Unstable ping, how to solve?

Jafon

Hi everyone.

I'm back to the game since couple days, and found out now whenever u use a skill, a delay/ping shows next to fps

2q8nate.jpg

So, while my ping on any other ol game I play is stable (47-54 ms on league euw depending on time of the day, not lagspiking or anything, 38-41ms on OW -same not lagspiking- etc) on bns I get ping constantly moving between 100-150, 240 etc, and I've started to wonder on what it depends, since Im sure my net works properly, and nobody else is reporting issues that much lately. Im from south italy and using a FTTS fiber connection, my pc has been freshly made and the specs are the following:
Intel i7 6700k 4.00 GHz

Strixx Nvidia GTX 980 TI

Asus z170 pro gaming

I'm connected to modem by ethernet cable.

Anything wrong with my connection to bns server, or anything to unlock in pc firewall/modem firewall?

its just bns feature. Not even germans have 50 ms in BnS, maybe servers are faulty, maybe nc's net provider can't provide good enough connection in EU, maybe the fact that game have to be connected to some ip's in NA and some in EU. Really there is nothing you can do about it.

Its that ingame ping meter arent that acurate. It shows for me 120-180ms in Latvija, when i realy have around 50ms, tested with some pinging tools, windows tool and a wtfast. Also game feels like it has around 50ms, not 150ms that pingmeter shows. Id say that u can safely decrease number that shows ingame by 50 or so and get somewhat closer to true ping that u have

The skill delay ingame ist not a "ping meter".

It does not make a simple echo request (like ping does) but counts the actual skill delay including computation time on the server.
So the 100+ms shown ingame are the time from you hitting a skill button to you seeing the damage you dealt on the screen. Actually you need to add a bit for your own PC to handle it... but it's close. That's why it only shows up in combat everytime you use a skill.

ICMP roundtrip time (ping) is only a part of that and the rest is mostly the time the gameserver needs to decide what effect your skill had. Most spikes are a result of the server being busy with requests.

Other games often just do what ping does - send an echo request to the server. That means it sends a small amount of data requesting the server to immediatelly send it back. This data will usually never reach the actual game server software but is handled by the OS.

If you suspect there is some network problem causing spikes, you should use ping, traceroute or some monitoring tool like pingplotter to check that. Search the forum for IP addresses of pingable servers in NCsofts pool.

4 hours ago, Slyce said:

The skill delay ingame ist not a "ping meter".

It does not make a simple echo request (like ping does) but counts the actual skill delay including computation time on the server.
So the 100+ms shown ingame are the time from you hitting a skill button to you seeing the damage you dealt on the screen. Actually you need to add a bit for your own PC to handle it... but it's close. That's why it only shows up in combat everytime you use a skill.

ICMP roundtrip time (ping) is only a part of that and the rest is mostly the time the gameserver needs to decide what effect your skill had. Most spikes are a result of the server being busy with requests.

Other games often just do what ping does - send an echo request to the server. That means it sends a small amount of data requesting the server to immediatelly send it back. This data will usually never reach the actual game server software but is handled by the OS.

If you suspect there is some network problem causing spikes, you should use ping, traceroute or some monitoring tool like pingplotter to check that. Search the forum for IP addresses of pingable servers in NCsofts pool.

Cant disagree, but anyway, i dont feel that my skills have 150ms ping as it says, i know how it is cause i played on na servers in other games while had 150+ms

Archived