Any options to improve the server situation?

LowTechRider

I know I'm just addin' fuel to the shit-storm, but there has to be a solution to this problem, right?

My only worry atm is that the devs put several ADDITIONAL servers online,

but DON'T add the feature to switch servers without any fees.

Because what use does it have if there is a shit-ton of servers,

but no possibility to switch without deleting chars, fees or anything else overcomplicated.

THAT doesn't help at all.

My guess on this topic is, that instead of adding more servers,

they should gradually upgrade the current ones so they can manage sth like 2500+ logins at the same time.

Or they should take my critical point and realize it.

Best regards,

A worried citizen (:D)

Just now, Infidel said:

It does help, because all of the other players trying out the game for the first time this weekend will be encouraged to go to those servers not pile on yours.

The only downside is when your intention is to play with a group, and the majority of them are on a server that is suffering pretty badly, under the guise of login congestion. I plan to wait this out at least, until the already established servers are improved upon.

they could allow more connection to 1 server but it seems like they are limiting it, or no one knows,...since I ran private servers before and there are ways to limit the amount of connections...or is there hardware max out that they can't allow more connection to one server?... is that why the line is so slow and long..or are they renting cheap game servers

Adding additional servers IS NOT a solution, it's a temporary band aid.

They add all these servers to accommodate the hype. The problem is that once the hype dies and players finally leave they end up with a few healthy servers and the rest dead servers. You now have a majority of players concentrated on a few servers and the rest spread thin across the remaining servers that were added.

I think you see people clustering around the launch servers because they know those are the ones that will most likely survive when the hype-train leaves the station.

• Increase server sizes: There is no logical reason besides saving money as to why adding three additional servers was done instead of this.
  • Merge all the servers into one big one: This would take more time to do than the first option, but due to character names being bound to all servers it should be a painless process that would completely solve this dilemma. Any further capacity issues could easily be remedied by increasing the server size of this giant server if it eventually has problems. It may be more work to maintain but this would ultimately solve the problem. 
  • Permanently allow server transfers: If it's such a big deal having this feature, make it a paid service. I'd pay for it since I don't want to waste who knows how many hours trying to grind a second Destroyer so I can be able to play when I want to, and I won't. I'd rather just just find something else to do, it's what I usually do when I see the queue. 

It honestly isn't as difficult as people or staff (assuming they are) make it out to be. MMO games have been successfully doing all three of those options for ages, and if you know anything about running servers, the cost to get the first two options done is usually just downtime and cost. The third option costs neither.

Archived