How does matchmaking in arena work?

Yashuoa

Can someone explain the matchmaking system in arena to me?

I have been playing a bunch of games to gold at lvl 49 and now recently dinged 50.

In both cases (lvl 49 and when dinged 50) I met a huge amount of high HM lvl players (like 8+ and generally above 5+).

One can wonder what they do in silver and gold. I rarely seem to meet low hm players so far or non hm.

Are not many people into arena? People dont try it before they are high HM?

Anyway, does HM lvl have any impact on matchmaking?

Another thing that isnt clear to me.
It seems that when you win you gain very little points and when you lose, you lose a huge amount.
Obviously I shouldnt gain more point for a win, than I lose for a lose. I know that.

Otherwise people could climb simply by playing a lot, even though they lose more often.

However, is there some mechanic like the if someone is higher ranked than you, that you win more points and lose less and the other way around,

if someone is much lower ranked than you that you lose more points and win less points?

Or is it set like x for a win, y for a lose?

Obviously we don't have the specifics of the matchmaking system, but I can speak from experience with multiple characters. First of all, yes, it's an ELO system, so winning against higher rated players nets you more points; likewise, they lose more.

The matchmaking gets a bit shadier if you PvP on a low level character (as in, not level 50). Primarily, you're matched against people around your level, but seeing as the general populace of low level players is not that high, you usually face off against higher level players. It appears though that they tend to be lower rated than yourself, and you also gain more points in case of a victory and lose less when beaten (i.e. the system treats them as having more points when facing lower level players). From what I can gather, HM levels do not make an impact, only normal levels.

There is no algorithm whatsoever. In fact you can be paired up with the exact same people X times in a row which is completely retarded. I've been paired up with hackers 3 times in a row and forced to AFK through all the fights because the game doesn't have a forfeit feature.

Now if there is a "cannot be paired up with summoners or warlocks" option then that would be awesome.

I only saw solid evidence for the obvious, that you are matched according to ranking. Also it seems like you get closer match ups if there is higher arena activity, which probably means that the match making system tries to find close rank opponents and gradually widens the matching range with waiting time.

I see absolutely no restrictions or effect of level on match making, only on rank changes (lower level chars rise slower in ranks). Thus, a good lvl 36 player can easily encounter, and defeat HM 5 opponents. You see many HM opponents simply because that's the majority of the player base at the moment, and the majority is in silver and bronze this season. There are only about 500 KFMs in gold or higher in all of EU, for example.

On 6/1/2016 at 11:56 PM, Melodia said:

Now if there is a "cannot be paired up with summoners or warlocks" option then that would be awesome.

if that was the case i would just put be VS warlocks. and im sure BMs would put just VS FMs

Archived