Extremely offensive chat.

Doddger

You guys care too much, if you're offended use the block option. It's a free to play online mmo, 12 year olds are gonna be on it. I'm not even gonna get into how I feel about insults actually bothering people, I'll just say it blows my mind that people are that sensitive.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are three things I do when I first join an online game. The first two consist of rebinding keys and fixing the UI because I never like the defaults. The third and most important is I turn off all chat except party and group chat. Online chat is almost always toxic no matter where you go. Just avoid it, you'll live longer.

What's the stupidest thing ever is that this MMO is rated M (Mature) for 17+.

156g12v.png

But you're gonna try to regulate a community to not fuking swear or use obscenity? So what, you are gonna have 17+ year olders in game while 16 and under are in forums trolling? That makes no fuking sense.  The community managers in this forum are all on fuking power trip. They can't seem to control anything in life so they are attempting to control forum chat etc. for a game that is already stating there is mature content. Makes total fuking sense to me.

On 1/22/2016 at 5:59 AM, Doddger said:

As the title says the chat is extremely offensive and it should be monitored.

Some of the character names are offensive.

Is there a way to report players for abusive language/names ?

The chat consists of racial slurs, suggestions to other people of suicide and abuse.

I have even seen couple of threats in the chat.

I play on EU server Starfall Crater.

You think that's bad you won't like Dragon Nest. No gold spammers (somehow) but besides bullying, I saw "Hail Hitler" one. Yes someone actually said that and started a discussion about how "cool" Nazis are, one even had the name Adolf. I'm the guy that nearly strangled one of my classmates when I was a sophomore in high school 'cause he called the genocide of the Jews "A cleanup" and said he "hates gays" in a single class. I missed sadly. He's under house arrest now for terrorism. Go figure. I felt so vindicated when I heard about that from my "sources". Anyways though we're gold spammer free in DN we've got worse stuff. Not to mention desperate guy's looking for girlfriends and paying. People posting rippoffs in the world chat. The problem is that you can't shut off the world chat at all and there is way to many people in the world chat to block given that you have a blocking limit. Oh not mention the GM with an ego problem about a month back. Glad he's gone.

Majority of the offensive chat is likely underage kids that don't understand what consequences are.  I've read a lot of this thread and seen garbage that it is an 18+ game, block and move on.  Well the block option isn't viable as we block all the gold spammers and the list is filled quickly.  

I don't care about cuss words, cursing, or whatever.  The real issue is racial slurs, inappropriate child references and the like.  Quoting the first amendment thinking you can say what you want is a delusion.  Saying anything and everything in the real world is your choice, but then you deal with the consequences.  The difference is this isn't the real world, it is a world created by a company.  NC Soft has the right to say that you can't say what you want.  Being their game and having agreed to the EULA, you put your rights in their hands when it comes to this game.

The exact same applies to anywhere on the Internet.  Saying what you want on the Internet may get you in trouble more than you think.  

A bit of advice for all the kids using social media, forums, etc...  saying what you want could hurt you later in life.  When you apply for a job, what do you think the hiring manager does?  They go and look you up on facebook, twitter, etc..  and see what type of person you are.  Don't be surprised when all you ever get in life is a mediocre job living pay check to pay check.  I suppose it isn't a big deal as long as you think saying whatever you want makes you happy.

On 1/23/2016 at 7:59 AM, TaekJinSucks said:

What's the stupidest thing ever is that this MMO is rated M (Mature) for 17+.

156g12v.png

But you're gonna try to regulate a community to not fuking swear or use obscenity? So what, you are gonna have 17+ year olders in game while 16 and under are in forums trolling? That makes no fuking sense.  The community managers in this forum are all on fuking power trip. They can't seem to control anything in life so they are attempting to control forum chat etc. for a game that is already stating there is mature content. Makes total fuking sense to me.

