Soul Shield Crafting.

Tigersight

Took soul shield crafting profession on one of my alts, started leveling it.

Eventually made another alt for other professions and thought it would be a good idea to make the Soul Shield set for them for when they hit 20, since I figured it would be a slightly better version of the Viridian Valor shield you get pretty much for free (since it only costs valor stones)

(Also because I have a merry potter to make the refiners.)

Anyway.

To make the soul shield set, you need:

1 Scalebeak Bone, 1 Premium Lake Mud Refiner, 2 copper. 1 hour to craft.

Breaking that out further, (Since I didn't have trappers) Scalebeak bones cost 2 copper right now.

Premium Lake Mud Refiner is made of:

5 lake mud refiners,  1 yulan magnolia log sap, 5 viridian quartz, 4 copper. 2 hours to craft.

The 5 lake mud refiners are made of:

10 lake mud, 1 viridian poison, 2 copper, 0.5 hour craft time.

10 lake mud costs 1 copper and takes 0.5 hours to gather.

The 1 yulan magnolia log sap costs 3 copper and takes 2 hours to gather.

Putting it all together:

1 scalebeak bones 10 lake mud, 1 yulan magnolia log sap, 1 viridian poison, 5 viridian quartz,

Going as cheap as possible by collecting all the mats yourself instead of buying them, (Either spend 6-10 hours gathering logs and making them into picks or) you still need to spend ~3.7 silver for pickaxes to mine the quartz (estimating based on 1.47 current cost and 2.5 quartz per pick.)

Add the 12 copper for the other ingredients bringing the cost to make this item ~3.8 Silver. Not terrible for a level 20, but still quite a bit unless you sell your keys or something.

Besides the money, it takes 5 hours crafting time plus time to gather the other mats like poison and quartz, plus possible 6-10 hours for picks, and you're looking at somewhere in the range of 6-16 hours to make the finished soul shield set.

Finally, you look at your brand new self crafted soul shield.

IjQbQRj.jpg

What. The. *cricket*.

Its mainly for upping specific stats on your endgame soul shields so like insane crit or defense etc.

That is the only reason why they exist in my opinion (and i have 4 soul wardens) because they seem to give a bigger crit or other bonus on their moonwater stuff then any other soul shield i can find so i can only assume their for the end game soul shields when you want to add some extra umph to your soul shields.

I know that the primers give good bonuses, higher than the other shields I've seen in the area.

What I want to know is why the shield set, which can not be fused into anything, or even traded for that matter, has stats that are less than garbage despite being expensive and time consuming to make.

Archived