[Settings bug] ClientConfiguration.xml resets to default with launch of Client

Equ

My settings get reset to default with each launch.

I tried to monitor when and how the content of the ClientConfiguration.xml file in Documents (BnS\NCWEST) change:

Starting point: After closing the game my settings are still saved and it's all good.

• I launch the NCSOFT NCLauncher
  • Hit Play Now
  • The launcher verifies the files (There is always an 85 Byte file which gets re-acquired)
  • It starts the Game Launcher (that little window)
  • The circular Blade & Soul icon comes up
  • =====Until this point the .xml file still had my previously personalized settings=====
  • But as soon as Blade & Soul (Client.exe) starts, the .xml file gets overwritten and reset to default values.

This has been happening to me ever since B&S is live.

I wonder if the issue lies within the game or my end.

My rig:

i7-2600 @3.40GHz (the non-k edition)
GX 750W power supply
Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 with latest beta drivers running in boost mode
8 GB RAM (2x 4 GB)
1440p display
64 bit WIN 10 Pro (Booting up from a Corsair Force GS SSD)
Game is installed on my SSD directly on the C drive
HDD: Hitachi HDS723020BLE640 (7200 rpm, 2TB) - I have my Documents folder on this drive
ASUS P8P67 LE motherboard

I would appreciate some help and advice if anything on my end could cause this issue to happen and persist.
And is there anyone else with this problem?

2 minutes ago, Nadeshko said:

im guessing we have the same problem do you get at  a blade and soul crash report that says something about a DLL list and no actual error numbeR?

this is what is happening to me also.

If you mean the launcher settings, then there I have not changed anything, other than the region to EU in the beginning, but the launcher settings get saved thankfully. My in-game settings are the ones which get reset.
But strangely Camera settings seem to persist, while other settings such as Sound or Interface get reset as soon as Client.exe starts.

During installation I don't remember anything, only that I chose to install the game on my C drive

Edited by Equ
format & grammar

9 hours ago, Equ said:

My settings get reset to default with each launch.

I tried to monitor when and how the content of the ClientConfiguration.xml file in Documents (BnS\NCWEST) change:

Starting point: After closing the game my settings are still saved and it's all good.

• I launch the NCSOFT NCLauncher
  • Hit Play Now
  • The launcher verifies the files (There is always an 85 Byte file which gets re-acquired)
  • It starts the Game Launcher (that little window)
  • The circular Blade & Soul icon comes up
  • =====Until this point the .xml file still had my previously personalized settings=====
  • But as soon as Blade & Soul (Client.exe) starts, the .xml file gets overwritten and reset to default values.

This has been happening to me ever since B&S is live.

I wonder if the issue lies within the game or my end.

My rig:

i7-2600 @3.40GHz (the non-k edition)
GX 750W power supply
Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 with latest beta drivers running in boost mode
8 GB RAM (2x 4 GB)
1440p display
64 bit WIN 10 Pro (Booting up from a Corsair Force GS SSD)
Game is installed on my SSD directly on the C drive
HDD: Hitachi HDS723020BLE640 (7200 rpm, 2TB) - I have my Documents folder on this drive
ASUS P8P67 LE motherboard

I would appreciate some help and advice if anything on my end could cause this issue to happen and persist.
And is there anyone else with this problem?

Please try:

1. Exit game and make sure there are no left over BnS processes from task manager.

2. Edit ClientConfiguration.xml as preferred then save.

2. Right click ClientConfiguration.xml > Properties

3. Check "Read only"

4. Re-run client

15 hours ago, Emya said:

Please try:

1. Exit game and make sure there are no left over BnS processes from task manager.

2. Edit ClientConfiguration.xml as preferred then save.

2. Right click ClientConfiguration.xml > Properties

3. Check "Read only"

4. Re-run client

I tried to set it to Read only, but somehow the game still manages to overwrite or just replace it, I don't even know anymore.

I think I finally have an idea why this is happening though.

My Documents folder (along with Desktop, Pictures etc) is not on my C drive. I have it on my D drive instead in a root folder, which has special characters in its name (ő).

So I believe this is what might have confused the system a bit.

I found out about this when I out of context tried to create a batch file and realized it doesn't work if the path has special characters in it.

I'm too afraid to edit the name of that root folder, because it may mess paths up for everything else. I'll look into that.

The files, which search for sources such as that .xml file, have wrong encoding, which does not detect special characters like ő.

But the system is still able to use the path somehow and then create the default version of that .xml file there.

Edited by Equ
correction

• 11 months later...

I've experienced the same thing when I get my new laptop.. I even sent tickets to NC. However, it doesn't work. 

I found out now. The problem is OneDrive service. Newer computers default setting is to save documents in OneDrive instead of the hard drive. You have go to OneDrive setting and change your documents as "this pc only"

then problem solved 

• 11 months later...

This is super old but I hope it helps someone else out in the future. I experienced, and fixed (worked around), this problem the other day. My audio device name had an apostrophe in it. When the game writes the config file out on save it does not properly escape it so you end up with a line like this:

<option name='voice-chat-output-device' value='Speakers (I'm Fulla Schiit)'/>

The apostrophe is used for both quoting the value and in the name itself. This breaks the config file so it can't be loaded on the next restart and leads to it getting replaced by the default config.

You could edit the settings file to change the quoting/escaping but the next time you edit your config file it'll just break.

I was able to perform a registry edit instead to change the device name from "I'm Fulla Schiit" to "I am Fulla Schiit". Once I relaunched the game and fixed up my settings everything was fine.

To do this you'll want to identify the offending device and characters (this will take some trial and error, but it's almost certainly going to be an apostrophe in a device name causing the problem).

After you need to open up device manager, find the device, open its properties, go to the details view (probably a tab) and then find the Driver Key property and copy it. This will be a string like:

{c166523c-fe0c-4a94-a586-f1a80cfbbf3e}\0009

Next, open up the registry editor (regedit) and perform a find for that value. You'll most likely find it under Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USB, Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\HID, or Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\SWD.

Once you do you'll be focused on a value named "Driver". You should see another value named "Friendly Name". Edit that value and remove the offending character. You will then probably need to go back to device manager and perform Action>Scan For Hardware Changes. The name change should now be reflected in your system.

Edited by keipra

• 1 year later...