Warlock builds

xZerefx

This is my PvE build for my warlock. Personally, don't know why people Soulburn, Time Distortion is just so much better, especially for burst DPS and such which people seemingly often complain about. When level cap goes up and more hongmoon come out I plan on expanding into other powers and such but currently this seems to be the best choice for my play style, which is to control and kill things before they have a chance and of course we have like 4 defensive powers we can kick on at any given moment.

1 hour ago, OkamiTsuchi said:

This is my PvE build for my warlock. Personally, don't know why people Soulburn, Time Distortion is just so much better, especially for burst DPS and such which people seemingly often complain about. When level cap goes up and more hongmoon come out I plan on expanding into other powers and such but currently this seems to be the best choice for my play style, which is to control and kill things before they have a chance and of course we have like 4 defensive powers we can kick on at any given moment.

Time Distortion is great but if you're in a party with people like KFM who have low cooldowns on most of their skills and they rely on particular rhythm, Time distortion can actually disrupt patterns. The reason most people most people prefer Soul burn is because if they get paired with Melee fighters who ani cancel, they need to be able to abuse the DPS they can do and Soul Burn goes great in combination with DPS moreso than Time distortion. 

I won't lie, for a Warlock Time Distortion is great on its own but for a party, especially with certain classes that rely on rhythmic ani cancelling, it can be very frustrating. 

1 hour ago, TopKEK said:

Time Distortion is great but if you're in a party with people like KFM who have low cooldowns on most of their skills and they rely on particular rhythm, Time distortion can actually disrupt patterns. The reason most people most people prefer Soul burn is because if they get paired with Melee fighters who ani cancel, they need to be able to abuse the DPS they can do and Soul Burn goes great in combination with DPS moreso than Time distortion. 

I won't lie, for a Warlock Time Distortion is great on its own but for a party, especially with certain classes that rely on rhythmic ani cancelling, it can be very frustrating. 

Ani canceling should be fixed to begin with. And considering some of the groups I've been in, I doubt they even know what ani cancel is to begin with.

12 hours ago, OkamiTsuchi said:

Ani canceling should be fixed to begin with. And considering some of the groups I've been in, I doubt they even know what ani cancel is to begin with.

But it won't be fixed. The devs have already accepted it as the de facto way to play the game. 

21 minutes ago, Trickery said:

21 minutes ago, Trickery said:

But it won't be fixed. The devs have already accepted it as the de facto way to play the game. 

There is only one constant in MMOs, never say never. Devs change their mind about things so frequently that it is impossible to know what is what won't be changed in the future. For example, let's remember that Druid shapeshifting in WoW being instant root break was considered a bug, but an acceptable one for years, then in Cataclysm was it they fixed the bug, and how people claimed the devs said it was an acceptable bug. Never sit there and believe that the devs will never revisit a decision.

3 minutes ago, Nerien said:

Ani cancel is on the game for 4 years now, why would they change something that is now part of the core gameplay of some classes?

Druid root breaking was in WoW since Vanilla launch, and removed in Cataclysm. That was 6 years later. And if I recall the bug was fixed towards the end of Cataclysm, which means it was more on the realm of 8 years later. Again, never say never about what devs may or may not do or change their minds on.

Just now, OkamiTsuchi said:

Druid root breaking was in WoW since Vanilla launch, and removed in Cataclysm. That was 6 years later. And if I recall the bug was fixed towards the end of Cataclysm, which means it was more on the realm of 8 years later. Again, never say never about what devs may or may not do or change their minds on.

Never played wow, so I wouldn't know, but I did played Aion(which is another NcSoft game) from the release on KR and 4 years on the NA server and that game also have ani cancel and it was never changed, so don't hold your breath

2 minutes ago, OkamiTsuchi said:

That's great and all, but surely you should build your class around what is the reality today, and not what it might be 4-5 years from now?

1 minute ago, Trickery said:

That's great and all, but surely you should build your class around what is the reality today, and not what it might be 4-5 years from now?

You seem to be misinterpreting what I am saying, or trying to look for a hidden meaning.

2 minutes ago, OkamiTsuchi said:

You seem to be misinterpreting what I am saying, or trying to look for a hidden meaning.

TopKEK said that using Time Distortion can ruin things for your party members because of animation cancelling. Your reply was that animation cancelling should be removed and people probably didn't know how to use it anyways. 

Considering that animation cancelling is in the game and not likely going away for the foreseeable future, would you not agree that you should build and play your character based on what is the current reality and not on some hypothetical scenario that doesn't exist yet? 

I don't see what I'm misinterpreting. Please feel free to enlighten me. 

I'd assume the "people don't know how to ani-cancel anyways" part.  That said, they'll probably learn to ani-cancel a lot sooner than the devs will fix it so they can't.  (particularly since the devs have officially said "it's intended".  (which admittedly doesn't mean it actually was.))  And, of course, you can always speed up that process by telling them about/how to do it.

Most people don't Ani cancel in general situations such as killing mobs so Time Distortion can have its use there, however for bosses like ones in Nar Lab and BSH, you want to get the best DPS out of every character you have and most people who do these dungeons have ample amount of knowledge with ani cancelling. Me personally I'd carry Soul Burn for the best DPS out of every character in a party but I have seen people who use Time Distortion when I'm on my KFM and they use it more strategically as opposed to just using it at random times (mostly when you wanna invi frame a mob, Time distortion resetting skills is really helpful there). 

The reason I personally suggest Soul Burn as opposed to Time Distortion is because Soul Burn is more user friendly for a Warlock. You can use it more often and have little to no repercussion if you use it randomly (in the same way KFM buff works) which makes WL life slightly easier. Time Distortion is for those who have a solid built party with friends and have a more planned approach since it can be very useful when people want to have certain skills reset (it comes in real useful when I want to get my lvl 4 Searing Palm up) but it can be very daunting at times when WL uses it randomly and I accidentally cast a skill twice as opposed to once (for example I accidentally use Comet Strike twice when I press 4 fast for Hellfire kick). Most people wouldn't really notice the effects of Time Distortion, heck I don't really notice it at times when I'm on my KFM and a WL uses it, but when I get my rhythm going on my KFM sometimes it can mess up patterns that I've got since I'm expecting certain skill cooldowns to go along with my pattern.

Overall they are both great skills, I recommend Soul Burn if you're like me and like to use a buff at random times. Time Distortion is just as great for me however in terms of party play, I'd be more careful with how to use it. Most times you can tell when to use the skill and you won't really find much repercussion but there are certain moments when it can affect another person's gameplay. 

Archived