Windows 10 Framerate fix

ManMachine

I just want to clear up some confusion in regards to this "fix". Most importantly, this "fix" MIGHT work for you, and it also might NOT work for you. Read on to see why.

On 2017-01-21 at 2:01 AM, ManMachine said:

So today i was on the game and i was somehow trying to help people with their "framerate issues" in the game... then i realized that the people who play "BNS" on "Windwos 10" still doesn't use the "native dx9 libraries"...

There are no "native" dx9 libraries. Windows 10 comes with dx9 libraries all the way up to dx12. This is for backwards compatibility as any versions dx10 and up does not have backward compatibility as their DDI (device driver interface) is locked in, meaning, it would not run earlier dx version DDIs.

You can find the libraries of the different dx versions at windows/System 32 folder, (and SysWOW64 if you have 64bit).  
They are in alphabetical order and will start with d3dx9 - 24 > 43 . Then d3dx10 - 33 > 43 & finally d3dx11 - 42 > 43. There should also be - d3d9, d3d10 and d3d11 (among others). This guy explains better https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/games_windows_10/directx-9-on-windows-10/7b7cec82-4a6d-4bb8-b7a5-3889aae764c1

I used quotes because the link above is the resource I used to find where the dx libraries live.

Long story short, on Windows 10 the default dx is 11~12 and when it sees a dx9 app it will emulate the dx9 using the CPU or so. In order to gain an overall "20-40" (on my machine) fps boost to the game and overall stability you actually need to install the "dx9 libraries" so the CPU won't emulate it / them anymore.
Now i don't know why these aren't packaged with the game and i don't know which library is the one thats actually needed but one can simply install "DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010) ".

This is false. Windows does not default to a set of dx libraries, this is due to version incompatibility (dx12 can't run dx9 stuff for example). The application decides which library to use and Windows only emulates when a needed file is missing / corrupt. You can find out how dx works here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX

The "DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010) " is indeed the correct, and the only, dx installer that you want to use to fix any corrupted dx libraries, since simply running an update only replaces missing files, but does not fix corrupted files. Again, the link I quoted above has more details.

The programs do not need to package dx since it comes with windows by default. The ones that do just wanted to make your life easier in case you were missing dx files.

I realized this about a year ago or similar but i was shocked that people still don't know about this, so i decided to infrom the Devs through a support ticket but the support asked me to write to the forum instead.
Maybe you were unaware of DX9 and Windows 10 issues. You may inform people about this or bundle the required libraries with the game for Windows 10 installations.

Devs didn't do anything wrong here, which is why they ignored you. Harsh I know, but someone's got to break it to you. And no, the devs didn't pay me to defend them, but I wish I was being paid :P

But yes, people SHOULD check if their dx libraries are up to date, or have missing / corrupted files.

In conclusion, this "fix" only works for people who have missing / corrupted dx files, and won't do anything for everyone else.

On 2017-01-21 at 11:16 AM, Illurian said:

Thanks for the info! I was just checking on the forums for exactly this issue; my (gaming) laptop is having some massive frame rate issues with BnS, even though I can run newer, more heavy games (such as Overwatch) at near max graphics with 60 FPS, but can barely run BnS, even with the "optimize for low-end PCs". 

So I have a question about your fix. How do you install it? I tried downloading the files from the link, and when I opened it, it asked to designate a destination for it to extract to. Once done, it extracted a bunch of other Zip files into that folder. I tried extracting all the zip files which led to some other files and even more zip files. There was an application in the mess, which installed Direct X, but didn't seem to have any effect on my frame rate.

Newer games does not mean harder to run. Overwatch is of an esports caliber game, that runs on a proprietary game engine developed by blizzard. I'm sure it takes much less resources to run than an open world, thousands of actors, cpu heavy unreal engine 3. A good system can run overwatch at 1080P (resolution is important here!) max setting at over 150 fps easily. If your PC can only run it at 60 fps... not going to make any assumptions, you can fill in the blanks here.

It didn't have an effect on your frame rate because your dx libraries didn't have anything wrong with them.

I reinstalled my Windows 10 a couple of months ago due to motherboard upgrade.  Since then, I kept having crashes everyday, and the experience inside the game was kind of sluggish, unlike before.  I am glad that I read about this, as I just installed the Directx 9c earlier today, now things are much smoother, and no crash!

Thank you.

Archived