Nvidia Kernel Driver Crash only when playing Bns

Kolto

I can play for about an hour sometimes but I will get a locked up screen, sometimes it turns black, and a notification pops up saying that an nvidia kernel video driver 361.43(Driver Version) has stopped responding and recovered. It will force me to either end the task and launch the game again or actually restart my entire computer as it will just lock up the entire computer. I have 0 issues with any other game so its only clear than Blade and Soul is the cause

If anyone has had this issue and has found a fix please let me know. I have tried downgrading to older driver versions ( Yes I used DDU for a clean install ), Setting performance mode to maximum performance in NVIDIA Control Panel, Setting BnS to maximum performance, Used MSI Afterburner fan curve so I know for a fact nothing is overheating, Ran Virus/Malware scan and it came back clean.

Here are my specs

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.00 GHz

Memory: 16gb Corsair Vengeance Pro

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250G

MOBO: MSI Krait SLI z97s edition

This might be what's happening to me. I can't even get past the creation screen without it completely locking up my computer. My keyboard and mouse will even stop working and the only thing I can do is hard power the computer off. I haven't had any popups or errors, just freezes.

I actually thought my GPU was starting to die because it's a 560 TI which is pretty old. I realized that it's only having issues when I launch Blade and Soul though. Glad to know it's an issue with the game and the 361.43 drivers and not my actual GPU dying. Has anyone tried rolling back to older drivers to see if that fixes it?

I'm having issues too. My driver crashes repeatedly during character creation & the char selection screen, and that happens quite regularly (I can't sit in a queue without my driver crashing) and I've had one blue screen instead of a driver crash.

The issue is absolutely only with Blade and Soul, and only with the NA/EU client. I ran multiple games (Dragon Age: Inquisition, Elder Scrolls Online, & a few others), and I ran several benchmarks, and experienced no issues. My RAM, CPU, and GPU are in perfect condition. No other game or program has problems.

I have a 4GB EVGA GTX970 SSC Edition. I'm on Windows 10. I am not on the newest driver as it supposedly has issues. My driver is 359.06.

EDIT: Any driver after 359.06 crashes my entire system instead of the driver crashing. I've disabled every process and service (including Shadowplay and the xbox app) possible that isn't necessary for Windows and it still happens. :(

Im having the same issue. I ve been emailing back and forth to the Support Team and what they told me is that my internet sux and nvidia driver crashes? Its hard to believe, the made me download a ton of programs to test my pc :/ and I'm still unable to play....

Here is the copy of all the emails (start from bottom to top):

Alfred (Blade and Soul)

Jan 26, 22:30

Hello there,

According to this report, your connection is suffering from packet loss. If you are not familiar with this term, it simply means the loss of data while in transit from point A (your computer) to point B (our servers).

If you review the results of Ping Plotter, you should see solid red bars (lines) throughout the test. Each of these red lines is a spot where the connection just, well stopped. Either not enough information could be received or it wasn't sent. As such, the game is trying to adjust your position to your last known location. Because the server is always right, (this is a security measure for anti-cheating/hacking) the game is forced to adjust your location to where the server last thought you were. This causes your character to "snap back" or "rubberband" to that location. If not enough data is received in a period of time, then the game will likely disconnect you because it thinks you are no longer active.

Because the loss of data is happening prior to it reaching our game servers, you will need to contact your Internet Service Provider for assistance. I would highly recommend sending them the results of your Ping Plotter test so they can visually see the issue you are suffering from.

Regards,

Alfred
NCSOFT Support Team

Sheldyx

Jan 26, 17:26

I did the test while having BnS open on my character. The nvidia driver crashed once but it was able to recover quickly so i didnt have to restart the computer, in order for that happening i couldnt even move my character or else it would crash.I dont think its a network issue at all, im pretty sure its the nvidia driver that i mentioned on the previous email

What realm/server are you experiencing this issue on? Yunwa
Do you use DSL, cable, dial-up, satellite, or another connection method? ###
Do you use any routers, hubs, or switches? If so, could you tell us the make and model of that equipment? ####
Does your computer connect wirelessly, or does it use an Ethernet cable for connectivity (quick tip: If you're connecting wirelessly, please try a wired connection)?#####

Who is your Internet service provider? ###
Where are you located? Your city and state/province would be helpful. ######
Are you on a home, campus, business, or military network? ###
Do you use any Internet Security Applications (ISA) or firewalls such as CYBERsitter, ""Net-Nanny,"" ZoneAlarmr, McAfeer or NortonT? #####

Attachment(s)

manjo (Blade and Soul)

Jan 26, 08:52

Hello there!

