and dont put GG and P2W (is the same i say i never more go play a game for this company)

54 minutes ago, Viblo said:

Now, for the poor optimization:

Yes, we did receive a 64-bit client, but let me explain:

Seeing how the game was quite excellent back in 2012, the optimization was something that a lot of people would have understood. I think most people would just have been happy that a game with as good graphics and combat was released at that time. And if as many people on the forum complained about it, they would have more time to fully finish a working 64-bit client, perhaps even delaying some of the content updates just to get it out.

Did you really just written that out of nowhere? If you havent followed the news, the 64bit client was released on dec 14 in KR and it was introduced to us in february. What does that have to do with the release of the game in 2011? Thats some weird logic right there.

Also, the western release of the game comes with more people wanting them, I dont think anyone knew blade and soul back in 2011 (or at least the masses of people). Everyone knew about bdo because of bns and the hate, nothing new there :D

1 hour ago, NightFer said:

Did you really just written that out of nowhere? If you havent followed the news, the 64bit client was released on dec 14 in KR and it was introduced to us in february. What does that have to do with the release of the game in 2011? Thats some weird logic right there.

Also, the western release of the game comes with more people wanting them, I dont think anyone knew blade and soul back in 2011 (or at least the masses of people). Everyone knew about bdo because of bns and the hate, nothing new there :D

My bad! Considering I don't know Korean, I haven't kept up with their patches and when they received it. 

For the part regarding people's attention to the game in 2011, I based that on the media from their YouTube channel. I've seen people commenting something along the lines of "Finally, been waiting four years for this!" which is why I brought it up.

Welp you have already stated some stuff I would've already said. Performance that doesn't just change at the drop of a hat. Pick better servers because for what this game is, crap is subpar at times. Never be this anti alt again. Last but not least, add. different. stuff. BnS is a dungeon runner with a decent world that gets used all of a few times then abandoned. The moment you don't want to run more dungeons or pvp, BnS looses purpose. Nothing really on the side to do. least worth a single squirt. 

10 hours ago, Viblo said:

For the part regarding people's attention to the game in 2011, I based that on the media from their YouTube channel. I've seen people commenting something along the lines of "Finally, been waiting four years for this!" which is why I brought it up.

There was a small group of people who knew about the game and we were expecting it to come to the west, but had to wait for NCSoft to actually decide to start the project. Even tho translating is really hard and localization is a mistake, but you know EU and NA laws and the difference in people. So many people gets offended from the game and left (not that I care).

9 hours ago, ChubbyFatBoy said:

Welp you have already stated some stuff I would've already said. Performance that doesn't just change at the drop of a hat. Pick better servers because for what this game is, crap is subpar at times. Never be this anti alt again. Last but not least, add. different. stuff. BnS is a dungeon runner with a decent world that gets used all of a few times then abandoned. The moment you don't want to run more dungeons or pvp, BnS looses purpose. Nothing really on the side to do. least worth a single squirt. 

Yeah bro, its all about the bad servers and your connection is the best in the world (dont try to pull out that you have XX ping in another game, different games use different mapping and routing). Optimization have nothing to do with the quality of the game. The limitations of the engine doesnt allow further increase in performance. How do you expect a game to be more "alt friendly"? Didnt they reduced the costs like 3 times already? Reduced the grind to an extend you get everything from the story quests. What more do you want? The insta lvl50 ticket will come when more content is released and honestly, why would you want that for? You are starting a new class, the questing and everything will give you the chance to experience the class so you know it at least a little bit. How would an insta 50 help you understand the class? Its not like you will have to play like 2-3 months to get to max level (50). You can complete the story for like 1 day and then grind your entire life :D

16 hours ago, NightFer said:

Yeah bro, its all about the bad servers and your connection is the best in the world (dont try to pull out that you have XX ping in another game, different games use different mapping and routing). Optimization have nothing to do with the quality of the game. The limitations of the engine doesnt allow further increase in performance. How do you expect a game to be more "alt friendly"? Didnt they reduced the costs like 3 times already? Reduced the grind to an extend you get everything from the story quests. What more do you want? The insta lvl50 ticket will come when more content is released and honestly, why would you want that for? You are starting a new class, the questing and everything will give you the chance to experience the class so you know it at least a little bit. How would an insta 50 help you understand the class? Its not like you will have to play like 2-3 months to get to max level (50). You can complete the story for like 1 day and then grind your entire life :D

Oh good lord somebody didn't read or understand.

1. I never said my connection was the best. I know my connection craps out on me at times. Changes absolutely nothing that the servers they use are crap at times. To even try to deny this at this point is hilarious. But do take note that I chose the words "at times". You know? the words that don't mean always? I sometimes have decent performance, then other days I get spikes out the wazu. Of course it is on my side of things at times, but when many a people can say, "I am lagging, or I am spiking" when I make the comment, then logic says what? you look at the common denominator. You bringing up routing changes nothing of the end result. 

2. Optimization has nothing to do with the quality of the game? That is hands down the dumbest thing I have heard....today. I can't believe you actually even said that. But what does the limitation of the engine have to do with the topic at hand? Reading is your friend. The post is in quote "what should be changed for their next project " Meaning NOT this game. Meaning the NEXT game. Meaning you bringing anything up having to do with the current engine's limitations is moot because we are speaking on the next thing and what it shouldn't do. Which would be? not having those limitations in the 1st place!

3. How do I expect a game to be more alt friendly? I don't know, maybe more things account bound? things that can be more easily passed between alts, shared invo? you know? the standard stuff you can find in many a mmo. Also did BnS start with all these things you spoke of? Nope. Are a number of things still bound to one character that make little sense being as such? pretty much. Also once again bringing up the point of the topic of NEXT project, my suggestion of "Never be this anti alt" would mean from the Get Go. not further down the line. Another also, mats are part of the gearing process, not the entirety of it.

Then how are you going to put words in my mouth THEN ask me how it would help me? I said nothing of a lv50 boost. Also before you say it was just an example, or suggestion, no. Not the way you used it. You literally brought it up then proceeded to ask me questions as if I made the suggestion myself. But to answer it anyway, it would help me. I am not some fresh off the boat person new to the game. Learning a class to be functional doesn't take all of the 50 lvls. Notice I said "learning to be functional" and not mastering. Don't know about you but it doesn't take me that long to get a handle on a class to be functional.

TL;DR If you are going to say something in opposition, at least actually think, pause and ponder before saying anything. 

Archived