Desolate tomb question about the marker

Natello

Hi guys, 

I've got two questions regarding the marker and the 2 man chains.

1. I know that on the 2man chain the tank and the marker have to share lightning in front of the boss. If the marker takes the lightning alone, he will die. So what will happen to the marker when 3 people take the lightning on the 2man chain phase?

2. I've been in a party where the marker kept dying on the 2 man chain. The tank which is also the 2 said that he took a lightning ball and stood next to the marker to share lightning. If he told the truth the marker shouldn't have died. Am I missing something here? Maybe a third person that stood too close to the marker? 

18 minutes ago, Natello said:

1. I know that on the 2man chain the tank and the marker have to share lightning in front of the boss. If the marker takes the lightning alone, he will die. So what will happen to the marker when 3 people take the lightning on the 2man chain phase?

First off, you're not required to share the lightning at all in front of boss. You can be as far from boss as you want, as long as both lightning orbs are collected for that certain phase and those orbs are transferred to the marker. If any person takes two orbs alone, they die. What is means by 3 people take the orbs is that 2 people who aren't marker take the 2 orbs, then stand behind the marker once the boss shoots that rod of lightning to marker. And for your question, the reason why the grabs are separated by who should be taking orbs and who shouldn't is because of the cooldown the lightning orb gives to those who collect them orbs. Once someone collects an orb, they shouldn't be taking another orb for the next grab. The only exception is Marker, because once they are grabbed (they are supposed to be grabbed because they too get this cooldown once hit by the lightning) the boss absorbs that stack, inflicting self-damage. As long as someone who doesn't have a cooldown from orb should be able to take during the 2m phase in 6man, even if it's not recommended. It's best to stay with the current strategy of 90% 2-3-2, 60% 3-2-3, 30% 2-3-2 because it is the easiest to maintain without getting all confused. It is also the only way I know of doing it in 4m mode. If someone were to take during 2m in a 4man party when they weren't supposed to, someone is bound to die, this is because in 4man, everyone in the party is responsible for doing the mech, and anyone doing the mech wrong will more than likely die.

32 minutes ago, Natello said:

2. I've been in a party where the marker kept dying on the 2 man chain. The tank which is also the 2 said that he took a lightning ball and stood next to the marker to share lightning. If he told the truth the marker shouldn't have died. Am I missing something here? Maybe a third person that stood too close to the marker? 

The other person taking the other orb (the tank) should not be standing too close to the Marker. This is because the lightning orbs can have a spread effect where anyone in the small radius of it gains the cooldown of the lightning orb. If the Marker were to have more than 1 stack during the 2m take, he would die. If you want no problems with this, tell the tank to stand halfways in the route the lightning orb goes to the marker (The lightning orbs always float to the marker), so that the orb will instead run into him without him having to stand too close to the marker. I've had this problem before, and just telling the other person during 2m take to stand a little further away fixes the problem. There should be no problem with the lightning share if this is done correctly, this is the only problem I can see making the Marker die. 

7 hours ago, BananaNinja said:

First off, you're not required to share the lightning at all in front of boss. You can be as far from boss as you want, as long as both lightning orbs are collected for that certain phase and those orbs are transferred to the marker. If any person takes two orbs alone, they die. What is means by 3 people take the orbs is that 2 people who aren't marker take the 2 orbs, then stand behind the marker once the boss shoots that rod of lightning to marker. And for your question, the reason why the grabs are separated by who should be taking orbs and who shouldn't is because of the cooldown the lightning orb gives to those who collect them orbs. Once someone collects an orb, they shouldn't be taking another orb for the next grab. The only exception is Marker, because once they are grabbed (they are supposed to be grabbed because they too get this cooldown once hit by the lightning) the boss absorbs that stack, inflicting self-damage. As long as someone who doesn't have a cooldown from orb should be able to take during the 2m phase in 6man, even if it's not recommended. It's best to stay with the current strategy of 90% 2-3-2, 60% 3-2-3, 30% 2-3-2 because it is the easiest to maintain without getting all confused. It is also the only way I know of doing it in 4m mode. If someone were to take during 2m in a 4man party when they weren't supposed to, someone is bound to die, this is because in 4man, everyone in the party is responsible for doing the mech, and anyone doing the mech wrong will more than likely die.

The other person taking the other orb (the tank) should not be standing too close to the Marker. This is because the lightning orbs can have a spread effect where anyone in the small radius of it gains the cooldown of the lightning orb. If the Marker were to have more than 1 stack during the 2m take, he would die. If you want no problems with this, tell the tank to stand halfways in the route the lightning orb goes to the marker (The lightning orbs always float to the marker), so that the orb will instead run into him without him having to stand too close to the marker. I've had this problem before, and just telling the other person during 2m take to stand a little further away fixes the problem. There should be no problem with the lightning share if this is done correctly, this is the only problem I can see making the Marker die. 

Thank you for your response.

Allright so during 2 man.. the tank and the marker both absorb one ball, then share the lightning is that correct? And during that.. the tank shouldn't stand too close to the marker.

I always thought the tank and the marker should stand close to eachother to share the lightning after they both took one ball.

I'll explain the abilities of the boss and how it's usually dealt with, that should prepare you better if something goes wrong but the situation is salvageable :)

the lightning buffs work on a stack system

the lightning balls give a mini-buff

the lightning chain gives the normal buff

if you get the minibuff 2 times it's transformed into the normal buff

so lightning orb + lightning orb = 1 stack

2 stacks = death

The lightning chain alternates between 2- and 3-chain. The first bolt is always sent to the marker. The chain can then jump to nearby players, if no players are nearby it will target the marker multiple times, resulting in at least 2 stacks = death

The boss will grab the closest player after the chain-attack. He will absorb their normal buff (will not absorb the mini-buff from the orbs).

There is no way to remove the mini-buff except letting it expire, because of this no player who is sharing the chains can take more than 1 orb in each phase.

The orbs do a small explosion when they are absorbed, so you do not want to stack up when orbs are being taken.

if 3 people stack up in the 2-man chain:
nothing dangerous here, the marker gets 1 of the stacks, and one of the other 2 gets the other one. Make sure the marker gets grabbed, and the person who didn't get the normal buff will join in on the next 3-chain.

if 2 people stack up in the 3-man chain:
the marker dies, simple as that. Regardless of orb consumption the marker will die, you should let 1 orb float free in this case, since the marker can't take it and the other person will get his orb. the chain will go Marker -> other Player -> Marker. The marker will die, and the other player should get grabbed. The marker needs to use ress charm instantly, or you need a SF or SMN to ress the marker as soon as possible. Let your 2-way chain player get the mark, then group up with marker like usual, marker gets grabbed this time and you are back to normal. (this will leave you with 2 buffs less for some time, but at least it's not a wipe, just a huge dps loss)

After the boss acquires the mark the players should get into position in front of the boss. The boss will always spawn the orbs to the west and east side of the room, if you are facing the boss north or south (as is recommended, default direction is north).

2-man chain: The marker stands on the spawn on one orb, the other player stands on the other (this will change the direction of the boss, don't worry about it). After the orb is absorbed run towards each-other, meeting in the middle. You both take the lightning-chain to the face, the marker positions the closest to the boss and gets grabbed.

3-man chain: The Marker should not absorb an orb in this phase. The other 2 players go to one side each, absorb the orb when it spawns, then run back in front of the boss, stacking up on the marker. The 3 players take the chain to the face, marker is in the front, gets grabbed.

This ensures the orbs are taken as soon as possible, and with 0 chance for the orb AoE to give unwanted mini-buffs.

Archived