PC build

Reijo

Hello, I want to buy a new PC because my current one (mobo) died and im writing from my phone. I want to build it for a few years without worrying about upgrading for possible UE4 engine update.

1) 64bit client can use up to 8-14gb ram, right? So 16gb of ram is a must. Will HyperX Predator 3000MHz CL15 be good enough?

2) What about GPU? Is GTX1050 enough for B&S 1080p mid-high details or GTX1060 3GB is a must?

3) What Im most unsure about is CPU. I3-8100 vs i5-8400 vs R7 1800X. R7 is 8c/16t so it should benefit if UE4 happened right?  Plus its more future reliable IMO. 

Anyone got Ryzen 7 and plays B&S?Does it have lots of spikes or is it okay?

I already have cpu cooler,ssd psu (500W 80+bronze) and case. All i need is new mobo,cpu,ram and gpu.

Thanks in advance for help

I would go with what you can afford. Get as much ram as you can seeing as that will give the biggest impact to your gameplay. A SSD will not help with gaming. All a SSD will help with is the OS loading times. Once most games are started they reside in the system memory, graphics memory, and the CPU itself. A standard Hard Drive will work quite well. Graphics cards are a heavy subject to discuss, but again go with the best that you can afford. I personally would go with an i7 cpu instead of the i5 though. A lot more performance for the money. For a Mobo go with an ASUS offering, I have always had good luck with them. Good luck with your build.   

I still have a few days before I'll order new PC. I'll use it mainly for B&S and CS:GO so I dont need way too expensive things like f.ex. 1080Ti.. so I'll propably go with gtx1050 for now.

Actually I wont really OC CPU. I'll only use Turbo boost. 

So MegaMouse, will i7-8700 be much better in B&S than i5-8400/r7 1700? 

I would want to have minimum 20-30fps fps in raids. Frequent drops to 1fps is a big NO. 

Everyone who's reading my post, could you post your "CPU, ram, gpu, average FPS and how frequently it drops below 10fps"? Especially in demanding raids. It could help me a lot in making my decision.

BnS won't use a lot of your GPU. 1060 6 GB or 580 8 GB are good ones for BnS (prefer nVidia for UE3/4 optimizations).
BnS won't use a lot of cores/threads, but will relevant when you have high frequencies (and IPC and low latencies, of course). I'm pretty sure that the latest best i3 is close to i5/i7 because the latest i3 is 4 real cores and I don't think that actual BnS will use more than 4 cores. But you have to keep in mind that your system (Windows) and other programs are running too, so 2 more cores are welcome. That why I would go for i5-8X00 or maybe Ryzen 5 with 6 cores (2600 prefered, but not the same price as 1X00 gen :/)
BnS uses a lot of RAM and even has memory leaks (I've proof). You should restart the game every 3 hours to clean memory and limit the bad memory management. I'm sure that high frequencies DDR4 will benefit to BnS. So 16 GB of good DDR4 (~3000 MHz and about C16, 2 sticks). In fact, with GPU, this will be the more expansive nowadays. You will be able to upgrade to 24 GB by adding a third stick when you will need this. But RAM is important, even more with Ryzen CPUs.
Finally, BnS is loading a lot of data from Hard Drive during gaming session... when you load a map, for example. Using a SSD to speed up loading is important for BnS that is clearly not optimized for loading steps.

My decent computer for gaming (targetting BnS) should be nVidia 1060 6 GB, 16 GB DDR4 3000 MHz C16, SSD 256 GB, Intel i5-8400 (or 8500 if the price is not so different).

You asked if i7 would be better than i5. Clearly not so much. i7 will help you to reach very high FPS, but won't help you when BnS will have "low" FPS (I mean in raid, for example). You won't see any difference between i7 and i5. i7 is paired with very-high-end GPUs, as GTX 1080 Ti. If you have  GTX 1070 Ti or lower, you don't need i7. Keep your money for troves ^^
If you want a budget computer with GTX 1050, just go with i3 8X00 (8100 or 8300, but price of 8100 is very sexy for near to 0 performance less  than 8300) or Ryzen 4 cores like Ryzen 3 2200G. GTX 1060 3GB or 580 4GB are ok with i3-8100/Ryzen 3 2200G regarding their prices, but I really think that it is the limit of a gaming computer for BnS or any modern game.

If you go with Ryzen, I'd suggest the 1700; it's the best value of the Ryzen line.

I run bns with a ryzen 1600 (oc'ed to 3.8ghz) and a gtx 1060 6gb, 16Gb DDR4 without any real issues. The game doesn't use even half of the vram though, so 6gb is overkill. In fact, my old gtx 750 ti worked well enough that there was really no reason to upgrade (for bns, that is; this game wasn't the primary reason I upgraded).

Alright so it'll be HyperX 2x8GB 3000mhz cl15 + crucial ssd 240gb (already have it) and corsair 500w 80+ psu (have it).

