Ping And how to Check it

PsychoticFlamez

So, I've been hearing people ask this for the past 5 days I've been playing, and I've come to tell you some bad news. There is no way to do it ingame, although if you want to know what it is I'll walk you through it.

1. Open Task Manager.fa237a67c272f2e822b65b9922613535_zpsgfur

2.Click the performance Tab.

3.At the bottom click Open Resource Manager.05d3d0f40451a47ad98c9dd2d8d992b5_zpsjlqx

4.Find and Check the box that says Client.exe

5.Go to the network Tab.

6.Click the drop down that says TCP Connection3571f10a13406a28b62ed3c8625e7cd0_zpseglq

7. Scroll over to where it says latency.

8.Profit

Pictures coming soon guys. for those who aren't tech savy.

Disclosure: None of these Pictures has any personal information about me or my ip, the ip shown is the servers ip. and my public ip is not displayed.

or ping us.ncsoft.com. However, add 30-50ms (minimum) for server hardware/software latency, which is not reported in a simple TCP/IP ping.

However, as per the post/edit below, resmon may actually report the correct latency. Needs more tests/documentation.

16 minutes ago, PsychoticFlamez said:

the resource manager is accurate for 100% including what you mentioned above.

It only reports TCP/IP ping to that IP address; no different.

Actually, that's my understanding anyways. I should do a packet log to make sure.

Edit: Just realized (or forgot) you can't ping the actual server IP. The other IPs are returning the same ping thru resmon or ping facility. It's not unimaginable that the extra 30-40ms for the server IP is simply due to load on the server, but could also represent the actual client.exe latency.

Still not sure, as I can't find any documentation on the issue so far. Ugh, time for ICMP packet logging.

Also, you can open Resource Monitor by hitting Start+R (Run), and typing 'resmon'.

5 minutes ago, 2501 said:

It only reports TCP/IP ping to that IP address; no different.

Actually, that's my understanding anyways. I should do a packet log to make sure.

Also, you can open Resource Monitor by hitting Start+R (Run), and typing 'resmon'.

That is another way to open it yes, much faster too, but not many users may know what the "start" button on their keyboard even is xD.

Cool thread. On League of legends i know it stored you connection logs. I Was wondering does this game do that also? Because you could drop that connection log file into a site called logs of lag and it would tell you your packet loss etc...

Any way to do that on here?

2 minutes ago, LadyMidday said:

Cool thread. On League of legends i know it stored you connection logs. I Was wondering does this game do that also? Because you could drop that connection log file into a site called logs of lag and it would tell you your packet loss etc...

Any way to do that on here?

I'm not sure If it records the packets sent and recieved, but it does actively tell you if you've lost any packets.

4 minutes ago, Infidel said:

Thank you.  I'm a bit annoyed.  I have 4.5GB/s internet and I'm only a few hours away from Dallas, but I'm showing an average 70 ping.

yeah I have fast stable internet as well and its 235ms from Brisbane 20-30ms higher then it should be. They do have some serious connectivity issues

57 minutes ago, PsychoticFlamez said:

I'm not sure If it records the packets sent and recieved, but it does actively tell you if you've lost any packets.

tldr; you can add 1000ms (one thousand) to latency. server is only sending approx 250 packets every 300 secs. Your actions should be shown immediately, due to client-side animation, but others' actions will be delayed by 1 second or greater.

Best explanation I can find is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CMueBcQNtk and https://communities.bmc.com/thread/102048?start=0&tstart=0 and https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/214397 (highly technical)

Essentially, due to delayed TCP-ACK response, it may be reporting higher than expected latency, then averaging it out over time for display.

However, this is all still within the realm of speculation, as I cannot find official documentation. It may still be reporting accurate latency, if the ACKs are not delayed. Would need to install Wireshark. Although it seems unlikely that they are delayed, due to the high number of packets the game server receives.

Edit: Actually, it's possible ACK delay is coming into play (don't feel like installing Wireshark now though). Over 300 seconds, the game server is sending/receiving approx 250 packets here, which is less than 1 per second (higher than 200ms ACK delay). Although, that doesn't seem to correspond/apply to the other IP latencies reported. Hence, it may be accurate after all.

Also, you don't need to perform all those intermediate steps: You can select network tab, wait 3 seconds, and Client.exe will appear.

What I did just come to realize however, is that even though your ping may be 50-100ms, the server will only send a packet approx every 1 second (due to server update/'tick' rate). It's very common for MMOs to throttle update rate to prevent it from becoming overburdened (due to having 50+ players in a zone).

Archived