New Player

Axionz

Hi All,

As the title says I'm new to BnS & looking for a bit of guidance on what route I need to go and some simple questions such as, how long will it take to reach max level and what is max level? 

I like doing PvE & PvP, would be nice to join a guild that doesn't mind helping new players to the game and can help keep me going in the right direction :).

Any help is greatly appreciated! 

Welcome to the game!

I'm not sure what you mean by what "route" you should go, but can give you a few hints that will help you early.
If you only do the story quests (the yellow quests), you will probably get stuck by the end of an act so you have to grind some or backtrack a few quests to progress to the next area. The level restrictions is 20 (it could be 18, not 100% sure) for act 2, 36 for act 3, and 45 for act 4+. if you do all side quests (blue and purple), you are going to meet all the requirements.

Max level is 50, but you can gain Hongmoon levels (something like paragon levels, if you've played Diablo 3) after that, the first few HM levels is fairly easy to get, but get increasingly slower to level. If you rush the story quests, it takes about 2-4 days to level to max if you are efficient. Count on 1-2 weeks for a newcomer unless you want to experience the story, then double that.

So, some hints. The Hongmoon weapon you get in the beginning (once you're through with the tutorial) is upgradeable, you never replace it, it just changes name and become stronger (shift+lmb on the weapon, second tab, to upgrade). The green weapons and jewelry you get before act 3 is good to upgrade with, act 3+ they become very expensive to use in upgrade. Save your lucky/hongmoon jewels/elements till then, feel free to spend your training jewels/elements early, as they become useless after act 2. You also get accessories as you progress through the story that is also upgradeable like your weapon.

If you have a friend that already plays, ask him if you can borrow (or get) 1 gold and sell it on the currency exchange (ctrl + c) once you get to level 16. You'll get some hongmoon coins you can use in the store (F10), to buy master hong's care package (cost 1 hongmoon coin, once per account) that has some pretty nice goodies. Early on, I'd recommend the life steal gem to socket into the weapon, later you can exchange it for the attack power gem.

Blue and purple items that have the text "breakthrough material" or "evolution material" is used to upgrade your weapons and accessories, save those for breakthrough (stage 5) and evolution (stage 10). Some examples are Stalker weapon to breakthrough your hongmoon weapon to stage 6, Dura's ring to breakthrough your hongmoon ring to stage 6 and Blight Weapon to evolve your hongmoon weapon from stage 10 to Awakened Blight Weapon stage 1.

@Axionz - Depending on your server group and when you play, I could invite you to a guild that's pretty helpful.

The above posters gave a great overview.  I would strongly try to remember that most of the content will be "gear dependent".  You will need to reach a certain amount of stats in order to comfortably do some dungeons and might need a certain amount of AP (Attack Power) to be accepted into parties (usually a nice guild doesn't care too much about it)

And another tip:  Before going into a Heroic Dungeon (Purple), try to look up that dungeon on youtube or forums to read up on a guide or see what's in the dungeons.  It's a hit or miss when you join parties that you'll find people in the party that will slow down to try to teach the dungeon.

1 hour ago, Yndril said:

Welcome to the game!

I'm not sure what you mean by what "route" you should go, but can give you a few hints that will help you early.
If you only do the story quests (the yellow quests), you will probably get stuck by the end of an act so you have to grind some or backtrack a few quests to progress to the next area. The level restrictions is 20 (it could be 18, not 100% sure) for act 2, 36 for act 3, and 45 for act 4+. if you do all side quests (blue and purple), you are going to meet all the requirements.

Max level is 50, but you can gain Hongmoon levels (something like paragon levels, if you've played Diablo 3) after that, the first few HM levels is fairly easy to get, but get increasingly slower to level. If you rush the story quests, it takes about 2-4 days to level to max if you are efficient. Count on 1-2 weeks for a newcomer unless you want to experience the story, then double that.

So, some hints. The Hongmoon weapon you get in the beginning (once you're through with the tutorial) is upgradeable, you never replace it, it just changes name and become stronger (shift+lmb on the weapon, second tab, to upgrade). The green weapons and jewelry you get before act 3 is good to upgrade with, act 3+ they become very expensive to use in upgrade. Save your lucky/hongmoon jewels/elements till then, feel free to spend your training jewels/elements early, as they become useless after act 2. You also get accessories as you progress through the story that is also upgradeable like your weapon.

If you have a friend that already plays, ask him if you can borrow (or get) 1 gold and sell it on the currency exchange (ctrl + c) once you get to level 16. You'll get some hongmoon coins you can use in the store (F10), to buy master hong's care package (cost 1 hongmoon coin, once per account) that has some pretty nice goodies. Early on, I'd recommend the life steal gem to socket into the weapon, later you can exchange it for the attack power gem.

Blue and purple items that have the text "breakthrough material" or "evolution material" is used to upgrade your weapons and accessories, save those for breakthrough (stage 5) and evolution (stage 10). Some examples are Stalker weapon to breakthrough your hongmoon weapon to stage 6, Dura's ring to breakthrough your hongmoon ring to stage 6 and Blight Weapon to evolve your hongmoon weapon from stage 10 to Awakened Blight Weapon stage 1.

Thanks bud I will keep all this in mind, really appreciate the help.

What's your in-game name? 

14 minutes ago, dualistique said:

@Axionz - Depending on your server group and when you play, I could invite you to a guild that's pretty helpful.

The above posters gave a great overview.  I would strongly try to remember that most of the content will be "gear dependent".  You will need to reach a certain amount of stats in order to comfortably do some dungeons and might need a certain amount of AP (Attack Power) to be accepted into parties (usually a nice guild doesn't care too much about it)

And another tip:  Before going into a Heroic Dungeon (Purple), try to look up that dungeon on youtube or forums to read up on a guide or see what's in the dungeons.  It's a hit or miss when you join parties that you'll find people in the party that will slow down to try to teach the dungeon.

Again thanks for posting and sure I'm up for joining your guild. 

I've picked BM and really enjoying the story line/cut scenes so far! 

1 hour ago, Raizou said:

Depends on your playtime. Normally, you can end up lv 50 HM 1-3 until one week (by playing 2-4 hours).

Here is a a short "guide" for newbies and comming back - players:

http://www.bladeandsoul.com/en/news/welcome-back-to-blade-soul/

Thanks bud, all info is very much welcome! looking to get stuck in to get through the learning curve as we all do with any new MMO.

10 minutes ago, Axionz said:

Thanks bud I will keep all this in mind, really appreciate the help.

What's your in-game name? 

Again thanks for posting and sure I'm up for joining your guild. 

I've picked BM and really enjoying the story line/cut scenes so far! 

Thanks bud, all info is very much welcome! looking to get stuck in to get through the learning curve as we all do with any new MMO.

You're welcome, and same name in-game as here :)

Which server did you pick? The servers got merged (or linked, as the developers call it) some time ago, so even if you're not on the same server, you might be in the same server group. Sadly, you can't even whisper to someone on another server group :(

Archived