To help us better understand the cause of this issue, please send us the following information about your network setup:

To start, please send us the following information about your client and network setup:

• What realm/server are you experiencing this issue on?
  • Do you use DSL, cable, dial-up, satellite, or another connection method?
  • Do you use any routers, hubs, or switches? If so, could you tell us the make and model of that equipment?
  • Does your computer connect wirelessly, or does it use an Ethernet cable for connectivity (quick tip: If you're connecting wirelessly, please try a wired connection)?
  • Who is your Internet service provider?
  • Where are you located? Your city and state/province would be helpful.
  • Are you on a home, campus, business, or military network?
  • Do you use any Internet Security Applications (ISA) or firewalls such as CYBERsitter, ""Net-Nanny,"" ZoneAlarmr, McAfeer or NortonT?
Additionally, I would like you to use a free-trial program called PingPlotter Standard that may be of some use to us in determining the health of your Internet connection while installing or downloading Blade and Soul. What this program will do is graph your Internet connection so we can visually see your connection to the Blade and Soul servers. This will help determine if the downloading issue is coming from your network, a data center in-between or if it's coming from the Blade and Soul servers themselves.

You can find the program and information on how to use it at http://www.pingplotter.com/download.html

Please download and install the Standard version of PingPlotter. Run the program and in the upper left corner you will see an """"Address to Trace"""": section.

In that field type in the following IP depending on if you are on an NA or EU server:

North America: 64.25.35.100

Europe: 206.127.148.16

Once the IP is typed in, click on the Trace button. Please allow the tool to run for at least 30 minutes even if you are unable to install, patch, or play. Once you have at least 30 minutes of data, please switch over to PingPlotter and click on the Stop button.

(NOTE: Please run the PingPlotter report during the time that you are experiencing this issue. So if you are experiencing lag or being disconnected in game, please run the report during these times if this is your issue.)

Next, click on File -> Save Sample Set and save the file to your computer in a location that will be easy to find, such as your Desktop. Then please update your incident at the provided link and attach the report.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

manjo
NCSOFT Support Team

Sheldyx

Jan 25, 23:40

It took me several tries because the game crashes many times. Here is my Speccy file.

Attachment(s)

Alfred (Blade and Soul)

Jan 25, 21:15

Hello there,

I would like to get more information about your system's hardware. There is a free program called Speccy that will create a detailed report about your computer’s components which can help me diagnose the cause of this issue.

To install and run Speccy, please use the following instructions:

1. Download Speccy from this link: http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download/standard
  2. Once downloaded, double click executable to start the installation process. NOTE - Before moving on to step 3 please log into blade and soul and then all the way into a character if possible. (You may need to ALT +Tab to get back to your desktop if the game is being run in fullscreen mode.)
  3. Once completed, double click the “Speccy” icon on your desktop.
  4. Once loaded, please click “File” then “Save Snapshot.”
    a. Note: If this option is grayed out, Speccy is still gathering the required information. Allow it a few moments to complete this process.
  5. Save this file to your desktop.
At this point, Speccy will begin generating the report. This will take a few minutes while it compiles all of the data that you just specified. Once completed, please update your ticket with the report.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have any additional issues, questions or concerns.

Regards,

Alfred
NCSOFT Support Team

Sheldyx

Jan 25, 20:41

I disabled windows defender but it crashed after 2 mins of playing. It seems that my Nvidia driver is the problem. I was able to read the message and it said that Nvidia kernel video driver 361.43 has stopped responding and recovered (well it didnt because my pc died and had to restart) In the official forum there is a thread with people having the same problem:https://forums.bladeandsoul.com/topic/149316-nvidia-kernel-driver-crash-only-when-playing-bns/

Your request (3629160) has been updated. To add additional comments, reply to this email.

