3RF tips for those lacking in rhythm like myself

Kutsuu

While practicing 3RF I read and watched pretty much every guide and tip out there and was getting discouraged because I just couldn't find the timing. I finally worked something out that I can handle... hopefully it will help others. 

The things that helped me the most:

• Bind all 3 keys on the keyboard and do it with one hand. I was trying to hit 3 on my mouse followed by RF on the keyboard and it was a disaster. 
  • You need a greater pause between 3 and R than you do between R and F or F and 3. It's more like 3 -- R - F - 3 -- R - F and so on, with the dashes representing gaps in time between presses. I've seen people mention "the timing is different between presses" or "you just gotta figure it out" but this realization was a big one for me. 

I had a very hard time inserting the pause consistently... so I thought about how I could make it easier on my brain to process. What I ended up doing is binding 3 to C, R to Z, and F to X. So moving my 3 movement fingers down one row, I launch the CC with a thumb button on my mouse then hit C--Z-X-C--Z-X-C--Z-X. For me, it is easier to insert the pause when moving back to the "start" of the row of buttons.

Anyway I don't know if this will help anyone. It seems to come easier to most than it did for me and I know that my thought process is a bit weird. 

Someone mentioned a tip on Reddit that might help as well, in my experience I’ve felt that there was a short pause after the F which is why most of us pause a bit after the stun to start to shin kick.  You can try doing 3RF > 33RF > 33RF > 33RF and if your ping is a little higher you can 3RF > 333RF > 333RF…

Idk.. I can cancel F *almost* as fast as I cancel R. 3 is the one that is tough on timing for me. You have to cancel F early enough in the animation or it kinda forces you to finish it out. That may be what you're experiencing. 

I use the left click method, and the timing is a bit strange.

3 ••R (LMB)•F

I find having a slightly longer delay for Shin Kick is best. If it doesn't connect the entire chain fails, and canceling LMB into F is very quick. It took me about 10-15 minutes of practice to get the hang of it. Overall, though, I don't like playing the build for 3RF—to be fair, I'm not accustomed to it, yet.

1 hour ago, Eninya said:

I use the left click method, and the timing is a bit strange.

3 ••R (LMB)•F

I find having a slightly longer delay for Shin Kick is best. If it doesn't connect the entire chain fails, and canceling LMB into F is very quick. It took me about 10-15 minutes of practice to get the hang of it. Overall, though, I don't like playing the build for 3RF—to be fair, I'm not accustomed to it, yet.

Agreed, the extra timing needed between 3 and R is what threw me off so much. 

I have a Razer Naga Epic and I just did the key bindings so I could do it with one thumb on the keys that are attached to my mouse. 

For me, the easiest was binding it to 5(3), 6(R), 9(F). 

Just make sure that you space it out.  It seems pretty reliable for me so far.... the only thing that happens that throws me off is timing in the arena, because it isn't the same as it is when in PVE

1 hour ago, STR4ng3r said:

I was experiencing the "two dash" issue too, but then I realized that it works if you do it faster actually.

So it works if you go like: 3-R-F "halfdash" 3-R-F.....

For me at least, that always results in a straight jab instead of a shin kick on the second 3. 

On 26. 2. 2016 at 3:35 PM, Kutsuu said:

For me at least, that always results in a straight jab instead of a shin kick on the second 3. 

That was happening to me, too. But if i was a little bit faster (maybe it's really just a small window at the beginning of the Cyclone kick animation where it works, that's probable.), it connected. 

2 hours ago, STR4ng3r said:

That was happening to me, too. But if i was a little bit faster (maybe it's really just a small window at the beginning of the Cyclone kick animation where it works, that's probable.), it connected. 

Ah I think we misunderstood each other. The 2-dash issue I'm speaking of is between 3 and R. If you try to cancel 3 too early, you just straight jab and shin kick never goes off. 

7 minutes ago, Kutsuu said:

Ah I think we misunderstood each other. The 2-dash issue I'm speaking of is between 3 and R. If you try to cancel 3 too early, you just straight jab and shin kick never goes off. 

Ah, got it now ;) So we're talking about different issues :)

I guess that this issue of yours is probably latency-related, how's your ping?

1 minute ago, STR4ng3r said:

Ah, got it now ;) So we're talking about different issues :)

I guess that this issue of yours is probably latency-related, how's your ping?

Rock solid 41-45ms. I'm not the only one in this thread who noticed the timing is different. If you're canceling fast enough not to hear any hit connect sounds, there is a greater gap between 3 and R than there is between R and F or F and 3. 

1 minute ago, Kutsuu said:

Rock solid 41-45ms. I'm not the only one in this thread who noticed the timing is different. If you're canceling fast enough not to hear any hit connect sounds, there is a greater gap between 3 and R than there is between R and F or F and 3. 

I usually check the combat log if I'm not sure about the timing, but you are right about the different button-press delays needed for the combo to work. However that's just the routine issue I guess, like with everything else :)
Also, congratz to your ping, not many ppl are lucky to have solid latency ;)

2 minutes ago, STR4ng3r said:

I usually check the combat log if I'm not sure about the timing, but you are right about the different button-press delays needed for the combo to work. However that's just the routine issue I guess, like with everything else :)
Also, congratz to your ping, not many ppl are lucky to have solid latency ;)

It's not necessarily an issue, and this isn't a complaint thread. I just didn't see anyone out there talking about it... all the videos/threads and such said "The timing is different between presses" and when asked for specifics they said "you gotta figure it out." It would have saved me a lot of time to read a thread like this one that actually points out where the timing difference is. 

I have the same arena latency issues that everyone else does occasionally, but I get the feeling that the servers running arena instances are just overloaded with bots queuing and it's unavoidable until they figure something out to curb them. 

2 minutes ago, Kutsuu said:

It's not necessarily an issue, and this isn't a complaint thread. I just didn't see anyone out there talking about it... all the videos/threads and such said "The timing is different between presses" and when asked for specifics they said "you gotta figure it out." It would have saved me a lot of time to read a thread like this one that actually points out where the timing difference is. 

I have the same arena latency issues that everyone else does occasionally, but I get the feeling that the servers running arena instances are just overloaded with bots queuing and it's unavoidable until they figure something out to curb them. 

Yeah, that's right, this type of thread is missing here. Just to be clear, I didn't thought this is a complain thread at all ;)

Server issues are surely true, mainly because all the bots and maybe some other things less obvious than those, I just hope that NCsoft will solve it as soon as possible. KfM is unfortunately very latency-sensitive class, which is the only thing that holds back the enjoyment and fun ;)

Archived