Timing the #2 Anti-grab ability.

ArkNeither

Anyone know exactly what the requirements are to use the #2 key that becomes available when you're grabbed?

The description says prompt response to grab attack; which really is quite vague.

Across my matches I've been trying to experiment with how to use the #2 ability, but I have a feeling lag makes it hard to tell.

- Do you just button mash the #2 key when you get grabbed? Probably not.

- Do you hit #2 moments before/during/after getting hit by a normal grab attack (like KFM punches, or Destroyer axe slaps)? Maybe, I can't tell.

- Do you hit #2 in response to a grab finale attack (like a KFM arm pull, Destroyer air slam, BD drain, FM toss)? This is my most likely guess, but due to lag I can't tell whether to hit the button before the finale, time #2 with the same moment they start the finale, or just press #2 at any point during the finale.

Whenever I do successfully #2, I have no idea what criteria I successfully fulfilled to use it.

You need to hit it at about the same time that they use an active ability (not LB), OR you can hit it as soon as the timer resets if they make the mistake of using an attack that's too long for the grab duration. 

The easiest ability to do this with is LBM soul stab thingy. As soon as you see the sword come out of their back, you hit 2 and they hit the floor. KFM Pummel/armbar you can get almost 100% of the time because it always resets grapple timer. 

8 minutes ago, Kutsuu said:

You need to hit it at about the same time that they use an active ability (not LB), OR you can hit it as soon as the timer resets if they make the mistake of using an attack that's too long for the grab duration. 

The easiest ability to do this with is LBM soul stab thingy. As soon as you see the sword come out of their back, you hit 2 and they hit the floor. KFM Pummel/armbar you can get almost 100% of the time because it always resets grapple timer. 

I knew I should have asked this question a long time ago.  This response makes so much sense.  I thought it was a "do it ASAP when you are grabbed" ability, but it rarely worked.

Does the same apply for FM's 1 while grabbed?  If I time it when they are attacking, will it knock them out?  Or is that just to take advantage of freezing someone while grabbed?

An idiot part of me was thinking there was some RNG component to breaking grabs with these abilities, but this makes so much more sense.  Do some classes have a "use it fast enough and it breaks" ability?  Or if I just hold them in a grip, will it go the full duration as long as they don't time things properly?

Thank you for the explanation!

1 minute ago, Cogbyrn said:

I knew I should have asked this question a long time ago.  This response makes so much sense.  I thought it was a "do it ASAP when you are grabbed" ability, but it rarely worked.

Does the same apply for FM's 1 while grabbed?  If I time it when they are attacking, will it knock them out?  Or is that just to take advantage of freezing someone while grabbed?

An idiot part of me was thinking there was some RNG component to breaking grabs with these abilities, but this makes so much more sense.  Do some classes have a "use it fast enough and it breaks" ability?  Or if I just hold them in a grip, will it go the full duration as long as they don't time things properly?

Thank you for the explanation!

Any triggered ability while you're grabbed (other than the LMBs) should be counterable. Some are nearly impossible to counter unless you predict the timing because they're so fast. Sometimes using it right away will actually get you out of grapple because they immediately activated an ability. If they don't attack you with something that you can counter, then you have no opportunity to counter and they can let you drop. Many destroyers merely LB you during grapple and drop you to start a combo so you have no opportunity to counter. 

Just now, Kutsuu said:

Any triggered ability while you're grabbed (other than the LMBs) should be counterable. Some are nearly impossible to counter unless you predict the timing because they're so fast. Sometimes using it right away will actually get you out of grapple because they immediately activated an ability. If they don't attack you with something that you can counter, then you have no opportunity to counter and they can let you drop. Many destroyers merely LB you during grapple and drop you to start a combo so you have no opportunity to counter. 

Perfect, thanks!

Just now, Gratus said:

To avoid getting knocked down use an iframe when you plan to use a skill (or if you play in low brackets, you can just use your skill right after they hit because they're likely to spam the buttons). Relevant... almost.

Relevant to grapplers who want a tip. That's a good one too. 

You use it prior to them using any ability that typical ends the grab the window seems fairly short.

Things like the smash that heals destroyers does not work but if you use it right before them finishing into either their air combo or ground slam it will counter and knock them down (depending on class using the counter for us BMs it knocks them down)

Edit: To add to this BDs blade attacks while gripped can not trigger the counter.

Archived