[Feedback] Account Bound Costumes would provide incentive to buy more. (GW2 as a Market Example)

SilverBones

Hey all.

So this opinion is my own and I am sure not everyone follows the same thinking, but here is my mental state on costumes as they are.

In the current system, the costumes are fairly expensive and they are one use. Now the expensive part... well that is always going to be an individual taste thing. Character exclusivity is not helping sell me on them though. There are a bunch of costumes on the store (and more to come down the road) but because I know it will only work for one character, I am not inclined to spend the money unless I see a costume which matches my character exactly. Let's say I find two of these said costumes, I would get them, then settle. I would have to either come into a lot of spare cash or really REALLY like the costume to buy it. Generally not going to happen on every store update.

Now if the costumes were shared, my tolerance for the pricing goes way up. Even if I don't like the costume that much, I'll still buy it because it looks kinda cool maybe, and some alt may look pretty good in it. Perhaps I'll get bored and use it for a change. Much more justifiable to do when I know I don't have to keep re-buying it. As a result, I would spend much, much more money on cosmetics.

Scenario 1 - Character Exclusive) I buy - at tops - 2 costumes per character I 'main' sure as hell's teeth leaving out paid costumes for alts. Say that is at max 3 characters, that is 6 costumes. Total. Ever. 

Scenario 2 - Account Bound) As they are shared, I drop the money for the costumes I want (lets assume I double buy some costume in the first scenario, so we'll say 4 initially) I also buy a few costumes for my Cat, some of the costumes I couldn't quite justify and then when new costumes come out, I feel much more happy to drop cash for basic and good ones instead of just exceptional ones. Result: More initial expenses, plus a steady flow of cash from justifiable costume and cosmetic purchases.

I am not saying costumes that have to be earned in game should be shared, just purchasable ones. Make them available upon login, retrieve them and store them in the wardrobe / use as required. When a new character is made, apply those costumes to the character at creation for immediate use. (Just make it so they can't be destroyed or sold or traded or some such.

Right now, B&S is Scenario one, Guild Wars 2 - which I have spent waaaaay too much cash on for the cosmetics - is closer to Scenario 2.

I like this game, it's style and it's gameplay a lot. I am willing to spend the mulah to get stuff, but I would like to see the publishers meet us half way and make them worth the cost.

I support this, I don't consider the current costumes being that expensive in relative to other games, however it being account bound will definitely allows me to purchase every single costume instead of the ones I like.

Just now, Bridesmaid said:

I doubt they change it. It's also how Tera does the store (another Korean Dev)

Delete the toon loose the costumes.

As an excellent Example, Tera got one cash-shop purchase out of me. I couldn't justify anything else. Comparatively, GW2 feels like a second mortgage payment to my desires; one I pay with pleasure.

Also I am never touching Tera again for it's shoddy business and development practices, but that is another issue.

Just now, Dairy said:

Well one can always hope, and NCSoft will change their minds eventually if enough support, I mean, hey at least we have this game in NA now after like 4 years of waiting and endless petitioning.

And it's a beautiful game, using designs by one of my favorite Video Game artists.

I want to support it more, but I think with it's current market model, the NA and EU areas (who are now more akin to games like GW2 and Warframe) are going to show a lot of resistance to high-priced, single use items. Also seeing as the different Publishers seem to set the pricing and market worth of items in game, it would be easier for NCSoft to provide this to the West without the Eastern Developers needing to change their - assumingly successful - business model.

I honestly cant tell which servers spends less. I know from my expereince in CN where some ppl are like saving down on daily meal cost to afford one in game costume, and the rich in CN having every costume on every char and buying over a million gold, which translate to USD is equivalent to about 500K USD, Though that's just how the CN population is. The difference is I see that CN players are used to paying for the various in game stuff even if it means cutting down their real life spending, So its actually a cultural difference, I don't believe that is yet to happen in NA so it would be better for the management if they could adapt to that as well.

39 minutes ago, SilverBones said:

I am not saying costumes that have to be earned in game should be shared, just purchasable ones. Make them available upon login, retrieve them and store them in the wardrobe / use as required. When a new character is made, apply those costumes to the character at creation for immediate use. (Just make it so they can't be destroyed or sold or traded or some such.

Unless I totally misread, the reason they won't do this is that costumes can be salvaged into fabrics that can then create other costumes. Obviously this would be a huge exploit to that system. However, I think it would be perfectly fine if the costumes were account-bound like the special ones from the Master Founder's Pack. This way you only get 1 costume but you can mail it to any of your characters.

If the costumes were account-bound, I guarantee NCsoft that I would buy nearly all of them right away. As it stands now, I will not buy any until I'm max level and have obtained all the costumes available in-game first. At that point, I might look at the store costumes for more variety but I'd still only ever purchase 2 or 3 per character.

• Yaviey locked this topic

Archived