Performance adjustments in Roots of Malice update

Viblo

As I kind of expected, the performance adjustments from Roots of Malice update weren't actual improvements. You added some extra channels to Mushin's Tower and reduced effects for Blade Master's Spectral Blade. 10/10 for effort. The actual issues that we face in the game are all still there, and it goes further than simple changes like those you made.

To clarify as much as possible: this isn't something you can fix by lazy changes like those in Roots of Malice. You must understand yourself that it's something larger than removing some particle effects from 3rd spec BM. There has been plenty of talk about it's because of how translations are handled (specifically with how western client goes through a filter that maps KR strings into EN), so how about starting to look into that and then, you know, get back to us about it?

At this point, your own players are optimizing this game more than you ever have through mods, but there are limits to what we can do, so please do your part in fixing this. Do your part and properly investigate the rumored optimization difference between the western and the Korean game clients. I read the official response from you where you said there are a lot of factors to count in, and while I agree, the video comparison of the performance difference should still be grounds for a comprehensive investigation.

Sad ly that´s not how ncwest/ncsoft operates, pointing out flaws will be investigated on the korean client not ours, hence why they can´t find the cause.
It´s also much cheaper at this point to delay any effort into fixing UE3 and hoping for a soft reboot with UE4, which sad ly doesn´t change the people who are in charge of bns to rethink their ways for 4 years.

The game was originally written and scripted in the Korean language, therefore that's the official language that works best for the game, and it shows from the videos recorded on the official KR client. This is the first time I've seen an MMO who's translation scripts are creating framerate and lag problems than the high-particle and graphically-complex animations themselves, which begs the questions, "Is anything really being done about this?"

People leave the game not only because it's Pay-to-Win, but because they can't play it. You can't play a game, you quit. More complaints about optimization continue popping up on the forums and social media, but no one's addressing them, and the Roots of Malice update seemed to "address" them, but didn't, because my own client is still having 5-10 FPS just being in a dungeon; not even in a raid!

It's sad NCSOFT only focuses on their KR customers, but that's expected, after all, they are a South Korean game industry, not a North American one.

23 hours ago, Ren36 said:

Sad ly that´s not how ncwest/ncsoft operates, pointing out flaws will be investigated on the korean client not ours, hence why they can´t find the cause.
It´s also much cheaper at this point to delay any effort into fixing UE3 and hoping for a soft reboot with UE4, which sad ly doesn´t change the people who are in charge of bns to rethink their ways for 4 years.

The whole "Korea uses a different client" got debunked by Cyan a few weeks ago (https://www.reddit.com/r/bladeandsoul/comments/chbxcl/hey_ncwest_its_time_naeu_gets_its_own_dedicated/eurhs5i?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x) and their internal server is the one we see on streams. It's usually one patch ahead of the live server so they're able to test the content in advance. As for Unreal Engine 4, the new engine won't magically fix everything. Preexisting issues will remain unless they're actually, you know, fixed.

21 hours ago, Snowyamur said:

The game was originally written and scripted in the Korean language, therefore that's the official language that works best for the game, and it shows from the videos recorded on the official KR client. This is the first time I've seen an MMO who's translation scripts are creating framerate and lag problems than the high-particle and graphically-complex animations themselves, which begs the questions, "Is anything really being done about this?"

People leave the game not only because it's Pay-to-Win, but because they can't play it. You can't play a game, you quit. More complaints about optimization continue popping up on the forums and social media, but no one's addressing them, and the Roots of Malice update seemed to "address" them, but didn't, because my own client is still having 5-10 FPS just being in a dungeon; not even in a raid!

It's sad NCSOFT only focuses on their KR customers, but that's expected, after all, they are a South Korean game industry, not a North American one.

I agree with you, but I don't think it's acceptable to excuse poor region support just because the game isn't from around here. Thinking of it from NCWEST's perspective, they agreed to partner up with Bloodlust to publish the game in the west for mutual gain, but clearly Bloodlust isn't holding up their end of the deal by ignoring glaring issues in the game. The support from Bloodlust from day 1 has been atrocious and I can't believe NCWEST is alright with being the punching bag when most problems come from the developers.

2 hours ago, Viblo said:

The whole "Korea uses a different client" got debunked by Cyan a few weeks ago (https://www.reddit.com/r/bladeandsoul/comments/chbxcl/hey_ncwest_its_time_naeu_gets_its_own_dedicated/eurhs5i?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x) and their internal server is the one we see on streams. It's usually one patch ahead of the live server so they're able to test the content in advance. As for Unreal Engine 4, the new engine won't magically fix everything. Preexisting issues will remain unless they're actually, you know, fixed.

"A lot of people assume we either have our own client or a port of another client. Obviously there's differences when branching off and doing other things, but the people responsible for creating the KR builds are the same ones that do it for every other region."

Cyan says assume, but the performance issues compared to when you log into the "KR-Client" are not mere speculations.
And if it had been an issue that didn´t require coding, it would have been fixed already. This kind of statement also makes me worried if UE4 will even do anything because from what Cyan says it´s not the coding. Then what is it?

On 8/15/2019 at 12:33 AM, Ren36 said:

"A lot of people assume we either have our own client or a port of another client. Obviously there's differences when branching off and doing other things, but the people responsible for creating the KR builds are the same ones that do it for every other region."

Cyan says assume, but the performance issues compared to when you log into the "KR-Client" are not mere speculations.
And if it had been an issue that didn´t require coding, it would have been fixed already. This kind of statement also makes me worried if UE4 will even do anything because from what Cyan says it´s not the coding. Then what is it?

That was kind of the point of my post -- what the other things apart from the localization filters that could possibly be the cause for the ever-worsening optimization. It's why my conclusion included this:

On 8/13/2019 at 9:05 PM, Viblo said:

the video comparison of the performance difference should still be grounds for a comprehensive investigation.

• Like 1