Story Stupidities. (Spoilers)

Nilkemios

- Hajoon dying to Jinsoyun's corruption....except that he was nowhere near the main fight with her. The only way this makes any sense is if Lusung or the fiends they were fighting did it, but there is no indication Lusung had any dark powers yet until after the betrayal, and fiends don't seem able to do it themselves. The last possibility is that he fought Jinsoyun after she dealt with us and Hong, but again, it's never shown.

- Everyone we ever talk to who mentions Lusung notes that something was wrong with him, even before the betrayal of Master Hong. Seems like only Hong himself didn't get the memo. Dochun sensed something off with him at some point when they met, and Dokdan (one of the Three Sages) also noted there was darkness in him...so how did this guy end up being one of Hong's disciples? I find it a bit odd that no one brought this up to Hong or tried to warn him.

- Yonkai. Seriously, the whole thing with him is dumb. There is no reason why we couldn't just kill him instead. Spare me the whole "it's not the Hongmoon way" garbage, the guy is working people to death and generally being as stupidly and cartoonishly evil as possible, killing him would've spared us so much crap and time wasted, as well as anyone else he had hurt/killed in the interim.

- Also, that part where you go to Yunwa at the Wings of Mushin. "Gee, she's talking strange, not able to stand upright and has darkness coming out of her like a fountain, I wonder if she's under mind control?" Yet we get no option for our character to notice this or prevent the inevitable backstabbing. Dear story writers, plots that only work because our characters are complete idiots are stupid.

- The Eight, or rather, Six (at the times I've seen them) Masters. So the Warring Factions supposedly have enough sense to put aside their differences and get some of their best together to deal with the "Jinsoyun/Dark Chi threatening the world" thing, yet are always too late to do much and apparently no match for the big bad lady in black. They also never gave the memo to the rest of the faction members, who still fight each other while the world is possibly going to hell.

- Madun being like "You need to know what Jinsoyun is capable of"...even though we have seen at least on three separate occasions what she's capable of!

Bleh. I'm sure I'll find more later, but those stand out to me.

Hajoon fought against the shadows and they were the ones they "infected" him with dark chi.

Master Hong always knew that there was darkness on Lusung but he tried to correct him on the proper path instead of vengance. If you are interested on Lusung backtory theres a short comic story already translated on blade and soul dojo lore section as  "Star of Wails - Musung"

About Yonkai, the PC is not a god and cant fight the entire Yonkai army and moreso when he has an entire village as a hostage. The reason things worked in the end is because Jin wiped both Yonkai AND almost the totality of his army sending them into total disarray.

About Yunwa, at the start she wasnt looking as creepy, but yes as the scenes pass it was kinda obvious.

The Eight masters have no chance against Yin Seo, and also organizing the entire factions when amongs its members theres already bad blood is close to impossible. Most of their young members are hot blooded and often create conflicts between. Probably the leaders gave orders like "try to avoid fights with X faction" but is quite hard to enforce those orders due to their rivalries. Even the PC plays its part messing with the other faction.

Madun part is the divination bullshit that Ncsoft west "localized" since being caught on a wormhole-like  thing while traveling to moonwater and being sent to the past 16 years ago was too hard to grasp. In the original story Madun just said that the dragon stride currents to moonwater are shaky (which hints why you get sent to the past, that was NOT normal despite the writers were trying to explain with "divination" crap)

From what I read here and there, the feeling that the main character is stupid (the mayor in the well anyone?) comes maily from choices of the localization team in altering the story. It would be nice to able to read the full original story, but so far I couldn't find it, and I'm not really too happy about the idea of playing on other servers from scratch just to read it (though I may, the story is one of the things I care the most in rpgs, even mmos).

58 minutes ago, Bearil said:

Hajoon fought against the shadows and they were the ones they "infected" him with dark chi.

So the fiends did infect him, okay then.

58 minutes ago, Bearil said:

About Yonkai, the PC is not a god and cant fight the entire Yonkai army and moreso when he has an entire village as a hostage. The reason things worked in the end is because Jin wiped both Yonkai AND almost the totality of his army sending them into total disarray.

So what if we're not a god? The only time Yonkai bothers to have his entire army with him is during the confrontation at Mushin's Wings. Before that, it's usually just him, maybe his right hand man, and maybe a few bodyguards at certain points. and Yonkai himself is clearly no master martial artist. It'd have been easy enough to kill him with our bare hands. Plus, as you talk to the soldiers in the Brigade that give you quests, it becomes clear that a good number of them don't even care for Yonkai and wouldn't miss him if he died off.

1 hour ago, Artifact said:

You do realize that Hajoon gets infected early game into the story? I think 20-25~

I know he was infected early on, he said that the wound was from Heaven's Reach, but that way he phrases it makes it seem like he was right there for the Hong/Jinsoyun fight, which he clearly wasn't.

Killing Yonkai was possible, killing Yonkai and that his army didnt razed the hostage village in retaliation not so much and the PC cant do miracles alone. Plus it was doubtful that the PC could survive if we exclude the game mechanics to not die + certain divinity giving us a few extra lives along the way. Yonkai had always his personal guard near and aside that they were women they were probably quite skilled as well. He was a lecherous *cricket* but he wasnt stupid to choose unskilled beautiful women as his personal guard, proof is that he was still alive after years doing what he damned pleases

Oh and about the well, it was another "localization". Originally the major was spyng on the pirates looking for some weakness, intead we have the "oh i was looking for water and i found people, oh they are pirates must have got the wrong map" idiocy

Also the leaders respect each other as individuals but do not share the same ideology

4 hours ago, Bearil said:

Master Hong always knew that there was darkness on Lusung but he tried to correct him on the proper path instead of vengance. If you are interested on Lusung backtory theres a short comic story already translated on blade and soul dojo lore section as  "Star of Wails - Musung"

And yet he acts totally surprised when Lusung turns out to be a traitor. If he really knew about it I'd expect something more along the lines of "I am disappointed you chose that path in the end" or "so it came down to this after all". Instead, it just makes Hong seem incredibly naive and clueless to it.

