Need Help Regarding GPU

Ryjian

Hello everyone. I'm hoping some computer tech savvy individuals could help me with an issue i am having with my AMD Radeon HD 7970.

Iv'e had no issues with this card at all until today. And the culprit is most likely the latest AMD Driver update known to fry some of peoples GPU's, etc. 

So i was running Awakened Necro earlier today when the game crashed and i got a screen full of Red and Orange lines. I couldn't Alt-tab or do anything. So i rebooted the computer and upon through the reboot sequence, i got more Colored lines and gray areas. I tried different monitors, nothing. I did a factory restore on my computer, roll backed GPU driver all the way, uninstalled, reinstalled, nothing. Although when i tried to install the latest driver for my GPU, it kept giving me errors that it couldn't be installed. Also, windows is not detecting my card anymore. Although, i'm still sitting here using it. I just have a bunch of green dotted lines all over my screen. Videos play fine and all that. I havent tried gaming yet, dont want to do anything rash. 

I'm guessing most people will either say 3 of the following.

1.) Your GPU is basically dead.

2.) Fully Re-update your computer and try to update GPU drivers again (Could be a retarded driver issue).

3.) And finally, if your GPU card is deemed dead, Bake it in the oven for a few minutes.

I would appreacite some insight if anyone experienced this particular issue. Thank you.

9 hours ago, Ryjian said:

Hello everyone. I'm hoping some computer tech savvy individuals could help me with an issue i am having with my AMD Radeon HD 7970.

Iv'e had no issues with this card at all until today. And the culprit is most likely the latest AMD Driver update known to fry some of peoples GPU's, etc. 

So i was running Awakened Necro earlier today when the game crashed and i got a screen full of Red and Orange lines. I couldn't Alt-tab or do anything. So i rebooted the computer and upon through the reboot sequence, i got more Colored lines and gray areas. I tried different monitors, nothing. I did a factory restore on my computer, roll backed GPU driver all the way, uninstalled, reinstalled, nothing. Although when i tried to install the latest driver for my GPU, it kept giving me errors that it couldn't be installed. Also, windows is not detecting my card anymore. Although, i'm still sitting here using it. I just have a bunch of green dotted lines all over my screen. Videos play fine and all that. I havent tried gaming yet, dont want to do anything rash. 

I'm guessing most people will either say 3 of the following.

1.) Your GPU is basically dead.

2.) Fully Re-update your computer and try to update GPU drivers again (Could be a retarded driver issue).

3.) And finally, if your GPU card is deemed dead, Bake it in the oven for a few minutes.

I would appreacite some insight if anyone experienced this particular issue. Thank you.

Bake it in the oven? Amateur, you have to microwave it at 80% power for 3 minutes.

On a serious note, try using the guy above's suggestion - plug/unplug it in the socket. Try using a different cable and make sure it's firmly connected to both sides. Then indeed try uninstalling the graphic drivers completely - use your motherboard video socket for a while, perhaps use some specialized software to remove it. Afterwards, install again. If nothing helps, pack it up and submit to warranty service.

The AMD update that fried people's GPUs was a thing a year ago, but I haven't heard of it since. (I heard that nvidia screwed their driver recently but they rolled it back and it's supposedly fine now).

What the others said,try those first but theres a high % that its ded.

I had 2 card die in the past showing the same symptoms:/

Had a 560 Ti die on me while I restarted my pc and went afk,came back and the screen had rainbow dots/lines all over it,I could still use the card for net browsing,etc..but nothing else.

Archived