Angelo (Blade and Soul) Jan 25, 15:29 Hello there,

Thank you for getting back to me on this issue. You may want to consider temporarily disabling or uninstalling Windows Defender in order to rule this program out as the issue.

Antivirus and firewall software play an important role in your computer security. They help protect your computer from viruses, malware and spyware infections. However, when protecting your computer, they can prevent legitimate programs or games from installing, updating or running. Disabling or temporarily uninstalling your security software can help resolve these conflicts.

Note: Some security programs will continue to partially run even when disabled. They may require full uninstallation or reconfiguration to resolve. ESET maintains a comprehensive list of common antivirus uninstallation tools on their website (http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN146).

If you are not comfortable configuring or uninstalling your security software, please contact your security software's technical support department for assistance. They may also be able to help you configure their product to not interfere with future game installation and patching.

Regards,Angelo
NCSOFT Support Team 

Sheldyx Jan 25, 14:53 Here are the Hijackthis and the DxDiag files. Attachment(s)
DxDiag.txt
hijackthis.log

Arvin (Blade and Soul) Jan 25, 03:05 Hello there,

We would like to review your running processes with a program called Hi-jack this:

Download and run HijackThis from the following link:http://sourceforge.net/projects/hjt/

Click the “Do a system scan and save a logfile” button.
Once the scan is complete, a text logfile will appear in Notepad. Save this file to your Desktop.
Once completed, please attach both files to your reply.

Regards,

Arvin
NCSOFT Support Team 

Sheldyx Jan 25, 02:56 The game freezes in some areas, character creation, character selection screen, when i die, etc. I tried everything from the msconfig to the repair and everything. I'm unable to do anything once the game freezes and I have to restart my pc, i saw 1 error message once about the kernel crashing (nvidia driver?) I really want to play this game, I even got premium account but i just cant with all this crashes. I can play other intense game without problems (like black desert, etc) Attachment(s)
DxDiag.txt

This email is a service from NCSOFT.

[1Q28L8-OM7J]

Angelo (Blade and Soul)

Jan 25, 15:29

Hello there,

Thank you for getting back to me on this issue. You may want to consider temporarily disabling or uninstalling Windows Defender in order to rule this program out as the issue.

Antivirus and firewall software play an important role in your computer security. They help protect your computer from viruses, malware and spyware infections. However, when protecting your computer, they can prevent legitimate programs or games from installing, updating or running. Disabling or temporarily uninstalling your security software can help resolve these conflicts.

Note: Some security programs will continue to partially run even when disabled. They may require full uninstallation or reconfiguration to resolve. ESET maintains a comprehensive list of common antivirus uninstallation tools on their website (http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN146).

If you are not comfortable configuring or uninstalling your security software, please contact your security software's technical support department for assistance. They may also be able to help you configure their product to not interfere with future game installation and patching.

Regards,

Angelo
NCSOFT Support Team

Sheldyx

Jan 25, 14:53

Here are the Hijackthis and the DxDiag files.

Attachment(s)

Arvin (Blade and Soul)

Jan 25, 03:05

Hello there,

We would like to review your running processes with a program called Hi-jack this:

1. Download and run HijackThis from the following link:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/hjt/

1. Click the “Do a system scan and save a logfile” button.
  2. Once the scan is complete, a text logfile will appear in Notepad. Save this file to your Desktop.
Once completed, please attach both files to your reply.

Regards,

Arvin
NCSOFT Support Team

Sheldyx

Jan 25, 02:56

The game freezes in some areas, character creation, character selection screen, when i die, etc. I tried everything from the msconfig to the repair and everything. I'm unable to do anything once the game freezes and I have to restart my pc, i saw 1 error message once about the kernel crashing (nvidia driver?) I really want to play this game, I even got premium account but i just cant with all this crashes. I can play other intense game without problems (like black desert, etc)

Attachment(s)

I've had this problems in B&S, as well as a few other games (especially rust). If you search the error message it seems it's something that's been happening for a long time with the Nvidia drivers. I've found that it mostly happens if I have twitch/youtube running at the same time (I have dual screens), if I don't have anything else open that's playing video then it very rarely happens

Disabling  NvStreamSvc NVIDIA Streamer ServiceNvStreamNetworkSvc NVIDIA Streamer Network Service and NvNetworkService NVIDIA Network Service seems to help a bit, instead of crashing every 5 mins it crashes every one hour or so as well when alt+tab. I was able to play for about 6 hours and the driver crashed around 5 to 6 times, most of the times the driver was able to recover and i didnt have to restart the PC. Before every crash I had to restart the pc.

