starting countdown for 1 vs 1

Zerachiel

Would like to suggest a start of match countdowns in the 1 vs 1 arena matches, give those that play that game with slightly slower connections a chance to full load into the arena before the match begins, and not load in with half their HP missing already. 

I have run into this issue nearly every time I have entered the arena, and always on the second match.. I take 4-5 seconds to load in, and i'm up in the air locked into a aerial combo with 25% of my hp gone. Pretty much for most the match would be set at that point unless they could really get in and do some massive damage. 

The only instance like PVP I have experience with is Lineage 2's Olympiad and Ceremony of chaos, Oly is a 1 vs 1 while Coc is a 13 man free for all. But both of those have roughly a 1 minute timer to give people a chance to load and buff. Because we don't have buffs in this game a timer that long wouldn't be needed but even a 20 second timer would give those with slower connections or not epic gaming computers a chance to load in fully. 

There´s a 10 second countdown at the top of the arena, and your character is moved to the arena, There´s no map loading during this for me. Basically your characters are moved like 20 feets down.

The 10 second countdown only starts after 6 players pressed "ready" - or if the preparation time passed. That´s plenty of time. In fact, I get kind of impatient of waiting for players to hit "ready" tbh.

In my oppinion, the loading time and prep-time + countdown time is plenty enough, and adding more waiting time for all the players - just to serve a few players with a lowend machine - that´s not acceptable.

The game doesn´t have high requirements, and there´s things you, yourself can do to improve performance. But if you´re sitting on an old pentium-rig with DDR2 ram and integrated graphics and a 5400 RPM HDD rocking older version windows - then you need to upgrade.

Believe it or not, apparently Windows 7 works better for BnS, I've only heard this but from many people, personally I run on windows 8.1 fine!

These ideas might help?

Ticking to Low end PC Button, in the graphics menu's, basically sets all graphics settings to lowest of low, it might help load times?

SSD's are godlike to load games, its not likely you have one lying around, but I strongly suggest looking into it.

Optimize for combat mode selected in the graphics menu.

I was not speaking of that time for which you need to press ready. I was speaking of that time when the counter hits zero and you are transported to the actual arena. As I stated above there is a 4-5 second load time switching between the two areas, but it seems to be enough that those with high end computers can get across the arena and behind me and put me in an lock before they have even loaded on my screen. 

A few second delay is not that huge of a thing to ask, I'm not asking for the minute delay other NCsoft games have implemented.

And trust me, while i'm not running an epic $2000 gaming rig, my computer is by no means crappy, hardly a year old. Last night myself and a few clannies from L2 who migrated over spend a while trying to figure out why two of us were having such issue with lag and DC'ing going into dungeons despite having decent computers. 

1 minute ago, Rainbowsaur said:

Believe it or not, apparently Windows 7 works better for BnS, I've only heard this but from many people, personally I run on windows 8.1 fine!

These ideas might help?

Ticking to Low end PC Button, in the graphics menu's, basically sets all graphics settings to lowest of low, it might help load times?

SSD's are godlike to load games, its not likely you have one lying around, but I strongly suggest looking into it.

Optimize for combat mode selected in the graphics menu.

The SSD was actually recommended by my friends last night as both of them run SSD and have no load time at all. Though granted being computer geeks they got high end gaming rigs too. 

I do have my graphics turned all the way down, and i'm running on windows 10 -.- better then 8 but would rather have xp lol . I can run both Lineage 2 and Aion on full detail just fine (only lag in big cities like Aden and Pan) 

People who have such terrible computers to not be able to load in to the Arena in time to defend themselves, probably are not going ot be able to actively fight in the arena anyways.

You can run lineage 2 on full, lol. I think I started playing lineage 2 what 10-15 YEARS ago.

Anyways, on the contray. I feel like its stupid to have a ton of countdowns and cooldowns after already having a waiting period for people to get ready.

This reminds me of that "Nosgoth" game, like everything is a loading or a waiting screen, wait 2mins for the match to start, only to have to pick a character and wait 2 more minutes for the -rdy- time, only to finsh the game and be forced to look at the finish screen for 2 minutes, only for the game to end to be brought to another victory screen for 2 more minutes.

Like jesus Christ can I play the game.

20 minutes ago, Rane said:

People who have such terrible computers to not be able to load in to the Arena in time to defend themselves, probably are not going ot be able to actively fight in the arena anyways.

You can run lineage 2 on full, lol. I think I started playing lineage 2 what 10-15 YEARS ago.

Anyways, on the contray. I feel like its stupid to have a ton of countdowns and cooldowns after already having a waiting period for people to get ready.

This reminds me of that "Nosgoth" game, like everything is a loading or a waiting screen, wait 2mins for the match to start, only to have to pick a character and wait 2 more minutes for the -rdy- time, only to finsh the game and be forced to look at the finish screen for 2 minutes, only for the game to end to be brought to another victory screen for 2 more minutes.

