World PvP is broken due to players hanging around areas 10+ levels below them

Nurvus

...and this is easy to fix.

1 - You should not be able to accept or complete PvP dailies for areas more than X levels below yours. Period.

2 - Killing players X levels below you should not count towards achievements. Or anything, really.

3 - Give players powerful incentives to hang around areas close to their level.

This game has a lot of potential, but the way it is currently designed, it just encourages cowardice and the few that want challenging fights in the open world rarely get a chance to.

Welcome to the world of open world PvP my friend... Deal with it.

And before you say something stupid like "I bet you're one of those guys..." in a nerdy voice, yes, I am one of those guys, and yes, those guys also hunt me as well on my other chars. 

So in conclusion, suck it up buttercup.

So you missed the point, huh?

First, no, I don't hunt lowbies.

I'm "one of those guys" that likes to face challenges and play in areas meant for my level.

I don't get enjoyment out of beating weaklings.

Second, it's detrimental to the game in the log run - players get frustrated, drop the game, etc.

High level players ganking lower levels is NCSoft/Team Bloodlust fault. They don't give enough incentives to do proper content  or penalties for doing lower level content.

I do understand your frustration. However, this is more of players' character flaws than the developers' overlook.

Yes, they can probably do something about it. But this is an Open world PvP, where animal instinct dominates, so hunting the weak is simply both logical and benificial. Why would a bear hunt an elephant when it can easily hunt 10 fishes?

While I argue that it is reasonable that they are allowed to hunt lowbies, I do agree these type of people also lack any decencies and are complete a--holes. But the Dev also allow you to have some control on when to PvP. So if you do not like it, don't put on your Faction uniform. Faction quests can wait until you are higher level.

Also the lowbies hunters which I have seen do not usually travel in groups. Hopefully because everyone knows they are truly scums and wish not to associate with them. You can always rely on others to help out your Faction dailies, travel in group, ask for assistance through faction chat and clan.

Also, most of the high levels I've ran into at low levels ignored me as long as I do not engage them. There are those who do not wish to PvP either so feel free to make a temporary truce through normal chat with them if they're farming in the same area. So my point in this one is that, it is not that bad, yet.

Elfae, it's very important to realize this:

1 - There will never be a perfect game

2 - Players will do the most despicable stuff as long as it's worth it.

As a developer, you give players the tools.

If you give the wrong tools, things go wrong.

So giving players good reasons to stay in areas of their level will slowly balance stuff out.

Giving players zero credit for attacking lowbies (maybe not even causing you to lose Prestige Points when killed by a char X levels above you) also helps.

Low level hunting would still be around sorry but that is a fact as there are players that get their fun from killing new players. Unless the penalty for doing so makes the game unplayable they well not stop doing so as they think by doing it they are helping the game even though they are hurting it.

@AnokuHel

The drive will always be there, that's true, but if you give incentives to stay in same-level areas, those players will be making a harder choice.

Furthermore, if being killed by  a high level is treated differently (no prestige loss, no credit for the killer, etc) then it also alleviates this issue greatly.

Perfect? No.

But currently the game has PvP dailies for you on lowbie areas... that is the opposite of what should be done.

@Elfae

The abuse I'm talking about can't be prevented in a way that you can continue having fun.

Being attacked or zerged by groups of my level is one thing

But out of the blue getting killed by lv45 with 5HM is not some abuse you can prevent, specially when you're doing PvP objectives.

No for the players that kill low level players THAT IS all the incentive they need that they CAN kill them. Players that having the incentive to stay in same level areas are the same ones that leave low level players alone unless the low level starts the fight. The players we are talking about ether would do the same level dailys then go back to killing low levels or just not care about the incentives. When Tera relesed on stream the ONLY way they could get the max level players to leave the new players alone was to post gm's at the low level areas and perma ban the offending high level players as they had planed out to do a MASS killing of ALL the new players on the pvp servers. So as I said unless they add in a system that breaks the game for repeat offenders of killing low levels they well keep on doing so regardless of the incentives these players are the scum and scrubs of the pvping players keep that in mind.

5 hours ago, Nurvus said:

@Elfae

The abuse I'm talking about can't be prevented in a way that you can continue having fun.

Being attacked or zerged by groups of my level is one thing

But out of the blue getting killed by lv45 with 5HM is not some abuse you can prevent, specially when you're doing PvP objectives.

Yes, you can prevent by not participating it. Faction missions are not mandatory and like I said "it can wait," especially in Cinderlands area.

