What NC Soft shouldn’t have done to Silverfrost Mountains.

Kadrun

Most players remember that the protagonist (you) pledged to Mushin three times for his/her revenge on Jin Soyeon. With the power of Mushin, the character goes into the Dark Art and serve Mushin as his/her master (betraying Hongmun) . Then you came to Silverfrost Mountains, but soon find your character is doing anything but evil, which has nothing to do with the Dark Art.

Some may wonder why the epic stories (and some sub quests as well) in Moonwater and Silverfrost are having conflict each other. The answer is… Silverfrost Mountains has been rebooted.

When NC Soft exported the Blade & Soul to China, China not only licensed but created their own version of story at Silverfrost Mountains. Why? Simply 2 reasons. First, the original Silverfrost area required much higher computer spec (B&S always required high-end spec, from its birth to Moonwater) compared to previous updates. Average computer in China wasn’t able to run B&S if original Silverfrost is introduced (you should search the complicity of structure and HUGE area that original Silverfrost contained). Secondly, under the Chinese government gaming law, the protagonist can’t be “evil”. Therefore, Silverfrost was changed.

Then NC Soft decided to bring Chinese version to Korean server. When it was changed, people had excitement since B&S hasn’t updated new feature for quite long time. However, the result was the worst you can imagine. As explained above, new stories in Silverfrost have problem in connecting previous stories, and, most importantly, the entire story became DULL. Well, at least the last moment of Eight Guardians was much better than original.

Most players who played the original Silverfrost blame that introducing 유천 (Yu Cheon / Yu Chun) was the cause of the harsh criticism. Honestly, in my opinion, this Yu Chun guy should have joined Yes Men rather than Talus Empire.

Before reboot, other Talus commander named 황보석 (Hwang Boseok) had Yu Chun’s position. Unlike “superbly righteous” Yu Chun, Hwang had both good and evil existed within him. He is perhaps the most realistic character in entire B&S world.

Hwang, born as second son of Talus general, witnessed the death of his father by corrupted Talus officials, and swore to “cleanse” every single corruption by joining Talus academy. He finished academy as second place; however, because the first place guy named 정하도 (Jeong Hado / Jung Hado) made a decision to stay as bodyguard for the Talus princess, Hwang was not able to get promoted as a “manner” in the views of high officials.

To achieve his ultimate goal, Hwang executes emperor’s order precisely without having any doubt. The protagonist meets him at a village where Hwang’s soldiers and Hwang himself is raiding villagers for not paying taxes. The protagonist decides to join Hwang by helping him out collecting taxes and punishing villagers (villagers were allied with a group of thieves due to heavy taxes). Hwang then hire you as his mercenary forces and make you to do every dirty job such as killing innocent civilian in front of lying village chief, etc.

Hwang is merciless and has zero tolerance even to himself; in same time, he never takes any bribery or becomes corrupted. He spends his own money to have fun during vacation, and takes extreme care of his servicemen. He even refuses Soyeon’s order to send his men into area with full of disease and corruption by dark chi (he sends YOU!).

While you work as mercenary, Hwang arrests 소양상 (So Yangsang / Yun Sang), destroys every single group oppose to Talus Empire, and renegades called 복운회 (Bok Un Hoe / Ascending Cloud) who wants to restore the power of Stratus Empire by collapsing Talus Empire and all officials connected to it. When the job is done, he says “you are my man, remember that” to the protagonist, and helps you to get access to your deed.

After several achievements, Hwang finally becomes the general, he starts removing corrupted officials and tries to make the empire clean from inside as possible (you can find his letters in the pile complaining about the corruption among the officials directly to the emperor, but never delivered). His goal is almost complete along with the revenge for his father. However, he gets frustrated when he finds that the true emperor has been locked into the jail, and all he worked was just for Jin Soyeon herself, he draws sword to Soyeon but gets defeated.

It wasn’t clear what happened to Hwang after the event, but if you listen to npc, Hwang is presumed dead but no one witnessed actually.

Anyway, Hwang Boseok brought a lot more dynamic and dramatic moments (since the first half of Silverfrost quests are connected to him)., and showed how the protagonist develops in following the Dark Art and returns back to Hongmun (you were able to choose to stay as Dark Art).

I played both the original and rebooted version of Silverfrost. If we have chance to choose between two stories by any chance, I will definitely recommend the original and show my middle finger to the rebooted one.

My next write will be how rebooted Silverfrost fvcked up some character’s set up.

Actually took time to reading this, Original Silverfrost seems more connected to the plot i agree.

our current version has a lot of plot holes, but development still sort of stuck to the behavior Main character is supposed to act like when arriving to zaiwei, if you read Main character dialogue, you respond with rude comments, and hostile attitude

But there are some plot holes i dont understand that were missing in the main quest

Main story on na sux, as everything else ever in every single game ever to come from ch/jp/kr to Na. Its people mentality here, no matter what you do it will never be enough.

While I agree that story is utter shit, and you cant get ultimate bad ass as u should be able to working for Mushin, seriously even if some company work for like 10 years on a game

there will be always ungrantefully brats who will complain how the game don't match their "my little pony 360sniper cute cats" version of the game created in their own minds.

Better make a courses on how to make a games, and let everyone play what they des. themselves.

Archived