Account HACKED

20 hours ago, Giggle said:

In my line of work (Network Forensics and Intrusion Investigation) I've never once in my life had a case where it wasn't the user's fault,here go ahead and test it, make an account on a website, then never use the email/account/password again, and come back in 2 years, it'll be there untouched.

HOW PEOPLE STEAL YOUR BNS ACCOUNT:

1) You gave it to a friend

2) You signed up for a fan-site and used the same email/password so they just used that to change your BnS acc

3) You signed up for a gold/hack site and ^^^^^^ happened there

4) You clicked on an advertisement on a site that redirected you (with a keylogger) to the real BnS site and you logged in

5) Magical faeries used their super powers to just steal your information! Or maybe a keypad cracker like on the movies! Or the guy who types really fast in the CMD prompt and somehow has access to everything!

6)Common password that could be dictionary cracked(Ex. EggMuffin) which can't be done as each password entry has an encryption

HOW ENCRYPTION OF PASSWORDS ON YOUR COMPUTER WORK:

1)You type in pass Trick2G2 and enter

2)A random encryption is created (Ex. 6m485vI)

3) Any tracable info looks like this 6T8Gm4kcI8ir2v2 from encryption merging/randomizing

^^^^^Knowing this you can see why the GMs are telling you uppercase and lowercase letters and numbers should be added, it adds a ton of confusion on someone logging your network actions(which wouldn't happen in the first place unless you visited one of the listed sites above)

This isn't the movies guys, stealing your account is a LOT less glamorous than "elite hacking skills", if they found an exploit in the databse they wouldn't need your acc, they would just steal a GMs, change gold values to 9999, or reroute currency to a bank account.

I actually did get hacked by someone who used bot programs and cleaned out my inventory once in WoW.  The account was inactive and unsubbed for ~9 months.  One day 9+ months later, I get an email notice from Blizzard that my WoW account was banned because 3rd party programs were detected on the account.  I filed a ticket and immediately changed my password.  The old password was a mix of upper case letters, lower case letters, and numbers so it wasn't a brain dead easy password.  Though I did increase the difficulty substantially afterwards and added an authenticator after I filed a ticket to get my account back.

I never visited any shady sites, bought gold, or downloaded any keyloggers.  So when I say you shouldn't jump to conclusions about how someone is hacked, I speak from actual personal experience.  And when 100 people are saying they got hacked and didn't use keyloggers, bought gold, etc.  I tend to believe them unless evidence is provided to the contrary.

By the way, in my line of work, you should never jump to conclusions and assume something without evidence so my original statement about people who assume stuff still stands.  It reminds me of an old proverb.  "A person who doesn't know something is frightening.  A person who thinks they know everything is terrifying."

at some points, its better to eat the ban and not bother with the game at all. i have seen way too many post about accounts being hacked and bank accounts wiped clean. i do love this game, but ever since last week i started taking security measures which i shouldn't even be taking. I'm playing a *cricket*ing game, not some illegal underground crap. i seen people get hacked in other mmos, but never on this scale. I do hope they do something about this soon, because it is *cricket*ing ridiculous that players have to fear that their money is at risk

Archived