Pet can't keep hate even on normal mobs :/

Noellessa

Hi all,

Level 36 Summoner and I'm finding that my pet can't hold hate on even normal, questing mobs unless I use Q (set to threat).  I initiate on quest mobs with TAB and then wait a few seconds before I use sunflower then some rose thorns.  By the 2nd Rosethorn or so, the mob(s) are running towards me unless I use Q at the pull.  Is there anything I can do to not have to constantly use Q on every pull?  I also have a 25 AP diamond and 360 Ruby on this character :/  Thanks for any help! (maybe wait longer before engaging?).

Are you serious? What kind of game are you looking for? Where your pet does everything and you just dps? Your pet has a 8 second taunt... There's a SMALL 3 second window before it can taunt again where you have use mechanics to stay alive... Root.... S s... Something.....

I know that he can taunt for 8 seconds, but I am only asking if it is needed/usual for summoners to have to use Q to taunt on even normal quest mobs.  I'm aware and use the escapes/stealth when soloing bosses, etc. but on regular mobs I would've thought the pet could hold hate without having to resort to using taunt.  Plus, I am using this summoner as my 'relax and help people' job as opposed to my main WL.  In most content up to around 33-34 I never had this issue so wasn't sure if something changed around those levels as far as pet holding hate without having to taunt or not.  

From my understanding, cat taunt is just temporary/backup aggro, it doesn't stick when it's over. It goes back to who has higher threat from the target(s) instead. I suggest you use other tools along with taunt to keep targets in place, like 2 (you can spec it to daze) and 1 (snare). Should give you more coverage until you can use cat taunt again.

And that's even with bosses not immune to the aggro effect cat taunt.

As Tsuchiryu said, the taunt is just temporary and if you do massive amount of dmg (which most likely to happen with sunflower) your cat will lose aggro, since it does pretty low dmg compared to you. But if you manage your cooldowns correctly you won't have a problem keeping mobs in bay. Tbh I rarely use cat taunt even on bosses, since i can just CC them to death.

Here's a cc rotation which can keep them down for the whole fight (keep in mind, a few of these skills are one target only) :

- open with Grasping roots (spec to snare for 8 sec)

-at 1-2 sec before grasping roots time out use Thorn Strike (spec for 2 sec daze)

- combine Thorn Strike with Uppercut and Play Time for more airborn time

- after the mob landed use Power Pounch for 4-5 sec grapple (if you're not fast enough, or have higer latency, just use Anklebiter for knockdown)

-at this time Grasping roots will be up, so repeate, if not you still have Strike to gain 2 sec daze (needs to be speced)

+use taunt if you run out of cc for some reason

On bosses requiring 2 attack for knockdown it looks like this:

- open with Grasping roots (spec to snare for 8 sec)

- at 1-2 sec before grasping roots time out  curl your cat for taunt with Crouching Tiger

-after taunt ended use Thorn Strike (spec for 2 sec daze) and  Strike (spec for 2 sec daze) for knockdown

-use Power Pounch for 4-5 sec grapple

-if the boss resist, just dodge attacks with Seed shroud and True friend untill your skills are up again or the boss becomes vulnerable again

-repeate

-If you're fighting a boss and adds at the same time during Power Pounch use Headbutt for 30 sec unconscious and deal with the adds. Keep in mind, any dmg dealt to the boss will break the cc, so don't use AOE near it, and try to lure the adds away.

As some backup plan a well timed Beckon can resist dmg and a specked Evade (SS) can snare for 3 sec as well.

Aggro is based on dmg done (if you exclude taunts). Some abilities have threat modifiers, which they generate 0xdmg as threat or up to 4xdmg as threat, standard is 1xdmg.
your cat will deal less dmg than you and therefore will not be able to hold aggro except the use of taunt.

The taunt has a duration of 8 seconds and cooldown of 12 seconds. You need to fill this 4 second gap with CC's, stealth or defensive cd's.

You can use your E, which with 2 points in it will reset your taunt cd, so you can E -> tab -> Q to quickly retaunt
You can use your 1 to root the enemies, especially if you are behind the mobs they won't do anything (some mobs will break the root with a charge move if they can see you)
You can choose the path on the right to AoE daze with your 2, this lasts for 2 seconds and if you go Q -> 8 seconds -> Q expires -> 1 second -> Thorn Strike (2) -> 1 seconds -> Q that should prevent most mobs from doing anything at all
Your cat has an AoE knockdown for 3-4 seconds with your V, using this just as the taunt expires will let you retaunt before they move.
You can use your X specced as a 5 attacks within 5 seconds shield and then just wait it out and retaunt
Lastly you can let the mobs approach you, use your 4 as they attack you and stay in stealth until you can retaunt.

Adopting and circulating these abilities depending on the mob and number of mobs should let you keep them all locked down indefinetely :)

Thanks for the replies and very helpful information all :)  I'm finding it easier to manage the kitty losing aggro and just using the skills suggested in the above posts to avoid damage (if the mob isn't dead before it gets to me, which it usually is).  I think coming from playing WL to HM5 and all, a job that doesn't have near the tools to escape/evade that SMN has, I always worried a bit when mobs approach me :P  Thanks again and yep - I have to admit that while the general community sadly seems to look down on summoners and call them names (I mean geez...'scummoner'), I love the class because it is so adorable and fun ^^

Archived