In terms of cleaning memory i was using CleanMem or whatever name it had. Nodah has a video tutorial of it.

I can get either i5-8400/R7 1700 (i5 build is few dollars more) + Gigabyte Gtx1050 2GB in the same price range or i5/R7 + Palit GTX1060 3GB by paying a bit more. 

I'd rather go with R7 because of solid 8c/16t (Im upgrading my pc every 5 to more years or when it dies).

SkyStorm, did you ever had drops to 1FPS (frequent ones) on Yours R5 1600?

Motherboards for R7 1700 are cheap too (chipset B350), so you will save some money for 3000 or even 3200 MHz DDR4 (CL16 is ok and you can find it for less than 200$ on Amazon). Prefer the 1060 3GB than any 1050 GPU. Don't forget to update the BIOS of your motherboard for latest AGESA which will allows you to take the most performance of your DDR4. And then, in some years, buy a CPU cooler to try to reach 3.9 GHz from your Ryzen by OC, it could help you to stay in the race.

The i5-8400/8500 is more for 1070 GPU and better. Ryzen refresh (2X00) are nice too but the price of 1700 is totally worth it (170€ right now for me).

The bad point of R7 1700 is native frequencies: 3.0 GHz. You should OC it a bit to, at least, reach 3.7 Ghz with stock cooler.

On 6/25/2018 at 4:41 AM, Reijo said:

SkyStorm, did you ever had drops to 1FPS (frequent ones) on Yours R5 1600?

No, I've never had an fps problem. The nvidia profile for bns out of the box is broken however, which may be the cause of some people getting low fps. There's a guide somewhere on the forum about it; I haven't watched it but I think it addresses the issue (I fixed the profile while I was building this rig so I haven't watch it).

Ryzens are very overclockable so I wouldn't be too concerned about the 3.0 stock frequency of the 1700. Even if you don't overclock manually, xfr will boost your frequency; if I set my bios to auto, my 1600 boots at 3.4ghz even though it's rated at 3.2. 

• 1 month later...

Hello, sorry for late reply!

I've had to repair my car so I didn't had as much cash as I planned.. anyway I ended up with:

Ryzen 7 1700 @3.6GHz 1.2V | SilentiumPC Spartan 3 HE1024 Adata XPG Z1 8GB DDR4 3000MHz CL16 | MSI B350 Tomahawk (flashed) | Geforce 750Ti 2GB MSI | WD Black Nvme 250GB

Max temp (3.6 @1.2V 100% CPU stress test) was 67*C so I guess it's okay. In B&S it usually stays around ~55*C, max somehow 62*C. Game uses only 2 cores so very low total CPU usage.

Blade & Soul with motherboard "Gaming Boost" (3.2 ghz) utility and "Auto" CPU Voltage got very shitty FPS (Mushin hall x<10 FPS). After forcing voltage to 1.2V and CPU at 3.6GHz finally gived me enjoyable experience. Max graphics settings: 40-60FPS. "Optimal" (Texture 5, some needed options 3/5, rest 1): stable 60FPS. Mushin Hall (non-CTRL+F): 40-60FPS (minimal FPS: 20+). Mushin Hall (CTRL+F): 60 FPS. Not enough time to test other places yet.

Do I need to do something to force game into 64 bit or it does naturally? I never saw more than 3.8/8GB ram usage while playing. Win 10 64 bit so OS is not an issue.

What’s the most enjoyable PvE class nowadays? I’ve got a bit behind.. since Gunslinger release patch.

Ping: ~100-140ms. Already played: FM (boring), Warlock (bad as hell with it), gunslinger (just spam), Assasin (i guess it’s my fav since you can choose playstyle & trick & stealth), SF (didn’t liked „hybrid” gameplay” and BM (same as warlock). I find KFM interesting but I wonder if my ping is okay to use some of his potential (only PvE aspect, not doing PvP).

That's too bad that BnS just use 2 cores. You have 6 cores to stream ^^ I hope that Unreal Engine 4 for 2019 will change it for at least 4 cores.

BnS easily use more than 4 GB of RAM over time (~3 hours). It get more and more RAM without any limit. My friend left the game running for one entire day, afk, and the game finally used more than 60 GB of memory (of course, its system had swapped to hard drive).

After doing my dailies and PvP, I'm often at 6 or 7 GB. My system is 8 GB of RAM :/

Don't forget to change the profile of your nVidia GPU to the recommend settings. There is a thread about it.

Don't forget to check if your RAM is running at 3000 MHz too. By default, the RAM is running to the official speed which is lower than 3000 MHz. You have to OC to get the speed of your RAM (select XMP profile in your BIOS). It's possible you have to OC it just under 3000 MHz if it's not stable.

Finally, the most enjoyable PvE class? We can't choose for you :) It really depends on a lot of little things. It's nice if you enjoy Sin, it's a cool class with buff and party stealth!

Archived