The Aggro Nerf isn't *that* Bad

rocdog

Yes, it's noticeable, and so is the healing nerf, but it's not the end of the world.  Before we could cat tank most anything forever and rarely needed pots.   Now, we have to be (a little) more careful when DPSing.  My cat still snags aggro well enough when things get out of control, even on NSH bosses, it's just not as rock solid as before.

I'm not sure, but I think that some summoners don't even know that they can tank at all.  Same with KFMs and BM, by the way.   I was in a Big 4 party the other day on my FM with 2 KFMs and 2 summoners (4 potential tanks), and couldn't get rid of aggro unless I did nothing at all.  One of the KFMs had aggro for a bit, but neither of the cats ever did.

From a PvE perspective:

The big problem here is the way that the change/fix was handled. For a game that's been out as long as it has in other regions, if Crouching Tiger taunt wasn't intended to work the way it did on Day One of NA/EU release, why wasn't it fixed in beta? The fact that the change went into effect without a patch note saying so just made matters worse, though to NCSoft's defense there has been such an admission that it was intended. Either way, as a player it does not sit well with me that we're a month into a game's existence in our region, and already things are being changed to work not as well as they did when we first started playing the game and learning what our abilities do. On top of that, Taunt and DnB changes have no bearing on 1v1 PvP, while they have major implications for PvE.

What has me the most concerned is that there's more unfavorable changes coming in the 3/2/16 patch. From what I gather, people are complaining about Summoner's PvP/farm abilities now (if you know what you're doing) yet it sounds like they become trash-tier at level 50/later on, at least in competitive PvP. I hope that's not the case in PvE and that we'll at least not see power loss as we pump gold/time into our gear over the next few months. In simpler terms, I guess in light of the Taunt changes I have some doubt about what my chosen class will become as the game progresses, and while I enjoy playing this game, I'm hesitant at this point to actually support the game and might be one of those players to let my membership expire if the March changes are bad news for PvE Summoners.

I've mostly been able to deal with it. I watch the taunt cooldown and at about 5 seconds left, I stop attacking. If and when mobs switch to me, I use seed shroud to stealth until taunt is ready to use again. That much is fine. However, what I've noticed is the taunt AoE also seems to be smaller. It used to be when mobs get anywhere near to the cat, they would immediately switch targets and stick there like glue. But now, I swear there are times when I have to lure mobs directly on top of cat for them to switch.

When the boss sitting right on top of the cat completely ignores it the entire taunt duration from start to finish to start of the next taunt, yes, it is that bad. That happens fairly frequently now. Not just "oh it's out of range", but sitting right on top of it and completely ignoring the taunt like the cat doesn't exist.

If the monster has ranged attacks that might be because the monster is rooted and the cat used one of your skill point passives to slip behind the monster.

The monster can't turn around and face the cat so...if you are in its line of sight...

I don't think I've come across a single instance where my cat lost aggro without knowing the reason, most of the time it's because the monster was snared, slipped behind the monster, and the mob used a charge move at me since it couldn't target my cat. My fault, shouldn't of been standing in the monsters LoS while snared.

Nope, I'm talking about boss between me and cat, both at <2m range, no snare, no root, no side/backstepping, just standing right up on them spamming bees while taunting cat is completely ignored and boss is punching me in the face. It happens a lot in tower now, not so much outside of there, but inside it happens a lot.

If you are talking about Junhado he has an assassin like move (the head chef in E-Fleet has it as well) where he will attack a target and if there's another target nearby he will then dash at that target, and will continue to attack different targets nearby (if there are none, he'll just attack the cat over and over). Doesn't matter if the cat is taunting at all, if you are standing by your cat when he does that you'll get hit and if he finishes his move near you the cat will lose aggro.

I mean I've cleared the tower every day since patch and the only time I've ever noticed a taunt issue was when I forgot to respec taunt after PvPing lol.

I mean which boss are you talking about specifically, because it may more have to do with an attack that doesn't care about aggro as much as taunt not working.

Also note that some bosses have mechanics that resets/ignore aggro.. Junghado's red circle resets aggro and ignores it, so even if you taunt with the cat, when he does his invulnerable aoe followed up by a charge attack, you HAVE to use Dandelion or True friend.

Everything on f4-7 likes to ignore the cat, not just f7. I am well aware of the f7 attacks that hit w/e he damn well pleases, and that's not what I'm talking about. They just straight up ignore the taunting cat they are standing on and continue attacking me unless I dandelion them off.

I just finished tower like 10minutes ago and I can say hado ignores 90% cat taunts... I had to get through him without taunting basically since hado keeps chasing me through at taunt XD only 2occations did taunt work 1: use it before he loses 30% hp, 2: use it while u are stealthed from dandelion (at least have to stay stealthed for 3 seconds before leaving or sometimes it doesn't work XD) 

With regards to other bosses cat taunt works fine it only doesn't work properly in tower which make me think it's a bug. 

Like bright stone ruins that works fine, even the 24man nightshade and e fleet bosses gets taunted as intended...

Meanwhile in tower if u don't cc even the enemies at f1 after u killed about 60% it's hp use taunt and spam sunflower A.A and u will see that the target only gets taunted for half a sec

I honestly do not find any of the issues posted here:

- Junghaedo is not immune/resistant to taunt, i have him attacking the pet 95% of the fight-time;

- no boss in the 1-6 tower has any resistance to taunt. If you time it correctly noone will attack you for more than 2 seconds from time by time;

- you have to pay attention into the boss "channelled" skills, when its impossible to taunt him away from the target or knock him down (dont waste your CC)

- the worst PvE change is MHO the reduction in taunt duration, because you have those 3-4 seconds when you have to find something to do to "buffer" the boss while the taunt CD is off.

17 hours ago, Totoniius said:

- you have to pay attention into the boss "channelled" skills, when its impossible to taunt him away from the target or knock him down (dont waste your CC)

Channeled skills are usually the attacks with the longer animations, right? I did notice that there are some attacks where the bosses lock onto a target until the attack animation ends, but I wasn't aware there was a word for it hahaha.

On 22/02/2016 at 9:16 AM, Totoniius said:

I honestly do not find any of the issues posted here:

- Junghaedo is not immune/resistant to taunt, i have him attacking the pet 95% of the fight-time;

- no boss in the 1-6 tower has any resistance to taunt. If you time it correctly noone will attack you for more than 2 seconds from time by time;

- the worst PvE change is MHO the reduction in taunt duration, because you have those 3-4 seconds when you have to find something to do to "buffer" the boss while the taunt CD is off.

And no I did say it only occurs in tower when the boss is at low hp and I know that they can get resistant to cc at certain times but not even when they are resistance basically what will happen is I use taunt boss attacks cat then I spam sunflower and oh it crits then boss runs after me ignoring my cat instead 

Altho I find no problem farming tower it is just annoying when it happens basically I now don't even taunt with cat on hado still kills him fine lol 

Archived