2 hours ago, Bearil said:

Killing Yonkai was possible, killing Yonkai and that his army didnt razed the hostage village in retaliation not so much and the PC cant do miracles alone. Plus it was doubtful that the PC could survive if we exclude the game mechanics to not die + certain divinity giving us a few extra lives along the way. Yonkai had always his personal guard near and aside that they were women they were probably quite skilled as well. He was a lecherous *cricket* but he wasnt stupid to choose unskilled beautiful women as his personal guard, proof is that he was still alive after years doing what he damned pleases

As I pointed out before, with the exception of his right hand man Jong Richu, and the two bodyguards and other nameless mooks that serve him, most of the other soldiers make it clear they either don't like him or agree with his ways. I just don't see a whole lot of them trying to raze the village anyway with him dead. And even if they did, so what? Sandstone probably deserves it anyways, they're willing to beat up an innocent woman for asking you to move some corpses that Yonkai wouldn't allow them to.

And finally, you can fight Yonkai and his bodyguards at the Wings of Mushin. While I couldn't kill Yonkai (his HP wouldn't drop below 1%, probably because of story stupidity demanding Jinsoyun kill him instead), I did end up wrecking his bodyguards. Point is, there is no good reason why we couldn't kill him earlier. And if we still using the excuse of his army, well they consist mainly of pathetic mooks that can barely fight off the enemies of the regions they're in. We have nothing to fear from them at this point.

Post note : I also recall that apparently he had ties to the Tyrian Cult, despite being a Stratus Imperial officer. Wouldn't that give General Han Sirang or the operatives of the Stratus Royal Court a reason to put a stop to him? So, even if his army was too much for us alone, we still had people that we could turn to to help deal with him. Bottom line is, there's no reason this guy should've gotten away with everything he was doing outside of plot stupidity.

On the original Master Hong said along the lines of "Might if be that you...?" instead of going captain obvious like here.

In the videos, the PC, Yehara (which by then is stronger than any of the others PC included), Juwol and Soha could barely avoid being overwhelmed  against the Yonkai army at the Wing of Mushin. The fact that they spawn in moderate numbers is to allow gameplay instead of just being zerged by enemies.

Also the numbers of npcs is not indicative of the real number of soldiers near Yonkai (gameplay and story segregation). Theres no need to spawn 100 aditional npcs near Yonkai camp just to enforce the idea that Yonkai is well guarded.

Otherwise we would have to acept that Yonkai could snap his fingers and magically spawn 50 elite soldiers per second on your face until you died

Also even if the village has some assholes that doesnt mean that they all deserve to die. If you get robbed by a thief you dont kill his entire family, friends and neighbours in retaliation, plus the PC under the hallucination samba beat even people that werent atacking and just shouting at him/her so is kinda normal they are much less friendly after

5 hours ago, Nilkemios said:

- Hajoon dying to Jinsoyun's corruption....except that he was nowhere near the main fight with her. The only way this makes any sense is if Lusung or the fiends they were fighting did it, but there is no indication Lusung had any dark powers yet until after the betrayal, and fiends don't seem able to do it themselves. The last possibility is that he fought Jinsoyun after she dealt with us and Hong, but again, it's never shown.

- Everyone we ever talk to who mentions Lusung notes that something was wrong with him, even before the betrayal of Master Hong. Seems like only Hong himself didn't get the memo. Dochun sensed something off with him at some point when they met, and Dokdan (one of the Three Sages) also noted there was darkness in him...so how did this guy end up being one of Hong's disciples? I find it a bit odd that no one brought this up to Hong or tried to warn him.

- Yonkai. Seriously, the whole thing with him is dumb. There is no reason why we couldn't just kill him instead. Spare me the whole "it's not the Hongmoon way" garbage, the guy is working people to death and generally being as stupidly and cartoonishly evil as possible, killing him would've spared us so much crap and time wasted, as well as anyone else he had hurt/killed in the interim.

- Also, that part where you go to Yunwa at the Wings of Mushin. "Gee, she's talking strange, not able to stand upright and has darkness coming out of her like a fountain, I wonder if she's under mind control?" Yet we get no option for our character to notice this or prevent the inevitable backstabbing. Dear story writers, plots that only work because our characters are complete idiots are stupid.

- The Eight, or rather, Six (at the times I've seen them) Masters. So the Warring Factions supposedly have enough sense to put aside their differences and get some of their best together to deal with the "Jinsoyun/Dark Chi threatening the world" thing, yet are always too late to do much and apparently no match for the big bad lady in black. They also never gave the memo to the rest of the faction members, who still fight each other while the world is possibly going to hell.

- Madun being like "You need to know what Jinsoyun is capable of"...even though we have seen at least on three separate occasions what she's capable of!

Bleh. I'm sure I'll find more later, but those stand out to me.

The "Hongmoon way" is more or less dead, since even after your character gets that spiel, you continue to get quests to kill people (other than Jinsoyun's crew) regardless.

Archived