FPS drop from Water/Fog/Mist/Smoke Effect

Fraou

I noticed that at Sapphire Basin with the many water effects (waterfalls) and at Highland Necropolis with that fog/mist in the air my FPS drop significantly. If i suddenly enter a dungeon in the area, or move to another area, the FPS going back to normal.

I checked the graphic options, and there is not a specific setting for those, like shadows for example.

You can check what each setting is responsible of, by hovering your mouse over it.

Any suggestion?

18 minutes ago, Fraou said:

I noticed that at Sapphire Basin with the many water effects (waterfalls) and at Highland Necropolis with that fog/mist in the air my FPS drop significantly. If i suddenly enter a dungeon in the area, or move to another area, the FPS going back to normal.

I checked the graphic options, and there is not a specific setting for those, like shadows for example.

You can check what each setting is responsible of, by hovering your mouse over it.

Any suggestion?

I'm guessing there isn't much of a solution except be done with areas & never come back. Is it dropping but still playable?

This is definitely a thing. Happens to me as well and I'd dare say to just about anyone. Currently I experience really hard fps drops in the room of the boss Minou in Naryu lab. Needless to say, the room has got some quite dense mist all around. Playing there feels as though my character is trying to move with a really, really big rock on the back

Same here and unfortunately lots o games have this issue.

I used to do lots of modding in certain games and I know they can use some tricks to up the fps a bit.

For example lowering the polygon count on certain objects/areas without much or no quality loss.

Still dont understand why the developers/graphic departments dont make use of it, especially in mmos.

Think they are busy tweaking/breaking though, like i was able to almost instant zone into yeharas mirage when the game started, then a few weeks later it took 19-20sec, now its somewhat better again. And yes I know about letting the game render objects before zoning in by waiting in front of the area/portal:P

Archived