Class Skill Changes Patch Notes Pet Peeve

Eckogen

A little pet peeve of mine whenever I read the changes to classes and their skills. My question - are you guys copy pasta the translation directly without rewording anything? Whenever the damage modifier for a skill is changed the wording "now increases the damage" is ALWAYS used regardless if it was a buff or nerf. It's misleading as I'm initially reading it, I'm thinking the skill got buffed, but at the end of the sentence I find out it's nerfed.

For example, this is directly off the patch notes:

The 8-piece set effect for Pugilist Soul Shield now increases the damage of Swift Strike and Tiger Strike by 30%, down from 45%

Why not just say:

The 8-piece set effect for Pugilist Soul Shield now decreases the damage of Swift Strike and Tiger Strike from 45% to 30%.

It's straight to the point and doesn't cause any confusion. Maybe, it's me, but every time I see the patch notes this style of presentation is quite triggering. Below is the full patch notes of KFM so you guys can see what I mean.

"Kung Fu Master

General

The Concentration and Unrestrained categories have been removed from the Martial Tome.

Fixed an issue where the effect of Divine Dragon Bracelet was not applying correctly to Swift Strike.

Soul Shields

The 3-piece set effect for Southern Tiger Soul Shield now increases damage of Swift Strike and Tiger Strike by 15%, down from 20%. It also now increases damage of Cyclone Kick and Searing Blow by 25%, down from 35%.

The 8-piece set effect for Southern Tiger Soul Shield now increases damage of Smite by 150%, up from 120%. It also now increases damage of Comet Strike by 50%, up from 30%.

The 3-piece set effect for Dauntless Soul Shield now increases damage of Swift Strike, Tiger Strike, Cyclone Kick, and Searing Blow by 20%, up from 15%.

The 8-piece set effect for Dauntless Soul Shield now also reduces the cooldown of Tremor by 20%.

The 3-piece set effect for Pugilist Soul Shield now also increases the damage of Swift Strike, Tiger Strike, Cyclone Kick, and Searing Blow by 15%.

The 8-piece set effect for Pugilist Soul Shield now increases the damage of Swift Strike and Tiger Strike by 30%, down from 45%.  It also now increases the damage of Cyclone Kick and Searing Blow by 60%, down from 75%.

Searing Palm (X) Searing Palm now increases Critical Damage by 5/10/15/20% per stage instead of a flat 10% regardless of stage."

Because you're still getting a damage increase. That hasn't changed.

"Pugilist Soul Shield now decreases the damage of" sounds like you're getting a damage decrease when your increase is just a lower %. It'd be more accurate to say "The effect has been decreased from x to y."

5 hours ago, Eckogen said:

For example, this is directly off the patch notes:

The 8-piece set effect for Pugilist Soul Shield now increases the damage of Swift Strike and Tiger Strike by 30%, down from 45%

This says, that the damage of Swift Strike and Tiger Strike are increased by 30% by the 8-piece set bonus, not that the current bonus is pushed by 30%. That's a correct english sentence.

The ", down from 45%" is acutally the additive, that gives you the information, that the set-bonus was an increase of 45% before.

5 hours ago, Eckogen said:

The 8-piece set effect for Pugilist Soul Shield now decreases the damage of Swift Strike and Tiger Strike from 45% to 30%.

In this sentence you actually say that the set-bonus decreases the Swift Strike and Tiger Strike damage, which would be a cause to never ever wear this set.

What you really want to say is this:

The 8-piece set effect of Pugilist Soul Shield for Swift Strike and Tiger Strike damage is now decreased by 15% (from 45%) down to 30%.

regards

Archived