Quick Dragonchar question

Unicornslove

Coming back to the game after a long break, need a bit of help with the new sb build. If i understand correctly, going past tier 3 for dragon char is a bit of a waste of points (specially if low hm lvl), because the only time you want to use dragonchar is when sb is up, and that gives you already full speed, correct? I see how tier 4 could be usefull in some ocasions ( extra dmg if target cc), but tier 5 is pretty useless, since when sb is not up i wont be spamming dragonchar, correct?
Now, when sb is not up, what is the best rotation? I've been using lmb firefury dragon blaze, but im not sure if thats the best dps, or lmb, rmb + f, using both fire and frost fury and dual dragons when its up.

If you have warlock in pt you should use S1T5 Dragonchar if You are able to spam it durring whole duration of sb, it will outdps every other rotation even if dps outside sb is lower.

Outside sb you are using fire fury + dragon blaze, lmb+rmb, meteor shower and inferno on cd, also force blast to renew burn (HM S3T5 if you have it)

If you have the 3pc MSP SS bonus, using Dragonchar over F spam is a DPS gain (as long as focus sustains).

(F spam = Fire Fury + Dragonblaze [with ani-cancels in-between])

I feel like using Dragonchar over F spam is a more substantial DPS gain if you have the inferno soul badge and a legendary weapon.

(but I don't have hard numbers for this part)

You are correct though - you don't need to invest all that many points into Dragonchar to make it useful.

(the HM skill is more useful for spamming aoe but on a single target it takes some luck and foresight to get any DPS gain out of it)

1. S1T5 Dragonchar is only useful in situations where you can get infinite focus otherwise it's always wasted points. T3 is the only one you need. T4 only adds extra damage on cc'ed enemies. Here you will most likely only face phantom-grab for a noticible amount of time and during that you will use mystic fire anyway. T4 is not wasted but it doesnt increase your damage really much.

2. As long as you dont have focus issues, dragonchar/beam is always better than fire fury + dragonblaze. I dont know why people think that might be better. All of these skills share global cooldown and damagewise it's 5.5 + 11.0 = 16.5 (fire fury + dragonblaze) versus 2 x 9.7 = 19.4 (2 x dragonchar). Beam is even better than dragonchar. The set effect from the MSP ss makes it even better. Use fire fury only if you want dragonblaze for the buff or dual dragons. Fire fury and dragonblaze is only better if you cant burn the target because of immunity or whatever.

You seem to be forgetting that Dragonblaze reduces Meteor cooldown by 3s:

(you also have the wrong AP multiplier on Fire Fury - +damage on Burn applies to each tick of a skill)

7.5 + 11.0 + 42*3/45 = 21.3

2 Blazing Beams = 20

2 Dragonchar = 19.4

Better than Blazing Beam without MSP 3pc - IFF you can use Meteor on cooldown and hit with all ticks

(and don't have the Inferno Soul Badge or a Legendary weapon, as these devalue meteor cooldown reduction by a random/unknown value)

Also, I know the quick napkin math doesn't account for the extra GCD for meteor, but 21.3 * 44/45 = 20.83 (still better)

Ok, got it. Then what you said was correct. Without msp boost F+F is better but with msp boost 2 is better. We should add that F+F depends more on ping. With high ping I wouldnt bother with using fire fury too much. Even with not so high ping it ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤s up sometimes for me.

With the (someday) upcoming msp badge which changes the meteor cooldown reduction from 3s to 8s it will become stronger than 2 but with the last skill change we might get (someday), dragonblaze will have cooldown and then it's that anyway.

I've never tested this, but I feel like it should be better for high ping actually...

However it can be quite awkward to use since it's easy to cut Fire Fury short (DPS loss).

Moving forward yes, blue and blue+green badges will favor moving away from F+F (and it will disappear completely when Dragonblaze gets a cd)

Archived