The only one that i didnt disable was nvsvc NVIDIA Display Driver Service because i missed it but i will try disabling it and play later.

This is it, I was going crazy trying to find out why on earth my entire PC would freeze up...

I had to run a dungeon 4 times bcause it would freeze at the end fight.

GTX970, Win10

I hope they can see this and find a solution.

I'm also having this issue on Windows 10 with an EVGA GTX980. I've had the problem with the 361.43 driver, but that was only about once an hour, maybe longer per crash. After upgrading to 361.75 the problem has gotten much worse, maybe 5 to 10 minutes of gameplay before a crash.

Note: stopping services as others have suggested in the thread hasn't helped the problem for me.

Edit: Oddly on the latest drivers I seem to get better stability if I turn off anti aliasing and enable motion blur... which is weird.

So Ncsoft support team and I been emailing each other for 10 times so far about this issue (i posted some of those emails on earlier posts) The very last email (10th one) seems they have finally giving up and just told me they r sorry but they dont know how to fix it atm :/. Here is the last email from them. (in another words we r fu**ed)

Hello,

We apologize for the recent crash and disconnection issues you experienced after the maintenance. Rest assured we are working hard on a fix for these issues.

In the meantime, you can try the suggested workaround posted in our knowledge base article about the recent crash and disconnection issues while using Razer peripherals:
https://support.bladeandsoul.com/hc/en-us/articles/207814563

If the work-around above doesn’t work, you can also try uninstalling your Razer software and restarting your PC as a temporary solution. Our team is currently working closely with Razer on a solution for these issues.

In addition, you can also check out to the following forum thread for potential fixes:https://forums.bladeandsoul.com/topic/162803-new-patch-supportfix-thread/?page=1

Unfortunately, outside of the above mentioned work-arounds, there is nothing more we can recommend at this point. Please keep an eye on our website and forums for future updates.

We apologize sincerely for the inconvenience and we thank you for your patience.

Kind regards,

Jor-El
NCSOFT Support Team

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 3:30 AM, AirstrikeIvanov said:

same here, it crashes my GPU drivers.

NV GPU driver ver. 361.43

4GB EVGA GTX970 SC

Hmmm....I have the exact same GPU as you (GTX 970 FTW Edition) and I am also using the same driver 361.43 and I don't have any of these issues. Did you try the new driver 361.75 driver to see if it still crashes? Like someone else previously mentioned you should run a TEST of your RAM and also your PSU. If you haven't already definitely test those to ensure everything is good there.

im Nvida user to,,and this game its not work..i enter my pin..and then On dragon loadin screen...its loading like 15-20min...and its like HAVING a MASSIVE lag..my game stop for few seconds..start again loading..then stop and so own..it blocks..my other apications to lol..most of times i need to restart pc..idk..1 time..i entered on caracter..and frist NPC stop game...what is the problem..its like having MASSIVE lag and not connect...i dont have any error or somthing like that..just frezze like hell..and the game its loading 5 hours...then its stop becoz of frezze ..how to resolve this?

8 hours ago, Makonia said:

Hmmm....I have the exact same GPU as you (GTX 970 FTW Edition) and I am also using the same driver 361.43 and I don't have any of these issues. Did you try the new driver 361.75 driver to see if it still crashes? Like someone else previously mentioned you should run a TEST of your RAM and also your PSU. If you haven't already definitely test those to ensure everything is good there.

Not who you're replying to but: That's not the issue. It's not the driver (I have upgraded or rolled back to four different drivers now, from the newest to one from Nov), the graphics card, temperatures, any of the hardware, or anything else. I have tested every single piece of hardware (and disabled all non-windows software) on my system and literally Blade and Soul itself is the only problem. I have no issues on any other MMO or single player game, even a different region's release of BnS. Which is what is bothering me the most. It's obviously not the graphics or your hardware when almost the same exact game works perfectly whereas it crashes from the start on this release.

Archived