How does the system work?

CrimsonHold

My friend has way more losses than wins, and from 10 match 9 is against an assassin, WHICH IS INVISIBLE OR PLANTS BOMB UNDER YOU. WTF is wrong with the matchmaking, I get people under my level, so i give them a chance to win, but he can't get up to gold because assassin (invisible 4ever) blademaster (block -> stun) kung fu master (you didn't wanted to stand anyway) an op summoner (how the hell they evade? I can't) Why the matchmaking so bad that we can't get even a 3 win streak? if the game sees you CAN'T wina aginst them go bother with the poor player with more. Since 3 days he can't get up to gold and is annoyed as hell, I can only play on weekends but a barely dare to even go pvp because of the unfair matchmaking. Same skills? nah.

32 minutes ago, CrimsonHold said:

My friend has way more losses than wins, and from 10 match 9 is against an assassin, WHICH IS INVISIBLE OR PLANTS BOMB UNDER YOU. WTF is wrong with the matchmaking, I get people under my level, so i give them a chance to win, but he can't get up to gold because assassin (invisible 4ever) blademaster (block -> stun) kung fu master (you didn't wanted to stand anyway) an op summoner (how the hell they evade? I can't) Why the matchmaking so bad that we can't get even a 3 win streak? if the game sees you CAN'T wina aginst them go bother with the poor player with more. Since 3 days he can't get up to gold and is annoyed as hell, I can only play on weekends but a barely dare to even go pvp because of the unfair matchmaking. Same skills? nah.

with the lag it is pretty hard to do much ..

even without the lag the game seems to be about how hits/gets a stun first and how many releases you have available ..

anyone who says the game is all about skill is a little off I think .. combat=learning the optimum rotation to create stuns/CC effects fastest 

20 hours ago, CrimsonHold said:

Well the system works as following, if you hack you win. if you post a hacker publicly to raise awareness, vent or get the person banned. This happens.

Don't worry though, this is the first time a moderator has posted in this area since launch really. 

I play FM, but I don't have enough info to help you.  So I'm going to go generic.

For Assassins, you can still see a vague outline of them, which you can hit with Impact.  If they Evade, try again.  You know where they are.  Depending on your ping, lead them.  Most Assassins circle-strafe around you, so leading is simple.  Beyond that, Snowball T2S2 cancels defensive abilities like Counter, and when you get blinded, you can do something like E -> V to dodge then Frost Sheathe.  If it is triggered, you're safe for 6 seconds, though be careful as the Assassin can drop a bomb under you for when you get out of it.  They also like do to this when you use Ice Tab, but if you spec T3S2 (I think it is), you evade back 15m after busting out, avoiding the bomb.  Practice not spamming abilities into Counter or you die horribly.

For BM, remember to take Snowball T2S2 to cancel defensive abilities, and if you see block, hit them with it.  With T3S2, you can actually freeze them while also canceling their defenses, so you can start up a combo.  Alternatively, use abilities that have both Defense and Deflect (which is Parry in-game) Penetration, like Ice Z.  You can do damage while they block.  Also, you can use Q and E to jump behind them while they are blocking and get more abilities off.  This is especially useful if you get a Freeze on them and they block to try to break it. Just go behind them and go to town.  It takes practice, but again, don't spam.

For KFM, again, don't spam abilities.  It's really the big lesson you need to learn as FM, because there are all kinds of Deflects that stun, counters that give stealth/movement, blocks that stun, etc.  I'm not super familiar with KFM fights because I've only had a few, but remember Snowball as your defensive counter option, Ice Z as your ability to do damage while they are using their Defensive ability, and Q/E to get behind them.  They seem to have some resist/evade abilities that I haven't quite put my finger on yet, but just keep your eyes peeled and watch them closely.

By the way, if you aren't getting 3 win streaks, you're probably right where you should be in rating.  If you're getting streaks, it's because you aren't where you should be yet.  Until you get better, you'll stagnate, so you need to focus on what is killing you, evaluate your options, then get back in there.  One thing I like to do at the beginning of fights is E to put myself into Ice mode, then V to Frost Sheathe.  Most classes use their "close distance and CC" option right away, which you immediately counter, while also countering their muscle memory follow-up.  Then the fight starts, you've lost nothing, and they're out a cooldown (or maybe two, even).  Sometimes you'll get someone who will notice the blue orb above your head and won't attack, but then you can also play off of that as well.  Not sure it's the best opener, but it works as a starter.  Better than just running forward and getting combo'd right out of the gate.

As far as evading without skills, that isn't enough info to really help you.  I'd need to see it happen.

21 hours ago, Cogbyrn said:

By the way, if you aren't getting 3 win streaks, you're probably right where you should be in rating.  If you're getting streaks, it's because you aren't where you should be yet.  Until you get better, you'll stagnate, so you need to focus on what is killing you, evaluate your options, then get back in there.  One thing I like to do at the beginning of fights is E to put myself into Ice mode, then V to Frost Sheathe.  Most classes use their "close distance and CC" option right away, which you immediately counter, while also countering their muscle memory follow-up.  Then the fight starts, you've lost nothing, and they're out a cooldown (or maybe two, even).  Sometimes you'll get someone who will notice the blue orb above your head and won't attack, but then you can also play off of that as well.  Not sure it's the best opener, but it works as a starter.  Better than just running forward and getting combo'd right out of the gate.

As far as evading without skills, that isn't enough info to really help you.  I'd need to see it happen.

Thank you for your help, I forwarded it to my friend but as i saw him he never uses any ice spells (i started an fm and on my potato i still can solo the first field boss so i dont understand the compaining) I hope it will help him and I dont have to hear him cry in agony because it's the 20th assassin against him in a row.

11 minutes ago, CrimsonHold said:

Thank you for your help, I forwarded it to my friend but as i saw him he never uses any ice spells (i started an fm and on my potato i still can solo the first field boss so i dont understand the compaining) I hope it will help him and I dont have to hear him cry in agony because it's the 20th assassin against him in a row.

I hope he can discover the joy in measured attacking instead it being like every other MMO where you slam your buttons constantly.  The biggest thing to learn as FM against BD/BM/KFM/Assassin/Destroyer/Summoner is to not spam your abilities.  Attacks need to be purposeful and timed, even simple RMB/LMBs.  I went into the arena at the start using my abilities freely (PvE muscle memory), and I would get caned by people because everything I did was easy to anticipate.  Once you step back and don't attack, you'll notice some people spamming things like Counter, and you realize that it's the key to their success against you.  Take that away and the dynamic instantly changes.

Also, if he wants to practice a few things just out in PvE, I highly recommend practicing Chill/Freeze management.  If you start with something as simple as:

1.  Freeze target.

2.  At 1 stack of Chill while Target frozen, RMB->LMB->Impact->RMB->LMB.

3.  RMB->LMB to get 1 stack of chill again, repeat step 2.

When I'm in Mushin's Tower, I use 1F to practice watching Chill stacks.  Most of the fight against the melee contenders is just me bouncing them around the arena, permafrozen, while standing behind them.  I'm not doing max damage, but it's a matter of getting a feel for automatically recognizing what you need to do next when the target is at X chill stacks to combo them up.

Also, I very highly recommend going to Settings -> Targeting -> Target Status Effects and changing it to "Display Icons".  Maybe it's because I'm over 6 feet away from my TV when I play the game, but noticing 2 little blue orbs for Chill stacks is much easier than reading a "1" vs a "2" at a glance.

Good luck out there!

Archived