Are my specs worse than I thought?

Zykiiel

Sooo, I bought this particular laptop as a gaming laptop back in 2012. 

I thought with its specs it should be handling a lot of things pretty well still...but I'm finding that I really only get smooth FPS rates when I'm in a solo dungeon (with the lower settings), in the open world its pretty choppy but manageable, arena is slightly better than open world but worse than solo dungeons; but 6 man dungeons are absolutely dreadful.

When I tried the Heaven benchmark it got like a score of 42 and avg fps of 10. O.o (not really sure what that means though other than probably bad esp considering 10 fps)

In game, I have just about everything on setting 1 except for personal sfx and the draw distances which are at 3. 

Normally when I play I have chrome (typically for pandora) and skype open in the background, but my internet speeds are fine I know. 

I've never really been able to read specs to see how good they are (even when reading comparison charts), so could someone help me out?

How much do you think these specs should be able to handle?

These are my specs:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2670QM   CPU @ 2.20GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.2GHz

Memory: 8192MB RAM

GPU... under dxdiag display tab it says: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000, 1664 MB Approx. Total Memory

but I also have the nVidia GeForce GT 555M ....these aren't the same things, right? uhhh

If I'm missing something please let me know...

If I should be able to handle the higher settings, what can I do to make my computer run better? Should I just do a factory wipe to start from a clean slate and just redownload the essentials?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: because I accidentally hit post before I was done inputting specs

I bought a laptop for gaming but its not a gaming laptop by any means. Before I bought it, I checked out all the specs out on gpu/cpu benchmarks and bought the laptop with the highest CPU/GPU performance rating.

I'm pretty happy with this laptop it was cheap, refurbished, and preowned. The only thing I would change is getting it more RAM. I can play BnS on max with no visual lag.

Toshiba L850 - 2013 model

Windows 8.1 Home 64-bit

Intel i5 3230M @ 2.6GHz

4GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 7670M 2GB VRAM

1 TB HDD

EDIT: Intel Graphics integrated cards are poor in my opinion. Mainly because they do not process the same information gaming video cards do (pixel shading, and etc) they are basic office use video cards.

If you can disable the intel card and use the Nvidia card that would be great.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

Find your specs on these sites and compare with mine for reference if you want.

OKAY...so I figured out what's wrong, and should just delete this thread but I think this might be useful info for others.

It turns out that my computer has 2 graphics cards installed on it...the  Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000  AND the   nVidia GeForce GT 555M . What my computer SHOULD have been doing since I bought it back in 2012 is choosing the best card to use for each program when it's opened automatically. 

This however is exactly what it hasn't been doing though. It's been defaulting on the Intel Graphics card...

...I've been playing every game on my laptop on the Intel Graphics card for the past 4 years. 

I've managed to go into the settings and force my computer to now choose the nVidia card.

Needless to say my fps has just shot up to 30+fps at setting 4 for everything, currently I'm just running around Greenhollow, I'm sure if I turn down shadows it'll go up. 

I think I should give myself a good slap in the face and be awarded the idiot of the year award?

6 minutes ago, Zykiiel said:

OKAY...so I figured out what's wrong, and should just delete this thread but I think this might be useful info for others.

It turns out that my computer has 2 graphics cards installed on it...the  Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000  AND the   nVidia GeForce GT 555M . What my computer SHOULD have been doing since I bought it back in 2012 is choosing the best card to use for each program when it's opened automatically. 

This however is exactly what it hasn't been doing though. It's been defaulting on the Intel Graphics card...

...I've been playing every game on my laptop on the Intel Graphics card for the past 4 years. 

I've managed to go into the settings and force my computer to now choose the nVidia card.

Needless to say my fps has just shot up to 30+fps at setting 4 for everything, currently I'm just running around Greenhollow, I'm sure if I turn down shadows it'll go up. 

I think I should give myself a good slap in the face and be awarded the idiot of the year award?

I knew it had to be something like this. Intel HD cards are crap lol Great to see the Nvidia is better for you :)

Graphic cards are hard to change btw you have to break down the whole laptop and if its an integrated chip, welp you're screwed

Archived