How well would this CPU work for BNS?

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646g3258 (G3258)

Its cheap as hell and ranks very well on this chart:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html (Higher than any AMD)

It can also be overclocked. I'd assume it would do well because its per core performance seems to be very good according to the chart and BnS is more about performance per core rather than quantity of cores. I just figured I would ask before I bought it because I am not totally sure and do not have the best knowledge on the subject. Thanks.

Don't go by those benchmark charts as they don't mean anything.  I always thought they did but found out they mean nothing when it comes to performance.

I will give an example, the GTX 285 that I purchased has a score of 1261 where a GTX 465 has a score of 2944 on that same site, so you think the GTX 465 would be better right? Nope, after reading websites the GTX 465 is about 6% worst than the GTX 285.  So yea, don't judge those scores as I think they mean something else besides performance.

But yea, the G3258 is what I am currently running with my GTX 285.  Great overclock CPU, mine is at 4GHz on stock fans and with aftermarket cooler could easily go 4.5+ with right set-up.  Good budget CPU if it is all you can afford.  Play Diablo 3 maxed everything at 200s fps and other games runs great, this game just runs like shit even on low or ghigh setting still runs bad.

27 minutes ago, feyan said:

to my understanding mmo-genre games perform better with more cores....=_="

a video from linustechtip..

Depends if the game is optimized to handle more cores. For example Lineage II didn't have quad core optimization, being an old game. To my knowledge they added that later but the result wasn't great.

28 minutes ago, Udunnome said:

Depends if the game is optimized to handle more cores. For example Lineage II didn't have quad core optimization, being an old game. To my knowledge they added that later but the result wasn't great.

mmos' to my knowledge generally should utilize higher amount of cores, as the sheer amount of process one map has can overwhelm duo-core processors leading to multiple different bad fluxes from small lag to crashes... plus with more cores the Ais' can act a bit more smarter but that server-side in this case.. ..............

while writing this "post"... i remembered...... this freaking game aint optimized at all for any config... and it came waybackwhen... man......=_="

On 19/3/2016 at 0:47 AM, rickmatthewsj said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646g3258 (G3258)

Its cheap as hell and ranks very well on this chart:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html (Higher than any AMD)

It can also be overclocked. I'd assume it would do well because its per core performance seems to be very good according to the chart and BnS is more about performance per core rather than quantity of cores. I just figured I would ask before I bought it because I am not totally sure and do not have the best knowledge on the subject. Thanks.

Its a good low budget CPU, and my expectations (professionally speaking) would be it would do decently for BnS. You should with a midrange GPU and 8 GB ram, reach a stable 60 FPS . whenever there arent raids or massive players on your screen.

Personally I´d recommend i3-6100 for a budget CPU. It´s still a very cheap CPU, that has the newer skylake architechture - great core by core speed and most importantly - one of my clanmates just bought a new rig - where I picked out all the components for him.

He´s extremely happy about the pc, which I spent a couple hours on videocall helping him assemble.

He has been running the new pc for 4 days now, without any difficulties, stable 60 FPS and he actually loads faster than most players whenever he cross-dungeon.

BnS benefits more from single-core performance, so if you threw an 8-core processor at it; you'd be wasting money. I'd focus more on future-proofing your computer as a blanket for all new/modern games than just BnS.

30 minutes ago, Eckogen said:

BnS benefits more from single-core performance, so if you threw an 8-core processor at it; you'd be wasting money. I'd focus more on future-proofing your computer as a blanket for all new/modern games than just BnS.

Most games just use 2 cores mainly - there´s a tendency to more games are using 4 cores - and a few titles that uses more than 4 cores/threads.

Right now, a quadcore i really all you need while a dualcore with 4 threads will do fine - as the GPU will more likely bottleneck long  before your cpu does. Generally speaking anyways-

Archived