controls getting used to

Yashuoa

I just logged into the game for the first time to try it out for a bit and I experience some troubles with the movement and targeting.

What I tryed to do was move around like I did in some other mmorpgs but trying to move like I did in there didnt really work well.

So I tryed to get a feel for how it works in here, but I havent gotten that feel so far, so therefore I am here.

Any tips that you can share for someone who came from a different game, as in how to get used to this game movement, targeting and camera wise?

Also is there a way to rotate the camera so that I can check my character from the front

(not for combat or anything, just to see my character from the front ingame)?

Sorry I had  been overlooking something.

I have only tryed it out a bit to lvl 3 or something, so its all still new.

I just swapped a and d with q and e in the bindings and

that made the movement feel a lot more like I am used too.

The targeting mechanic I have gotten a better grasp for now too.
Its basically a bit of a shooter, having to keep the target in your crosshair so to speak right?

That means if someone is standing behind someone else, than you cant target that person?

Thanks for pointing out the alt inspection.

Yes the controls are more like the ones of a shooter, the crosshair is there to 'auto-lock' for you. Some skills requires a target, so you'll have to aim at them, others do not like the spin-2-win, or some skills shot in a linear manner. If someone is behind you, you'll have to turn or backstep so you'll face him again.

1 minute ago, Els said:

Yes the controls are more like the ones of a shooter, the crosshair is there to 'auto-lock' for you. Some skills requires a target, so you'll have to aim at them, others do not like the spin-2-win, or some skills shot in a linear manner. If someone is behind you, you'll have to turn or backstep so you'll face him again.

Sorry I was not all that clear.

I mean if an enemy is standing in front of me and one of that enemy his teammates is behind him.
Than I cant target the one in the back right? Because the enemy is standing in front of him.

Oh my bad. If you and the 2 targets are on the same line, then it will be very difficult to aim at the one behind, unless there's a difference in size. If the first one is small and the one behind is big you can target the one behind. If you move a bit on the side you can aim at the one behind.
Another case would be if you have many enemies packed, and you want to aim at the one in the middle but he's surrounded, it's very difficult to aim and the one in the middle of the others. But in that case you might just use AoE skills.

5 minutes ago, Els said:

Oh my bad. If you and the 2 targets are on the same line, then it will be very difficult to aim at the one behind, unless there's a difference in size. If the first one is small and the one behind is big you can target the one behind. If you move a bit on the side you can aim at the one behind.
Another case would be if you have many enemies packed, and you want to aim at the one in the middle but he's surrounded, it's very difficult to aim and the one in the middle of the others. But in that case you might just use AoE skills.

Nice to hear how you can take hits for a teammate by standing in front of him. 

Gives the fight some more depth.

However the size thing that you mention sounds kinda unfair for the large characters (in terms of still getting hit) or for smaller characters that its harder for them to take the hit for a larger character.

So being smaller or larger in this game can be a real advantage/disadvantage?

There are 2 things, the hitbox of your character, that tells you if you get hit by aoe, this one is the same for everyone.
And the size of your character that is used for targetting.
If you take the example of summoners and warlocks, summoners have a cat as pet, it's small, even if the summoner is a lyn and is small, the lyn cannot hide that well behind the cat. But the warlock summon a thrall which is quite big, and you can easily hide behind. So yes it can affects targetting.
I remember there were some settings to decide what is your prefered target, but i forgot what they were, maybe about debuffs, not sure.
In PvE, well you're against monsters so they aim at who they want to, in your case you might just AoE a pack til it dies.
In open world PvP, well it's like having 2 buses colliding or you're just a walker and a tank come and crush you, does not really matter there, people are taking so many hits that they will die quickly.
In Arena, 1v1, well nothing special here except summoners and warlocks that have pets.
In Arena 3v3, you're most of the time 1 v 1 in the arena, and other people can interfere for 5 secs, or you can swap, akin to some fighting games such as marvel vs capcom or tekken tag tournament.

Archived