Like jesus Christ can I play the game.

Lineage 2 is only 11 years old... and since GOD was released it's a graphics *cricket*, so there is a big difference between prelude L2 and Undergound. Even people with good gaming computers have issues loading into places with a lot of people in highly condensed area's like Aden or Giran. 

That is why i stated (for the third time) it's only at max a 20 seconds pre battle timer, the 20 seconds is being liberal and probably more then needed. Have to remember not everyone has the $$$ to buy a fancy gaming rig. They should have just as much right to play the game and pvp with those that can drop the $ into good comps. I don't think that is a huge thing to ask for. Guess i'm too use to Olympiad since the wait time for battles here is extremely fast. 

I believe you Zerachiel, also about your rig being decent enough. I have played L2 and Aion and the same PC will be faster on Aion than on L2 because of the huge amount of objects L2 loads. Those guys who miscomprehend here do not know what "adena art" is and what it does to your game performance. Also not 100 people fishing and 1000 people on buy and sell shops. XD

That said, I am using a 3 year old rig (NVidia GTx 550 Ti and similar stuff) and have no noticeable loading time on "optimized for PvP" graphic settings. This seems like some unusual problem where either, normally good hardware does not work well together or, some sort of software interference gets in the way. Maybe NCsoft support can help? I think they might take such things seriously, even if they are heavily busy at the moment with the millions of players... ;)

Most of lineage2 lag comes from the engine being buggy and terrible, not because of the amount of graphics your loading.

If you think I'm lying, I would suggest consulting with players who were in lineage 2 beta. (and sometimes see the same issues in B&S falling through the map etc etc.)

Anyways that's my opinion.

The only way I would support this at all, is if they remove the spot you start out at in arena. Or, give players such as your self, a door to walk through that will teleport them in to their arena spot, where they will stand waiting for the enemy who will be loaded in after the countdown if they don't ready up early.

(Or perhaps) once you hit ready you should be ported in to the arena area waiting.

This way I don't have to suffer even more waiting times, just for someone who's computer lacks the ability to play competitively, can try to make a competitive appearance.

Not trying to hate, just my thoughts.

One thing that could be implemented is a sort of spawn protection, where the person is unable to be attacked until they physically move or type. They have that in other games where until the player makes a move to show they are active on their end you can't attack them.

And before anyone brings up they could use this and be 'afk' most the match, a timer would be implemented.. if they don't move from spawn protection for say.. 7-8 seconds  upon the game registering that they are loaded in the arena the protection ends and they are fair game. 

I don't mind a spawn protection, but again your just hurting yourself.

This means I can set up all my defensive moves(As a sin) and advance to you in the arena waiting to attack once you come to life.

My best suggestion is once you click "ready" you are teleported to the arena and waiting for your enemy.

This doenst' require extra anthing, no extra timers, no extra coding, just let you load in early.

Running an 3 year old laptop, with 8GB DDR3, Intel HD graphics 4200M card, 1TB 3g disk and still don't have any issues with the loading time on the game.
Also i don't think and additional countdown with help anything for loading into the arena battle.
try adjusting your render distance

1 hour ago, Rane said:

I don't mind a spawn protection, but again your just hurting yourself.

This means I can set up all my defensive moves(As a sin) and advance to you in the arena waiting to attack once you come to life.

My best suggestion is once you click "ready" you are teleported to the arena and waiting for your enemy.

This doenst' require extra anthing, no extra timers, no extra coding, just let you load in early.

The thing with the entering upon hitting ready, there are many times your opposition hits ready at the same time or before you can. So that is running into the same issue. 

1 hour ago, StaleDevil said:

Running an 3 year old laptop, with 8GB DDR3, Intel HD graphics 4200M card, 1TB 3g disk and still don't have any issues with the loading time on the game.
Also i don't think and additional countdown with help anything for loading into the arena battle.
try adjusting your render distance

I'm not the only one running into this issue, my friend who is also running off a year old computer like myself is running into the same issue. we both have 500 gb or higher HD, 8 gb ddr, quad core. I'm running a amd card i don't know what she has. Only thing we could think of was both of us have standard HD not SSD. But as i said this is for those that are having this issue not the bunch that have good computers. 

It's just an idea, nothing more.. as I doubt the mods will do anything. 

I understand your frustration but you also have to understand you are part of a bigger community here on B&S
they can't just adjust any single detail just for what could be a 1~5% issue rate due to unknown reasons with hardware since they'll just say look at the recommendation and purchase those.

Like my laptop isn't even the latest hardware such as you might have, but that means there are issues with your hardware and not the game.

While i'm add it, do you only get this issue on Arena / Cross-server dungeons?

Archived