Not many people really worry about that as much as the racism

On 1/22/2016 at 6:04 AM, Kteehee said:

Really??? I've not seen any of that sort of chat on Wind Spring server yet...but that is really bad. If you right click on the names in chat I know you can block the person...I can't remember if you can report though :S (Sorry I'm at work so I can't check!) I would have thought you could report though... 

try watching the faction chats its gets pretty disturbing sometimes, especially in the crimson legion from what ive seen.

1 minute ago, Yancha said:

Not many people really worry about that as much as the racism

Well, racism is always gonna exist. I guess you could kill every race except one and make everyone identical. Then the only thing u would have to worry about is sexism. You can't force people not to be racist and to try to control people will complain about 1st amendment.

On 1/23/2016 at 8:28 AM, TaekJinSucks said:

Well, racism is always gonna exist. I guess you could kill every race except one and make everyone identical. Then the only thing u would have to worry about is sexism. You can't force people not to be racist and to try to control people will complain about 1st amendment.

You cant stop it but shouldnt let it run rampant

Theres a thing about games where the early community sets a tone for what could carry on later into the game

If its thought of as ok now then itll stay that way and itll just cause endless issues in the future

As long as players are being reported and the moderators make clear that this isnt ok itll be at least somewhat tame

On 1/23/2016 at 8:34 AM, Nightcrawler said:

All this talk of abusive chat and yet nobody talks about how females are so over-sexualized  in this game???????Not that I care though about either.

GJGwl.gif

Honestly

The males are sexualized as well and not too much of it is over the top

Certain outfits that npcs have where theyre not wearing anything on top are more annoying than objectifying

Just now, Nightcrawler said:

Yeah, I didn't mention males because I only have the one toon and it's female.

I don't really care, just thought it was funny people could complain about one thing but be so blind to another.

That's because racism is an easy word to throw around and it makes you feel good when you call out a "racist", but over-sexualization in a game designed for 12 year-olds is not only expected, it's almost required. 

I actually have a much larger problem with how stupid and unrealistic some player characters and NPCs are. Yeah, I'm a nerd who prefers at least some realism/immersion in my games, and I think there's plenty of customization freedom without sacrificing realistic limits. But, eh, it's not the worst thing in the world.

33 minutes ago, Oimetra said:

Or you could alwyas... you know... grow a pair and stop being butthurt over stupid things like this.

Oim~

I can't get over how some people excuse horrible, demeaning, vicious, attacks. Words mean things. They convey concepts and ideas. Yes they do. No one should be told that they're worthless and despised simply because of their race/gender/religion/etc. It's dehumanizing and it's repugnant. You're talking about people here. You're debasing other people's children and family. That type of behavior is despicable and it has no place here.

When there are people in chat debating whether it's more satisfying to molest three or five year olds they should be gone. PERIOD. When there are people in chat advocating every person of color be drowned they should be gone. PERIOD. Telling people to stick their fingers in their ears and go "la la la la" doesn't solve the problem. I can block them but someone else will be subjected to their idiocy. And after they block them someone else, and then someone else, ad infinitum.

Here's the thing, you can say whatever you like in YOUR house. You can advocate murdering minorities and abusing women and children and you can spout all the racial slurs you want. You won't be arrested, you won't be jailed, nothing will happen to you. It's your house. If you try that in my house you will be out the door. That's my rule. I certainly wouldn't tell my other guests to ignore it.

This is NCSOFT's house and THEY make the rules. They've spelled them out in the TOS.  It's their job, and more importantly their responsibility as business owners, to ensure their players aren't subjected to bigotry, pedophilia and cruel verbal attacks. This is the kind of environment they've laid out in their own rules of conduct and TOS. The OP is right. NCSOFT needs to do whatever it takes to get a handle on this.

Right with you on this! I rerolled from Windrest to Starfall Crater and i had to go back to Wildrest cause the chat on Starfall is really bad and offensive. To be honest all chats should start being monitored as well as names. There are people running around with some extremely offensive names.

Also it would be nice if people stopped using the word "cancer" and making ISIS jokes all the time; to some it might be humorous but people have actually died from those things.

Archived