There are many factors you can control so that others cannot abuse killing you in open PvP:

1. Uniform - if you do not like it, do not wear it. You also have 5 seconds to take it off if you spot any danger. There's an option in Graphic setting allow you to spot characters from far away if it is not maxed already. Also, scout the area with your faction uniform off before you start wearing it.

2. Time - Again, wait for the area is clear (if this is not Misty Wood). The mission will not go anywhere and it can be done later. Just let the high levels do what they want to do and leave so you can use it.

3. Channels - Cinderlands Desert and Moonwater faction dailies areas are always populated and have more than 5 channels (at least from the server I play in). These "abusers" can't be everywhere at once so switch channel. Sure there may be people there also, but not everyone enjoy killing lowbies. I have share the area with many max levels with my new character (whose level is 35 atm) and I have not once engage in combat with them. If you're paranoid about the opposite faction members then switch channels, if switching channels does not help, do something else in the mean time then return to finish your mission. Ask through your faction chat to see with channels is empty of enemy faction and if you can join them as well.

If you are at L.40 and in Moonwater already, you pretty much have no excuse of not engaging in faction PvP at this point. Sure there are still people who like to ignore you and wish not to engage to pvp for whatever reason, but you can't make excuse such as "I'm alone" or "I'm 5 levels below yours" because at this level you know the risk of putting on the uniform.

This game gives you more tools to avoid unwanted OWPvP than many other games that have it available, and missing a couple faction dailies at a low level means almost nothing at all in the grand scheme of things.  When given a sandbox, gaming communities these days seem to do their utmost to ensure a maximum number of people aren't enjoying themselves in the sandbox in order to give them a brief period of satisfaction before they themselves quit.

Don't hate the game, hate the players.  Even just a couple levels, if they are a Soul Shield threshold, can mean a world of difference while leveling up anyway.  This game isn't balanced around OWPvP, so just hit 45 and realize that OWPvP still isn't really numerically balanced (unless you're lucky and on a server where faction representation isn't horribly skewed).  You'll be fighting people your level, but either you'll be fighting too many of them, or you won't be able to find any to really fight (and if you do, odds are there will be too many of those on your faction for them to effectively fight back).

OWPvP is more a community experience than a personal one.  It's about the interaction with others, since the odds of you finding an even, balanced fight really aren't that good. 

Easy solution would be to scale people down to said level.

Example would be a level 45 who enters Everdusk will have their level reduced down to 5-10. Depending on the area.

Also I try my best. I will sit by the wheel and give away the stalker weapons people need. If I see a higher level killing lowbies or a group of people spawning killing one person. Then I will interfere and make sure they leave. ( FM Vs 2 Destroyers, they didn't stand a chance)

lol i remember few hours ago i ran dokumo with a party and one of the member was wearing a crimson legion and i was wearing my cerulean. but I didn't mind at all.. but out of nowhere he jumped at me and killed me.. course I didnt fight back.. I was just telling him we were in the same party. He then switched to another costume when I respawned cause he prob knows I'm gonna rekt him back.

It's just simple really.. if someone's harassing you and spawncamps you just press 3.

I for one ignore players of opposing faction with lower lvl than me or weaker than me unless well of course they attack me first.
For example I was doing the faction quests at scorching sands.. i saw 2 lvl 45 players with prob 25-35k hp. I just ignored them.. suddenly they jumped at me and another one joined in. After killing 3 of them i resumed my quest and then they came back and ambushed me.. ended up killing them again. lol.

• 1 month later...

What is the point of open world Pvp then if i can't PvP. right now there is a lvl 49 sin standing in the foshi pyres area. If i equip my uniform to PvP i will get instakilled how in any way is that PvP its more like him versus a little ant. if i go on another channel he will follow me. like come on you shouldn't be able to pvp as a lvl 49 in a lvl 10 area

Yes, nothing like a Level 45 Player, Iksanun Server, Summoner Class, Rojuh, hanging out in Pondskip Vale to farm/harass Levels 15-19 who are just trying to complete their very first PvP-Related Quest.

There need to be Level Restrictions based on Area. Level 20+? You can not equip your Faction Outfit unless in a Level 20+ Area. And so on: Level 25+, you can not equip your Faction Outfit unless in a L25+ Area; Level 30+, only able to equip in Level 30+ Areas. At least that way,there would be no cowardly bullies picking on new players. All they are doing is convincing them that the game is not worth the trouble. 

Michelle

Archived