Is this performance normal?

Hello, I am a new player on BnS. I just finished the prologue and noticed that my fps is way lower than expected. My system is R5 7600x, MSI Gaming Trio 4080, 32GB DDR5 RAM, QHD resolution. I then checked the nvidia's performance overlay to see my gpu utilization and it was constantly at %99 even though I was only getting 70-80 fps, but the shocking part is that GPU Power was sitting at 350 watts! I have not overclocked anything in my system. This card isn't even supposed to go over 320 watts and in other games, ranging from basic-old gen graphics to next-gen path tracing graphics, I have never seen this card go over 300 watts. Now I'm wondering should I continue playing at max graphics settings and above normal power consumption, or should I lower graphics for now in hopes for the devs making better optimizations for this game, or is there any fix for this?

They just copy pasted the old BNS to UE4 project, they just improved the loading thats all ...

It's like we are mining money for them ...

Since a few patch the game became worse again ... Even with limiting the fps, the gpu keep burning for what ??!

Edited by RinDman

That is very strange. As im on UWQHD with weaker hardware and getting 85-115 (outside world boss and some select areas where it drops to 55ish).

Do you know what your ram timings are?

Are you on Windows 11 or 10?

Have you tried different Nvidia drivers?

Anyway biggest killer i think is shadow quality(4) and 'monster/other effects'(1). I drop these to keep frames smooth in places like CL. The numbered brackets are what I set my sliders to.

For reference my hardware. R5 5600, Ram 3200cas14, RX 6800 uses between 45 - 110watts), Windows 10

Nvidia GPU overusage is existing since the release of Windows 11. I believe it's connected to some changes in the gaming performance algorithm (in Win10 as well). I haven't experienced it with pre-Win11 nvidia drivers but those are considered as really old now. But ye, it can cause troubles in some (I noticed only in DX11) games, sometimes everything runs normally, sometimes GPU power consumtion goes high af. Even in BnS, there is maximum (or above max) GPU usage for no reason in 1 run out of 3-4 when spamming a dungeon. I'm underclocking my card while I'm playing BnS because I couldn't notice any gain with original OC from manufacturer.

On 6/16/2023 at 2:29 PM, twiDestroyer said:

have never seen this card go over 300 watts

With MSI, anything is possible tbh...

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the late replies, I've been doing life stuff and didn't play the game since I made this post.

Do you know what your ram timings are?

Memory Clock: 2600Mhz (5200MT/s 2x16 Kit)

Timings: 40-40-40-80-125 (CL-RCD-RP-RAC-RC)

On 6/22/2023 at 8:09 AM, matthew said:

Are you on Windows 11 or 10?

Windows 11. I'm starting to believe this OS is broken.

On 6/22/2023 at 8:09 AM, matthew said:

Have you tried different Nvidia drivers?

I haven't, but it has been updated since I last played BnS.

I'll give it a few more tries before uninstalling to make space on my SSD. I just noticed the game file was at 73GB lol.

On 6/20/2023 at 10:31 AM, RinDman said:

They just copy pasted the old BNS to UE4 project

I just hate when game devs just rely solely on the software and produce a game that's horrible in quality and optimization. Not specifically for this game, there are hundreds of UE games out there which the "devs" gave no attention to.